Chinese Open Mold Gravel / CX Bikes

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

garbageman

by garbageman

Jonolsson wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:15 pm
Carbonda 696
Grx di2
PRIME kanza carbon 650b with 45mm tires

I've buyed a set of Velosa Cx45 sl wheelset for road use, but it's imposible to mount the tires Image

Enviado desde mi POCO F2 Pro mediante Tapatalk
What size frame is it?

Jonolsson

by Jonolsson

garbageman wrote:
Jonolsson wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:15 pm
Carbonda 696
Grx di2
PRIME kanza carbon 650b with 45mm tires

I've buyed a set of Velosa Cx45 sl wheelset for road use, but it's imposible to mount the tires Image

What size frame is it?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cajer

by cajer

Has anyone ordered from rinasclta before? They seem to have an interesting fully integrated aero gravel frameset for sale.

https://rinascltabike.com/carbon-gravel-bike-frame/

Otherwise does anyone know of a good Chinese gravel bike with rear pannier mounts? I'm planning to use it as a commuter, grocery bikes, and maybe some light gravel

Aesch

by Aesch

The good old 696 offers rack mounts

Discodan

by Discodan

So, I've been following this thread for a good year now after originally looking for a carbon G bike. My search had moved to the burlier end of the gravel spectrum and in particular some steel frames that can take some wider tyres, in excess of 50mm on 650b. The release of the Canyon Grizl recently got me thinking about whether I can get that big tyre clearance for 1kg less than steel and without paying Open W.I.D.E prices.

What's the collective wisdom on whether there's an open mold frame that ticks the following boxes?
- 50mm+ clearance
- flat mount brakes
- 12mm F&R TA
- 1200g or less
- prefer round seatpost
- Ideally relaxed geo (handling geo that is, not the position)

I haven't found the unicorn yet but maybe it's out there somewhere

thanks in advance, d

jever98

by jever98

carbonda 696 or 707
----
No longer in the industry

Discodan

by Discodan

Thanks, the 707 looks pretty interesting but would love to be able to squeeze a bit more tyre in there. I've come to the conclusion that bigger is just better when it comes to gravel tyre, provided you pick something light and fast rolling

jever98

by jever98

Both the 696 and 707 have 50+mm clearance. 50mm on 700c, 2.1" on 650B.

I personally haven't ridden bigger than 42mm myself and find the bigger the tyre, the heavier and more sluggish it gets...
----
No longer in the industry

Discodan

by Discodan

I suspect it depends a lot on the terrain; on rough descents the volume gives so much more control and therefore speed than you lose on the flats. Smooth gravel roads I'd agree on the 40mm being better but it's hard to tell by how much

emotive

by emotive

jever98 wrote:Both the 696 and 707 have 50+mm clearance. 50mm on 700c, 2.1" on 650B.

I personally haven't ridden bigger than 42mm myself and find the bigger the tyre, the heavier and more sluggish it gets...
I am safely running 650b x 55mm (Width as Measured) on my 696. We don’t get mud where I ride so the 3mm clearance at the back is fine and I have plenty of clearance up front.

Im not familiar with any chinese carbon gravel frames with more clearance than the 696/707. If there was a frame similar to the WI.DE I would have heard about it.

garbageman

by garbageman

cajer wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 5:41 pm
Has anyone ordered from rinasclta before? They seem to have an interesting fully integrated aero gravel frameset for sale.

https://rinascltabike.com/carbon-gravel-bike-frame/

Otherwise does anyone know of a good Chinese gravel bike with rear pannier mounts? I'm planning to use it as a commuter, grocery bikes, and maybe some light gravel
Never heard of rinasclta, but that's the same mold as the Tantan GR044.

emotive

by emotive

Discodan wrote:I suspect it depends a lot on the terrain; on rough descents the volume gives so much more control and therefore speed than you lose on the flats. Smooth gravel roads I'd agree on the 40mm being better but it's hard to tell by how much
On 50/50 mixed tarmac/gravel routes I find a 38mm slick fastest.

On 100% gravel roads I still find a 38mm slick fastest but it’s nice to have some side knobs for cornering confidence. I am using a 42mm Specialized Pathfinder for this type of riding and it costs me very little in average speed.

For fore trails and rougher gravel, once my average speed gets down to 18kmh I find the 650b x 2.1 is just as fast and more assured on descents and rougher surfaces.

Experience is also a factor. I’m coming to gravel from road. I find the more experience I gain in riding gravel the less tyre I need as I am getting better at dodging obstacles, picking my lines, and cornering at speed. My mates with MTB experience still ride away from me on descents and when it gets rough, just from experience and confidence in being a bit out of control.

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

The 696 has tones of space front and rear for tyres.
I'm thinking about trying my 26inch wheels with 2.25s

Discodan

by Discodan

Thanks guys, it looks like the 696 or 707 are a good option. I lean towards the 707 of the two given the slacker geo and option for integration (although I'd use external cables most likely). Will get in touch and see what they can do

Cheers

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Marin

by Marin

emotive wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 6:21 am
jever98 wrote:Both the 696 and 707 have 50+mm clearance. 50mm on 700c, 2.1" on 650B.

I am safely running 650b x 55mm (Width as Measured) on my 696. We don’t get mud where I ride so the 3mm clearance at the back is fine and I have plenty of clearance up front.

Im not familiar with any chinese carbon gravel frames with more clearance than the 696/707. If there was a frame similar to the WI.DE I would have heard about it.

Do you think I could fit a 58mm 650b G-One in there? I'm looking for a new fork for my ti bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com