Chinese Open Mold Gravel / CX Bikes

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Metaluna

by Metaluna

Twowheeler wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:29 pm
If you look back in the thread someone mentioned that the Workswell is the same as the Angle cycle frame. The people have built up that frame on this thread.

I haven't looked into it to much but the frames do look identical. It's my understanding that there Chinese companies often have multiple branding for the same factory frames.
I went back and checked and, unless I'm missing something, I think those posts were referring to the WCB-R-125. The 146 looks more like the Open "New" U.P. but with more relaxed, upright geometry (taller stack, longer seat stays). Plus it looks like it takes a standard 27.2 mm seatpost so I can reuse my trusty Thomson.

Twowheeler

by Twowheeler

Metaluna wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:54 pm
Twowheeler wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:29 pm
If you look back in the thread someone mentioned that the Workswell is the same as the Angle cycle frame. The people have built up that frame on this thread.

I haven't looked into it to much but the frames do look identical. It's my understanding that there Chinese companies often have multiple branding for the same factory frames.
I went back and checked and, unless I'm missing something, I think those posts were referring to the WCB-R-125. The 146 looks more like the Open "New" U.P. but with more relaxed, upright geometry (taller stack, longer seat stays). Plus it looks like it takes a standard 27.2 mm seatpost so I can reuse my trusty Thomson.
Yes I think you're right. Interesting looking frame though. Let us know if you get in touch with workswell or order a frame. I'd be interested to hear about your experience.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

I've been googling but cannot find any concrete review or similar. I'd like to replace my Trek Boone disc to 3T exploro. Problem is that I do some CX racing and I'm wondering if the geometry suits that, maybe BB too low with CX tires, handling in general etc. Anybody who has experience on 3T exploroon CX?
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

ms6073

by ms6073

Twowheeler wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:56 am
Let us know if you get in touch with workswell or order a frame. I'd be interested to hear about your experience.
I submitted a request about the WCB-R-146 via the contact form on the Workswell website yesterday but have yet to receive a response.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

agjell

by agjell

ms6073 wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:33 pm
Twowheeler wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:56 am
Let us know if you get in touch with workswell or order a frame. I'd be interested to hear about your experience.
I submitted a request about the WCB-R-146 via the contact form on the Workswell website yesterday but have yet to receive a response.
I also submitted a request through the form. It took two business days before I got a response, and they were a bit less proficient in English than Carbonda. But I had no problems understanding the content, and the ordering process seemed simple and organized. However, right now the Qingming festival is on in China, so you may not get an answer before next week.

Metaluna

by Metaluna

Just an update: I went ahead an ordered a WCB-R-146 about a week ago. The person I talked to, "Stephie" (aka sales11 (at) workswellbikes) was commendably helpful and polite, though this is my first time doing this so I don't have much to compare to. Turnaround time for answering questions was about a day, which is reasonable considering the 12 hour time difference. I ended up getting a size 56, BB86 (the only option available despite the website listing BSA), UD Matte finish. She also gave me the option of having the fork legs drilled for a rack, which I declined (didn't want to do anything that would weaken the structure). I also got a headset, thru axles, and some extra derallieur hangers for a little extra money. The UD Matte finish is supposed to add about 7-10 days, so I expect it will be a while before it shows up at my door.

The only thing I'm a little bummed about (other than BB86) is that the fork doesn't appear to have a hole in the crown for fenders or a light, but it wasn't a deal breaker. I'm not sure if it will have clearance for fenders anyway after I put my 47x650b wheels on. I forgot to ask if drilling the fork legs would have also included doing the crown.

fasdflkjweorinjs

by fasdflkjweorinjs

Metaluna wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:57 pm
Just an update: I went ahead an ordered a WCB-R-146 about a week ago. The person I talked to, "Stephie" (aka sales11 (at) workswellbikes) was commendably helpful and polite, though this is my first time doing this so I don't have much to compare to. Turnaround time for answering questions was about a day, which is reasonable considering the 12 hour time difference. I ended up getting a size 56, BB86 (the only option available despite the website listing BSA), UD Matte finish. She also gave me the option of having the fork legs drilled for a rack, which I declined (didn't want to do anything that would weaken the structure). I also got a headset, thru axles, and some extra derallieur hangers for a little extra money. The UD Matte finish is supposed to add about 7-10 days, so I expect it will be a while before it shows up at my door.

The only thing I'm a little bummed about (other than BB86) is that the fork doesn't appear to have a hole in the crown for fenders or a light, but it wasn't a deal breaker. I'm not sure if it will have clearance for fenders anyway after I put my 47x650b wheels on. I forgot to ask if drilling the fork legs would have also included doing the crown.
I just requested a quote from Workswell for the WCB-R-146 as well. I'm really interested in how your build goes! I can see from workswell's photos that there's a fender hole drilled into the crown of the fork.

What fenders are you planning on buying and what size? I was looking at Velo Orange fenders but I'm not sure what size I should get.

I'm also planning on buying some cheap carbon disc 650b wheels to complete my build.

Metaluna

by Metaluna

fasdflkjweorinjs wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:37 pm

I just requested a quote from Workswell for the WCB-R-146 as well. I'm really interested in how your build goes! I can see from workswell's photos that there's a fender hole drilled into the crown of the fork.

What fenders are you planning on buying and what size? I was looking at Velo Orange fenders but I'm not sure what size I should get.

I'm also planning on buying some cheap carbon disc 650b wheels to complete my build.
I can see some sort of feature on the surface there, but it's hard to tell what it is. There are other photos from the front that appear to show a smooth crown (except for the internal routing hole):

I suppose there could be a threaded insert in back for a fender but not a full through hole. I don't have a ton of experience with carbon gravel forks so I don't know if this common. Most of the carbon forks I've owned over the years have been road forks which were all drilled through for rim brakes, plus one CX disc fork that had a hole there anyway. Or some of the photos could be inaccurate or retouched to remove the holes for some reason.

I don't have a good fender strategy right now for my 650b wheelset with the WTB Horizons. The VO 650b Zeppelins are a possibility but they're only rated for 44mm tires and the Horizons are 47. Maybe the 700c version would sit a litter farther from the tire and give more clearance, if they even fit the frame/fork. If not I'll probably have to settle for one of those partial coverage MTB fenders that hang off the seatpost in the back and strap to the underside of the down tube on the front. Better than nothing.

fasdflkjweorinjs

by fasdflkjweorinjs

Just heard back from coco. They only have bb86. No BSA unfortunately. Blah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fasdflkjweorinjs

by fasdflkjweorinjs

How weird would 650b wheels with 700c fenders look?

Metaluna

by Metaluna

fasdflkjweorinjs wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:56 am
Just heard back from coco. They only have bb86. No BSA unfortunately. Blah.
Yeah, that put me off for a while, though from what I've heard, bonding the alloy BSA sleeve into carbon can have problems too (I have a friend who had an issue with his TT bike, but it was a high-dollar name brand frame so he was able to deal with it through his LBS).

I bought a Wheels Mfg thread-together BB, so hopefully that will head off any problems, though the BB + installation tools add around $100-150 to the overall cost.

Metaluna

by Metaluna

fasdflkjweorinjs wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:14 am
This is the wheelset I intend to use, currently fitted to my old steel CX bike with Bontrager NCS 700x35 fenders (the front anyway. The rear fender wouldn't clear so I had to remove it). I think they look reasonable, taking into account that they're way too narrow laterally, but you can judge for yourself.

Keep in mind that a 650x38mm tire is supposed to have about the same outside diameter as a 700x23, and a 650x47 like these WTB Horizons are supposed to be around 700x30, so IMHO the fenders look fine from the side. If I had a pic from the front you would clearly see that the curve of the fenders is too narrow across the width, and the sidewalls actually stick out a little to either side. But the fender coverage is good enough to get the job done and they look decent to my eyes, if only I can get the rear one to fit on the new frame.

Another option would be to go with a smaller tire like a Babyshoe Pass 650x42, but now you're changing the ride and handling characteristics of the bike just to accomodate the fenders, which seems wrong to me.

fasdflkjweorinjs

by fasdflkjweorinjs

Metaluna wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:42 pm
fasdflkjweorinjs wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:14 am
This is the wheelset I intend to use, currently fitted to my old steel CX bike with Bontrager NCS 700x35 fenders (the front anyway. The rear fender wouldn't clear so I had to remove it). I think they look reasonable, taking into account that they're way too narrow laterally, but you can judge for yourself.

Keep in mind that a 650x38mm tire is supposed to have about the same outside diameter as a 700x23, and a 650x47 like these WTB Horizons are supposed to be around 700x30, so IMHO the fenders look fine from the side. If I had a pic from the front you would clearly see that the curve of the fenders is too narrow across the width, and the sidewalls actually stick out a little to either side. But the fender coverage is good enough to get the job done and they look decent to my eyes, if only I can get the rear one to fit on the new frame.

Another option would be to go with a smaller tire like a Babyshoe Pass 650x42, but now you're changing the ride and handling characteristics of the bike just to accomodate the fenders, which seems wrong to me.

Nice looking soma and thanks for all the info! Looks like your front fender strut clears just under the brake caliper too. I think I'll be using Horizons with my 650b wheels so I'd need some pretty wide 700c fenders.

Twowheeler

by Twowheeler

I wonder if the 700 x 50 mm fenders would work for those WTB horizons or slightly fatter tires on the 650b wheels. I'm running 650 x 2.0 tires (G-Ones) and would like the option of fenders. The fenders have a listed tire size of up to 700 x 45 mm, but considering the smaller diameter of the wheel it might fit?

http://www.jensonusa.com/SKS-P50-Chromo ... rd-Fenders

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Metaluna

by Metaluna

fasdflkjweorinjs wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:32 pm

Nice looking soma and thanks for all the info! Looks like your front fender strut clears just under the brake caliper too. I think I'll be using Horizons with my 650b wheels so I'd need some pretty wide 700c fenders.
I'll have to look again, but I'm pretty sure if you look at it from the left side there's even more clearance than what you see from this angle. That's one thing I like about this style of fender -- it only has a single strut. I think the VO Zeppelin is the same way. Some fenders, like the Planet Bike Cascadia and SKS longboard, have a V-style stay with two struts coming up to the fender from the dropout. This gives more support, but the upper strut runs right over the brake caliper and usually has to be bent or otherwise moved out of the way, which is tricky to do cleanly without warping the fender. Planet Bike supplies some standoffs, while I think with SKS you're on your own.