Chinese Open Mold Gravel / CX Bikes

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jimin

by Jimin

I have been reading since post nr 1 and enjoyed every post of it. I have narrrowed it down to a GR039 and I would also want a color. However, how and where did you look for the color nr? Did they provide a list of color? :)

Jimin

by Jimin

double post

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

inasia69

by inasia69

Hello to all,

I have followed this thread and want to thank you all for the feedback provided and have helped me decide on my purchase.

Today I purchased the GR 042 from Tan Tan cycling, I liked the geometry and short seatstays that should make it a lively ride. Geometry seems to be similiar to a Kanzo Fast with short stack and reach (size 48cm, only size offered now).

I didn't request paint and have been advised it should be 25 days before delivery, I will report back my build and riding experience in due time.

Cheers!

Jimin

by Jimin

Velojonathan wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:13 pm
eucalyptus wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 2:44 pm
Okay, now I have ordered the GR039 with BSA from Honsen instead.
http://www.honsenbikes.com/a/chanpinzho ... 05/42.html

I emailed them and a person called Leo seems to run the place. His English is 100x better than any of the other stores like Tantan or Miracle. So communication is good.

He had a frame in stock which I have now ordered with USPS 25 days shipping to Sweden. He claims I do not need to pay customs with this choice, remains to see.

So now we are back on track again :) Paid $784 for a UD raw carbon, Tantan and Miracle asked $852.

Hey for those who have a GR 039 on order. Did you notice the bb drop of 56mm? That's crazy crazy high. I can't find another road or gravel bike within 10 mm of that and even most dedicated cross bikes don't get anywhere near that.

Can anyone tell me why 56 bb drop on this bike won't feel unstable and very tall at high speed?

The geo of the GR039 is perfect for me in every way but the bb drop so I ended up canceling and am going to order a GR040 instead.
Those who order GR 039, have you felt the effect of the BB drop?

Marin

by Marin

Jimin wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 8:20 am
I have been reading since post nr 1 and enjoyed every post of it. I have narrrowed it down to a GR039 and I would also want a color. However, how and where did you look for the color nr? Did they provide a list of color? :)
I ususally provide a YS code when I get stuff painted in China, however I'd ask the vendor 1st what codes/paints they prefer to use

https://www.y-s-paint.com.tw/index.aspx?lang=US

It's a good idea to google the code, you can sometimes find bikes painted in it.

Jimin

by Jimin

Marin wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 9:28 am
Jimin wrote:
I ususally provide a YS code when I get stuff painted in China, however I'd ask the vendor 1st what codes/paints they prefer to use

It's a good idea to google the code, you can sometimes find bikes painted in it.
Oh I see, thanks! I will ask them :)

Out of curiosity, are there multiple international codes?

Marin

by Marin

Jimin wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 9:41 am
Marin wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 9:28 am
Jimin wrote:

Oh I see, thanks! I will ask them :)

Out of curiosity, are there multiple international codes?
There's RAL and a few other "universal" ones, and I think every car manufacturer has their own paint code system. I had never heard of YS before I got involved with Far East manufacturing.

Jimin

by Jimin

Thanks!
I contacted Winow/Tantan regarding GR039. Minimum that I had to order was 40 pcs haha! Damn.. any recommendation similar to that frame? :)

PaulJ

by PaulJ

Has anyone recently imported a frame from China to UK? I'm trying to work out the duty implications, and struggling to pin down an exact figure. I keep seeing an anti-dumping charge which is 48.5%, and would definitely kill the idea! If anyone could shed some light on the actual potential charges for a frameset, that would be great.

MARC0

by MARC0

PaulJ wrote:Has anyone recently imported a frame from China to UK? I'm trying to work out the duty implications, and struggling to pin down an exact figure. I keep seeing an anti-dumping charge which is 48.5%, and would definitely kill the idea! If anyone could shed some light on the actual potential charges for a frameset, that would be great.
A least to Spain, we can prepaid taxation through XDB or DPD or WXY shipment methods, you can ask for them to the seller.

PaulJ

by PaulJ

MARC0 wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:42 pm
PaulJ wrote:Has anyone recently imported a frame from China to UK? I'm trying to work out the duty implications, and struggling to pin down an exact figure. I keep seeing an anti-dumping charge which is 48.5%, and would definitely kill the idea! If anyone could shed some light on the actual potential charges for a frameset, that would be great.
A least to Spain, we can prepaid taxation through XDB or DPD or WXY shipment methods, you can ask for them to the seller.
That was the plan, but Carbonda say they require a VAT / EORI or IOSS number, none of which I have as I'm not a business. So the only option is DHL shipping, where I pick up the import tax and duty bill.

MARC0

by MARC0

PaulJ wrote:
MARC0 wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:42 pm
That was the plan, but Carbonda say they require a VAT / EORI or IOSS number, none of which I have as I'm not a business. So the only option is DHL shipping, where I pick up the import tax and duty bill.
EORI number and/or IOSS are the new rules for European Union Imports (they start this July 1st), so I guess UK has copy this new way to proceed with a different name or Carbonda doesn't know about Brexit and they still think UK is in the EU.

belopsky

by belopsky

Anyone speak w Carbonda about the CFR696 lately? I notice their alibaba page doesnt have that or the 707, I emailed

What's the biggest tire possible on a TanTan frame? Looking for a 700x50mm possibility myself..

joesch

by joesch

Thinking about ordering a CFR696 to complement my garage with an allroad winter bike (some gravel, lots of road). However, the geometry has left me wondering, whether the CFR696 would fit this purpose as it seems to depart quite far from my normal road riding position (on a Tarmac SL6, size 56).

Compared to my Tarmac, the CFR696 in 56 has 10mm less reach but 25mm more Stack - that's quite a change.
Even compared to a Crux (which would have been my first pick if it would have been priced reasonably), it has 5mm less reach and 10mm more stack.

Any experience in how it rides and whether it is still agile and nimble enough to get in these Winter base miles?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

I used my 696 as winter bike ( for the festive 500 ) it's a great frame.
I guess it depends if you run your sl6 slammed or with a few spacers ? I run the 696 slammed and it's low enough for me and I spend a lot of time in the drops.

It's tough comparing a 696 to an sl6 as they're totally different beasts, ones a race bike and the other a racey gravel bike that can do a bit if everything.
If you want something relatively inexpensive, versatile and winter proof it's a very good frame to start with.
I enjoyed using the bolt on top tube bag with my winter gloves on instead of my back pockets - a small but welcome feature during big winter days out.

You could always throw on a -17 stem 👍🏻