Chinese Open Mold Gravel / CX Bikes

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

motorapido wrote:Drivetrain is FSAcranks Shimano Di2 mechs and shift levers customised to fit SRAM HydroR brakes,
I’m intrigued as to how you’ve managed to get 2 incompatible brake systems to work. Shimano uses mineral oil and Sram uses Dot fluid that are not interchangeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

motorapido

by motorapido

The solution is suprisingly easy, you don't.
I gut the Sram shifters and remove the brake lever,
Then fit a modified Shimano Di2 lever and the electronics pack fits where the sram shift mechansim usd to sit in the lever body,
like this.
Image[/url]IMG_4879 by Paul Townsend, on Flickr

ImageIMG_5366 by Paul Townsend, on Flickr

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Clever. Although I’m surprised anyone would trade Shimano discs for Sram. But, each to their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

motorapido

by motorapido

It was on a budget, the brake levers were second hand 6770 so cable brake and about £60 off ebay as the covers and body were all scuffed up, and i picked the set of new Sram stuff up for £160. So a pretty cheap way of getting Di2 discs and i prefer the thinner body of the Sram levers.

d36

by d36

I've nearly looked at all the frames available so far and these sizes are killing me :P

except for a cfr505 and gr029/ltk028

Anyone know max chainring size with a 1x setup on either of these frames?
I'd like to stay 12x100 as have a couple of wheelsets too so Id need to find a new set of forks

MichaelB

by MichaelB

motorapido wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:17 am
The solution is suprisingly easy, you don't.
I gut the Sram shifters and remove the brake lever,
Then fit a modified Shimano Di2 lever and the electronics pack fits where the sram shift mechansim usd to sit in the lever body,
like this.
Nice McGyvering there !!

fattywilliams

by fattywilliams

Just received my velobuild impress with quality so far this is my first open mould frame

Weights are

Frame:1257g(size large with hangers and bolts)

Fork: 510g (uncut)

Seat post: 207g

So little bit on the porky side but not too fussed about that still a upgrade for me. Do you guys leave the cable guides in or take them out? Image

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

fattywilliams

by fattywilliams

Well there she is folks final weight 8.7kg only took for quick spin will give a better review when got some decent miles in ImageImage

DonutBoy

by DonutBoy

Built up the CX028 (off Ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264217647145?ul_noapp=true) for last CX season. 52cm, the frame was under 1kg. Literally does everything, CX, gravel & road with skinny tubeless. Fits really fat tyres 45cc. Got it specced for ORs to fit all our old wheels :) Currently it's set up for v rough muddy gravel riding/training with a powermeter (at 7.5kg), but can drop alot of weight when set-up for road.

The rear brake alignment for flat mount brakes was a bit tricky (for me) other than that it's been great.

fattywilliams

by fattywilliams

Couple of pictures with the off road 650b setup on this setup is 1.1kg heavier!

Couple of things I will say is the seat clamp design isn't the best basically if you don't have a cutout in the saddle you cannot get to the head of the front bolt so you have to try and tighten it down before you do the back wich is really fiddle and very frustrating but is workable.

The other thing I've found with this off road setup up these are maxxis pace 2.1inch tyres which velobuild state as max clearence the front has room to spare but the rear is tight on the chain stay probably 3mm at the tightest point I'm quite a big rider and I'm worried that any flex and that tyre is going to damage the paint or worse start grinding away at the carbon haven't measured with calipers so could be that they are coming up slighty big but personally I'm going to downsize the back to a 1.95ImageImage

TonyM

by TonyM

Does anyone has experience with the carbin handlebar from Carbonda?
http://www.carbonda.com/accessory/handlebar/104.html
Are they good?

Or is there any other Chinese manufacturer with better quality?

Orbital

by Orbital

TonyM wrote:Does anyone has experience with the carbin handlebar from Carbonda?
http://www.carbonda.com/accessory/handlebar/104.html
Are they good?

Or is there any other Chinese manufacturer with better quality?
I have an Ali bar that’s been great for me. Only complaint is the MCFK is under the clear coat and it’s obviously not an MCFK bar.

ImageImageImage

JCVelo

by JCVelo

So, after hunting around for a new budget commuter/race bike, I've decided to give one of these chinese frames a shot and see how it goes. I've chosen the Carbonda CFR696 frame due to its inclusion of rear rack mounts, which are a necessity for me in my commutes.

I have also decided to go with a completely custom paintjob as well, which can be seen below.

Just waiting for a response from them to finalize the order and get things rolling now, fingers crossed it all goes well!

ooo

by ooo

Max load kg info for rear rack?
'

JCVelo

by JCVelo

ooo wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:54 pm
Max load kg info for rear rack?
They just emailed back, they state a max load of 15kg, which sounds about right for a carbon frame.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com