New Trek Boone

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

sethjs

by sethjs

There's a pic on Instagram of what appears to be an updated Boone. IsoSpeed up front. Thru Axle in the rear. I want! Anyone have a guess of when it'll be available?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BO0P3YwgfEo ... yclocrosss

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jmaccyd

by jmaccyd

I wonder what they have planned for the Crockett. Seems an odd spec this year with thru axles on the front but QR on the back.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Why not use a Lauf Grit fork instead?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

LeePaton

by LeePaton

Because the lauf looks like S**T?

looks pretty good the new Boone bar the seattube angle.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Haha, i think the Grit fork looks awesome.
Have you seen one for real?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

Its a damn race bike, that's another reason why they wouldn't go with something like a Lauf Grit.
Why would anyone want to race with a fork that weighs 400+ grams more.

jmaccyd

by jmaccyd

Lauf fork on a CX race bike? Might make some sort of sense on a 'gravel' bike but really....you'll be suggesting dropper posts next!

hmai18

by hmai18

The Lauf is a 900g fork when most forks on race bikes are ~450g or under. There's also a bunch of additional material where mud can build up and further increase the weight. Just not worth it on a race bike that's going to see 45 minutes to an hour of action.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I've seen photos of the new Boone dating back to December. Trek's not hiding the bike, at all. It looks like a Domane Disc, minus the adjustable rear IsoSpeed. IsoSpeed front and rear, TA, front and rear, and it looks like they adopted the internal chamber for the Di2, so it isn't hanging out there, under the stem. Overall, it looks like a nice upgrade.

I do agree on the Crockett front, however. It's an awesome bike (I ride one, and I don't have any complaints). I would imagine they'll make some minor upgrade, to include the TA in the rear (since it already comes with a front TA), but I don't see much development on that front, unless they come out with the SS version, like they did for Sven at SSCXWC.

stoney

by stoney

Katie Compton piloted the new Trek Boone to her 13th USA National Cyclocross Championship last weekend. She looked super smooth on the icy course.

jmaccyd

by jmaccyd

stoney wrote:Katie Compton piloted the new Trek Boone to her 13th USA National Cyclocross Championship last weekend. She looked super smooth on the icy course.

Yes I saw some articles on her bike. Interesting range of kit on her bike, double chainrings when most are on single and mechanical discs. Just goes to show (as if we all don't know this) that it is the legs that wins the race!

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Shimano 1x isn't officially supported. I know the Telnet team runs it, but given that the DA9000 RD doesn't have a clutch, I think running 2x is safer (she'd have to run an XT or XTR RD to get a clutch). Plus, she said in one of her interviews that she uses all of her gears (she runs 44/34, rather than the standard 46/36 - this would likely be hard with an XT or XTR FD). You are right, it's the legs that win the race.

rasmussloth

by rasmussloth

Not many European pros on singlering BTW.

jmaccyd

by jmaccyd

FIJIGabe wrote:Shimano 1x isn't officially supported. I know the Telnet team runs it, but given that the DA9000 RD doesn't have a clutch, I think running 2x is safer (she'd have to run an XT or XTR RD to get a clutch). Plus, she said in one of her interviews that she uses all of her gears (she runs 44/34, rather than the standard 46/36 - this would likely be hard with an XT or XTR FD). You are right, it's the legs that win the race.

Indeed, I was not so surprised at using the double but mechanical discs stood out a bit. Mind you I'm still on cantis!

jmaccyd

by jmaccyd

rasmussloth wrote:Not many European pros on singlering BTW.

True, but they argue they need the bigger size outer chainring for the starting sprint.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com