Focus Mares CX + Tacx Neo?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I have ordered a Tacx Neo. Afterwards I came to think that maybe the Focus RAT axle might be an issue. I guess I was tight - at least Tacx doesn't sell an axle which can be used with it.

However, Meredith Miller suggested using the Kinetic Traxle with a "regular Maxle nut", with a Wahoo Kickr: https://twitter.com/rainingktula/status ... 9485930496

Do you guys think this would also work with a Tacx Neo?

Suggestions are very welcome.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

I am thinking that might not work as that solution is for the Wahoo Kicker which uses a similar mounting as the Bushido/Genius/Vortex.
Last edited by ms6073 on Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I would really appreciate it if you could elaborate a bit more. Is the mounting mechanism on the Neo much different from the trainers you mentioned?

Otherwise I might have to return the Neo and get a Kickr...

BngbngluckyLuke

by BngbngluckyLuke

Did you ever get your Focus Mares CX mounted on the Neo??? I am looking athe same thing before I order. I see you can take the RAT aapter out of the frame on the drive side but unsure if the adapters / spacers will fit back in.

ms6073

by ms6073

This is not a direct answer, but take a look at the Tacx T2835 Thru-Axle adapter kit and the video below. While the Tacx kit provides several adapters, all are intended for a standard thru axle that has a threaded 12 mm insert on the drive-side dropout. So the issue that you will need to remove the RAT attachment from the frame an source a suitable thru-axle and the only option I can think is from the Robert Axle Project but all you would need is the insert, as the axle and the rest of that kit would not work with the Neo.

- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

So far I am just using the Tacx thru-axle directly with my bike. I simply put the nut on the outside of the rat assembly. Works great, I’ve used it for many hours.

ms6073

by ms6073

Well that is good news for Focus owners. As there are few images of the rear dropout with the RAT, I was never sure how that would work but from the image below, seems like there would be a bit of slop in the interface where the shaft of the Tacx quick release passes through the RAT nut.

- Michael

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I just took some photos. Sorry about the poor quality. They are here: https://imgur.com/a/WUJaoOG

BngbngluckyLuke

by BngbngluckyLuke

Thanks the_marsbar & ms6073 for the replies. Can I ask a stuid question??? what size of the Tacx thru-axle are you using? see there is 2 sizes and when I pulled the focus RAT Axle it didnt seem obvious which measurement to make.

ms6073

by ms6073

the_marsbar wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:21 pm
I just took some photos. Sorry about the poor quality. They are here: https://imgur.com/a/WUJaoOG
Ah, now that makes more sense. You are using the skewer, Neo end cap, and brake-side thru-axle adapter from the Tacx 2835 Direct drive quick release with adapter set for 142x12mm, but looks like the bolt from the standard Tacx Neo quick release skewer on the drive side.
- Michael

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Yes, it's the T2835 I'm using, and ms6073 is correct; I use the skewer, end cap and thru axle adapter from the T2835 kit, and then I use the bolt from the QR that came with the Neo. Sorry about the confusion.

It works great :) But of course you should be careful not to overtighten (just as with regular QRs).

I hope you find it useful. I spent quite some time figuring out how to solve the problem..

BngbngluckyLuke

by BngbngluckyLuke

Thanks for the fast rely, and the info share Very much appreciated.

I had only found one other post on a sweedish site where they had machined the adapter down to make it fit (after remove the RAT locking hub from the frame). This seems like a much better solution, and I can still have my neo dream....

Thanks again i'll post my pics once I've done it.

tomee

by tomee

So the new RAT ends aren't flat Ike the photos the_marsbar posted.
Will take a photo of my izalco max ones but saw you can buy these for those with RAT and trainer
https://images.app.goo.gl/kHwW5w2gRXuqmv1x8

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Can't say for sure, but I think it doesn't matter if the ends are flat to be honest...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

The axle in the linked image is for Tacx's wheel-on trainers, not a direct drive Neo. While the Neo 2T is now 100% thru-axle compatible (incvluding RAT), those with the orginal Neo and Neo 2 will need the Tacx 12x142 thru axle adapter kit and Robert Axles rear 12mm Rear Lightning Bolt-On Axle: For Cervelo R.A.T. With Derailleur Hanger.

- Michael