Downgrading to mechanical discs, what should I go with?

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Catagory6

by Catagory6

ChiZ01 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:14 pm
got juin tech F1 paired with sram red 2013 with jagwire road pro housing, the level feel is superb, much better than the trp spyre slc it replaced. The feel is more noticeable in the rear with 1.5m of housing. I also prefer the cable clamp of the F1, trp would flatten and break all new cables at the clamp area. Sitting up the trp wins since you can independently adjust each piston
the spyres are HORRID with breaking cable wire.
a seriously flawed design
i contacted TRP about this, and heard nothing back

joejack951

by joejack951

Catagory6 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:10 pm
ChiZ01 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:14 pm
got juin tech F1 paired with sram red 2013 with jagwire road pro housing, the level feel is superb, much better than the trp spyre slc it replaced. The feel is more noticeable in the rear with 1.5m of housing. I also prefer the cable clamp of the F1, trp would flatten and break all new cables at the clamp area. Sitting up the trp wins since you can independently adjust each piston
the spyres are HORRID with breaking cable wire.
a seriously flawed design
i contacted TRP about this, and heard nothing back
The SLC version or standard? SLC appears to use a questionable cable clamp arrangement, but I see nothing wrong with the standard Spyre design, and also use it on my short pull conversion arms for the HY/RD.

by Weenie

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

both, all they needed to do is to machine a 1.5mm grove in the clamp area, just do a google image search, cables are flattened and cannot be reused

joejack951

by joejack951

ChiZ01 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:02 am
both, all they needed to do is to machine a 1.5mm grove in the clamp area, just do a google image search, cables are flattened and cannot be reused
I searched and only found one person with that specific issue. And judging by the pics they posted of their clamp plates it seems like there may be something else going on as well. The cable clamp area was significantly altered/chewed up. Hard to trust any results from that one instance.

I did find this site: https://accidentalrandonneur.wordpress.com/tag/spyre/

...where if you scroll down near the bottom you'll see several images of an improperly clamped brake cable in a Spyre caliper (cable should go beneath the bolt, not above). Is it possible your issue and that of others stems from this oversight? I found another mention of someone doing this exact same thing on a bike build but they at least acknowledged it.

I've looked pretty closely at the TRP clamp plate design and it differs only very slightly from that of Shimano's standard road brakes, a design that has been around forever and also lacks a groove where the cable is clamped. But just like with TRP's design, the clamp plate itself has a relief for the cable.

mattr

by mattr

FWIW there was a guy on one of the other forums who found an entire batch from one manufacturer in the shop he works in that were all routed incorrectly, a dozen or more bikes.

nickf

by nickf

I got in some longer road descents with my checkpoint this week up in the Carolinas. I was impressed with the TRP Spyre brakes. I had more than enough power even with 140mm ashima rotors and stock pads. Solid lever feel and was braking while up on the hoods. I'm also using the jagwire pro compressionless housing.

osw000

by osw000

I'm planning a build with classic Etap and disc brakes. Frame comes with Flat mount and my wheels already have 140mm rotors. Reading the previous posts seems that Juin Tech F1 is a solid choice. But they recommend 160mm rotors stating that would void guarantee if using 140mm. Is really that critical?

Enviado desde mi SM-J530F mediante Tapatalk

Pinarello GAN 2016 - SRAM eTap - Alu wheels. 7,2kgs.

fattywilliams

by fattywilliams

ChiZ01 wrote:both, all they needed to do is to machine a 1.5mm grove in the clamp area, just do a google image search, cables are flattened and cannot be reused
It's not both I had the standard and cables where fine I now have the carbon and it does flatten them a bit but I donsnt make huge problem unless your reclamping the cable further down or up shall I say then we're you have clamped before personally if I had choice would go back to the standard caliper as weight saving is minimum 8g per caliper if I remember correctly

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

osw000 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:44 am
I'm planning a build with classic Etap and disc brakes. Frame comes with Flat mount and my wheels already have 140mm rotors. Reading the previous posts seems that Juin Tech F1 is a solid choice. But they recommend 160mm rotors stating that would void guarantee if using 140mm. Is really that critical?

Just saw this so a quick reply without double checking my facts, BUT IIRC Juin Tech FI are built for 160mm rotors only. That means a 140 won't reach the pads properly. A lot worse could happen than not have a warranty.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

TRP Spyre (with Swisstop pads), Sram shifter, compression less housing (Jagwire Link): not enought power to lift the rear wheel. Tried hard to like this setup but have all the weight of disc brake without the advantage, it's a nonsense. Too many people waste their money with this kind of topic where people say mechanical disc is good. It's not and you will go for hydro after with loosing time and money.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I agree with jean.. all my disc bikes but 1 are hydro. Only my Tri bike is not and only because I dont use the brakes much at all on a tri-bike and hydro (electronic) aero levers are ugly and expensive. If I can get some on the cheap I'd switch right away.

using TRP Sprye currently on the tri-bike

fattywilliams

by fattywilliams

jeanjacques wrote:TRP Spyre (with Swisstop pads), Sram shifter, compression less housing (Jagwire Link): not enought power to lift the rear wheel. Tried hard to like this setup but have all the weight of disc brake without the advantage, it's a nonsense. Too many people waste their money with this kind of topic where people say mechanical disc is good. It's not and you will go for hydro after with loosing time and money.
Disagreee in some respects I get what your saying cable are not nowhere near as good as hydro and if your after out and out performance then yes then cable are a bit shit.

But if you simply want a a solution for wet weather commuter type bike then yes they may now offer any better performance than rim brakes in the dry but they do in the wet and they also stop that wear on your rims so in my opinion if your on a budget there are pros even on a dry weather bike if your a bigger chap like my self and you have nice carbon rims surely on par performance with no rim wear is worth it?

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

joejack951

by joejack951

jeanjacques wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:46 pm
TRP Spyre (with Swisstop pads), Sram shifter, compression less housing (Jagwire Link): not enought power to lift the rear wheel. Tried hard to like this setup but have all the weight of disc brake without the advantage, it's a nonsense. Too many people waste their money with this kind of topic where people say mechanical disc is good. It's not and you will go for hydro after with loosing time and money.
Spyre's and SRAM shifters are not a good combo. SRAM are short pull and Spyres are designed for Shimano SLR-EV levers (long pull). More than likely you are running out of lever travel and that is the cause of your limited brake power. I have lots of miles using disc brakes on a road (well, cross) bike going back more than a decade ago. Even then, I could lift the rear of my bike with a 160mm front rotor (Shimano Ultegra 6500 lever and Avid BB7 caliper). Regardless of how good hydraulic discs are, mechanical still has a place for those who prefer the ergonomics of a fully mechanical lever and/or enjoy the simplicity of working on cable-operated brakes. And hydro or not, disc brakes are leaps and bounds ahead of rim brakes in the rain.

osw000

by osw000

Will the Juin Tech work well with Sram short pull? Seems my only option to recycle Etap for a cross/gravel build.
For the use intended -dirt road-off road all weather routes and cross training, but not racing- I'm in the middle of top performance and a commuter bike, but definitely I want the brakes to bite whenever I need it.
Otherwise I should better plan to trade my current etap levers (difficult to sell all alone) and search for a pair of HRD's.

Pinarello GAN 2016 - SRAM eTap - Alu wheels. 7,2kgs.

joejack951

by joejack951

osw000 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:47 pm
Will the Juin Tech work well with Sram short pull? Seems my only option to recycle Etap for a cross/gravel build.
For the use intended -dirt road-off road all weather routes and cross training, but not racing- I'm in the middle of top performance and a commuter bike, but definitely I want the brakes to bite whenever I need it.
Otherwise I should better plan to trade my current etap levers (difficult to sell all alone) and search for a pair of HRD's.

Juin Tech, Avid BB7, and TRP HY/RD (with short pull conversion arms) are all good options for SRAM, Campagnolo, or older Shimano levers with the 'short' cable pull. Each brakes had advantages and disadvantages. I've used the latter two with good and great results, respectively.

by Weenie