Downgrading to mechanical discs, what should I go with?

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

nickf

by nickf

I'm around 79kg. Running sram red 10 speed mechanical, jagwire compressionless, spye c calipers, stock trp pads, ashima 140mm rotors front/rear. PLENTY of power with normal lever pull. I'm not sure what all the complaints are about. I personally didn't want hydraulic. Don't like the shape of the hoods, plus I wanted a system that's easy to service no matter where I'm riding. I have the pads set pretty close to the rotors to minimize the lever pull, no rubbing even when out of the saddle. With hydraulic you are kinda stuck with the lever pull. For me the hydraulic pull feels way to long.

by Weenie

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

osw000 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:47 pm
Will the Juin Tech work well with Sram short pull? Seems my only option to recycle Etap for a cross/gravel build.
For the use intended -dirt road-off road all weather routes and cross training, but not racing- I'm in the middle of top performance and a commuter bike, but definitely I want the brakes to bite whenever I need it.
Otherwise I should better plan to trade my current etap levers (difficult to sell all alone) and search for a pair of HRD's.

Enviado desde mi SM-J530F mediante Tapatalk
I use Sram levers with Juin Tech. Works great. Plenty of stoppin power.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.