Down to CX shoes: The best choices are ....?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

LouisN

by LouisN

HI all,

I'm now down to choose some better CX shoes.
To begin I had some cheap MTB shoes, but I'd like to upgrade.

Wich shoes are the best for specific CX conditions ?
Light, stiff, excellent grip for running in sand, mud, wet wooden stairs, easy for pedal mount/dismount (cleat interface) , etc...
Didi I forget something ?

Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

romalor

by romalor

empire vr90 are a must
you can find them for 190 euros only , if you use google ;)

they are light , grippy with excellent vibram sole , three size of arch for innersoles ,
they are laces witch I am ok with
they tend to run narrow but not as much as sidi

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Also have Giro VR-90.

If you are not upset about the laces (not really a good idea when you talk of mud etc etc).
First shoes i have with laces and personally, i am not a fan!

I tried a few shoes (road) but i use Giro mainly as they fit me best of the ones i have actually tried.
If you have any favorite (fit) shoe, maybe you should keep to those?

I noted Northwave actually have a specfic CX shoe

http://www.northwave.com/it/product/_cx_tech

http://www.northwave.com/it/product/_hammer_cx
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by 11.4

Sounds like you want them for serious cyclocross conditions. If you were using them for gravel or MTB or whatever, you may want different characteristics, but for full-on cross, you need to be able to run in them and you need light weight. That means a slightly flexible shoe with a sole shape that allows you to run in them. It means that while you need traction surfaces on the underside, you don't need the huge blocks that some shoes have and that cost you weight. Shallow traction surfaces under the arch are all you need, and shallower heel blocks. Get a good set of replaceable spikes because they will give you more control when running than anything else. They can transform any shoe and can let you race in a much lighter shoe.

LouisN

by LouisN

OK. Check :thumbup: .
Looking at 2nd or 3rd model in the brands's lineup now as their often not that heavier ( 1st models are Pricey (especially Sidis, S-Works, Shimano XC90 :o !!) .

More like basic cyclocross racing than "extreme conditions".

Last fall was exceptionnaly warm and dry so I can't really speak for "extreme weather".
I'd say generally, our temperatures range from 2-3°C to 20-25°C. 70% dry conditions.
CX races around here aren't exceptionnaly muddy or wet. 50% Grass (that's the part that can get muddy when very wet), 30% paths, gravel and dirt trails, the rest would be "everything else" (sand banks (beach volleyball courts), tarmac, stairs, wood chips trails, etc...

by 11.4

That's a good amount of running. And it's not that technical beyond the sand. So I'd focus more on thinner, lighter, rubber blocks on slightly flexible soles or at least ones that are shaped to accommodate running (ones shaped like track and field spikes rather than long distance flats). You have an opportunity to go light, so do it. It'll be the best benefit for the buck when you buy new shoes.

mattr

by mattr

I just use decent MTB shoes.
Using Sidi Spiders and/or Drakos at the moment. Not actually used the Drakos for CX yet as they are still fairly new, and i've not ridden cross for a couple of years.

thprice

by thprice

If you like laces: Specialized Recon Mixed Terrain but the soles are stiff hence good for pedal power but not great for running.

AugustBystrup

by AugustBystrup

Currently using the Empire VR90. The newer Code (VR70) also offer the same soles as the Empire VR90. Albeit not as stiff. I rode the Gauge (old version of the VR70) an entire season with excellent traction through the different conditions. I bet there's nothing wrong with the Code.

BSUdude

by BSUdude

I've had Codes (VR70s) for about 1.5 years now...my complaint is that if you get in a crash or awkward position, it is very easy to release the ratchet on the main strap on accident if the lever gets hit. It can be disastrous in a race (ask me how I know). I had Mavics previously and they prevented this by having a slightly more complex but more secure ratchet release mechanism. I had the Mavics for 2.5 seasons and it never happened to me in them. I am thinking about upgrading to the VR90s this season since the laces would make this problem a non-issue and my feet like the shape of Giro shoes more than Mavics.

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

I have some Lake MX237s, but if I were using them only for 'cross the MX331 CROSS look excellent

http://lakecycling.com/products/mx-331- ... 9305846533
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

jmaccyd

by jmaccyd

I have the Northwave CX specific shoes. Bit clunky in weight terms but they have a neoprene inner so keep your feet dry on wet and muddy days and make do without many ventilation slits. Also in an easy clean black so a quick jet wash and dry out and they are ready to go. Non carbon sole so decent enough to run in. I like 'em, seen a few fancy MTB style shoes fail as someone has had to run a fair way to get to the pits. Lake do a CX specific shoe as well.

simoncx

by simoncx

Giro empires or shimano xc90's, both are stiff and light but are still good for running. I bought lake 237's last year and while there a good mtb shoe they suck for cross, it was like trying to run in carbon road shoes.

sefton

by sefton

Bontranger xxx

the grip tread is very open which means they shed the mud and therefore always have grip when running.

stiff, comfy and look the nuts

if they are good enough for sven!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

From some posts I read seems like there is some serious running involved in your events.

Out here, and from what I experienced, and saw, my estimations are less than 5% of the racing time out "of the saddle"...

When I was writing about the "running" part, I was more thinking of spikes pattern and efficiency when running in grass, sand, mud, stairs, ( not slippery ) etc...
I guess a light stiff sole is still a quality in CX shoes, right :) ?

OK, so my list now is narrowed to the following:

Giro VR90 : NIce !
Shimano XC90 or even XC70 : XC90 expensive, maybe I'd go for the XC70
Sidi : Always a favourite but pricceeyyy !!
Northwave: Extreme XC or Blaze, maybe Hammer (we'lll see if we can gat some deals...)
Specialized: S-Works ($$$) or older high end model, Cascade for the girls