Help setting up Pinarello FCX Hydro with Campagnolo EPS v2

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

GlennW

by GlennW

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this has been posted/answered somewhere else.

I have a 2016 FCX frameset that I am building up with Campagnolo EPS and mechanical disk brakes.

The issue I am having is where to mount the charging port for the EPS Battery? I contacted Pinarello and they emailed to say that it should be mounted on the right chainstay cable exit point. The issue is that the only grommets supplied with the frameset that fit that spot have either a slot for a mechanical cable, or a hole for an EPS wire, both to set up the rear derailleur only. So those are not an option.

The other frame exit points available are:
- Left Chainstay - only has a slot for the disk brake cable, no alternate grommets supplied.
- Hole on top of Bottom Bracket Shell - used for the Front Derailleur EPS wire
- Right Side of head tube - only one grommet supplied and that has a single slot for rear brake cable only.
- Left side of head tube - 3 grommets supplied
- a Blank with no holes
- 2 holes - one for EPS wire to the DTI unit, one for rear brake cable
- 2 holes - one for mechanical shift cable, one for rear brake cable.

So it seems, I can set the bike up with a mechanical group ok, or with EPS, but not have a charging port.

My thoughts are - either the frameset was supplied with a missing grommet - though they were all sealed in a bag with the headset bearings etc. so this seems unlikely, or I'm missing something pretty basic with the setup.

Before I go hacking at the grommets with a drill, Dremmel etc., be interested if anyone has some across a similar issue with a Pinarello frame (Dogma, FCX etc), and how they solved it.

The other option I was thinking of was leaving the charging port inside the frame taped to one of the EPS cables and then removing the grommet and pulling out the cable when needing to recharge. Less than ideal...

Any advice gratefully accepted.
Glenn

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

Hi there
The norm on 2014-2015 frames is that the blanking plate that sits at the end of the RH chainstay and carries the RD wire to the outside world also has a drilling in it for the charging point. In this case, you'll need an extension to the PU charger cable, by the way.

It's possible that Pina have anticipated the launch of 2016 Record / Super Record EPS with the charger port built into the Interface unit, though - and so have not built in the facility to put in an external charge port.

I don't know if the drilling in the frame & the blanking plate on the 2016 frames that are fitted at the rear right hand chainstay are long enough to accept a second drilling for the charger plug (7 mm dia) - if they are, you can possibly simply reproduce what is done on earlier model Pinas - I'd check that you can get the charger plug and the RD cable down to the end of the chainstay together 1st though - it's possible there isn't room - best to find out before you take a drill to the blanking plate.

If not, you may be faced with the options of

Waiting for v3's public launch (Mid January, possibly a little before, TBA)
    Drilling the frame to allow the charger cable out under the BB shell (widely done but probably doesn't do much for your frame / fork warranty - definitely check with Pina first)
    Running the charger cable backwards up the seat tube (assuming you are going for a seat-tube fitting option) and securing the charger port in a foam rubber block in the base of the seat pin.

The last option here means whipping your set pin out to charge the PU but in practical terms most people only need to do that once a month or so (1000 - 1200 km-ish) and in an ideal world it's a good idea to move a seatpin with about that degree of frequency anyway, regardless of frame and seatpin material. Apart from anything, through the winter, draining the frame isn't a bad plan and taking the setpost out and inverting the bike isn't a bad way to do it ...

HTH
Graeme
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GlennW

by GlennW

Hi Graeme,

Thank you for you considered reply.

The charging port and cable will fit down the chain-stay and out of the hole ok, and I have purchased a cable extension to enable fitting to any of the ports. (I have the battery mounted in the seat tube.)

I'd rather not drill into my frame anywhere, and as I have already purchased my Chorus EPS group, prefer not to shell out more $'s for the V3 bits when they come out too!

So I think I'll write back to Pinarello and see if they can supply a suitable alternate grommet for the RHS chain-stay or RHS Head Tube (seems no reason why I couldn't run the charging port to the RHS of the head tube, as nothing will be fitted there for this build.)

Otherwise the seatpost option might be the way to go.

thanks again
Glenn

GlennW

by GlennW

Legend!!!

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Let us know how that build rides!

How tall are you and what size do you run?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

GlennW

by GlennW

I finished the build on the weekend and very pleased with the results. The new chorus cranks are a real work of art.

Although I haven't built up the wheels I want yet, I put a set off my cannondale caadx on so I could ride it. The Shimano cassette from the caadx works fine with the campagnolo group btw.

Initial impressions- it is so smooth, really lovely ride. It's hard to describe but it's not harsh like the aluminium caadx. The shifting is awesome and handling sweet.

The frame is 55 top tube and I'm 178 cm tall.

The rest of the build:
3t ergonova ltd bars
3t arx team stem
Cinelli cork tape
Campagnolo chorus eps
Spd dura-ace pedals
SLR saddle
Trp hy-rd brakes

The wheels I plan to build:
Hope pro2 evo hubs
Dt swiss rx331 rims
Sapim cx-ray spokes

Should be a great bike when finished

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mortona2k

by mortona2k

GlennW wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:14 pm
The other frame exit points available are:
- Right Side of head tube - only one grommet supplied and that has a single slot for rear brake cable only.
- Left side of head tube - 3 grommets supplied
- a Blank with no holes
- 2 holes - one for EPS wire to the DTI unit, one for rear brake cable
- 2 holes - one for mechanical shift cable, one for rear brake cable.
Hello, I have a 2016 FCX frame and looking to set it up with a mechanical groupset and disc brakes. I have a left port with one hole w/ housing stop, and another with 2 holes, EPS wire and rear brake cable.

Do you still have that 2 hole for mechanical shift and rear brake cable?