Cannondale Slate - anybody else excited?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Look similar to the WTB Resolutes that I’m about to try

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Just finished updating the Slate - changed front rings to 36/46, added the Stans Valor Pro wheelset fitted with 10-42 XG-1199 cassette and WTB Resolute tyres.

1st shakedown ride went well, with the lower gearing bettrer for the steep technical climbs. Very happy. Dropped 650g overall too.

Before :

After :

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

msv

by msv

Nice upgrades. Your saddle seems to be significantly tilted nose-down, you don't slide forward with that setup?

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Prob a bit of optics, but find for seated climbing, it helps me.
If I have the saddle flatter, I find myself sliding backwards !

Meh, works for me :-)

msv

by msv

MichaelB wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 6:17 am
Meh, works for me :-)
:thumbup:

calleking

by calleking

Nice bike MichaelB!

I'm still sporting 52/36 with 11-28 on my Slate. Not optimal but I sort of force my way up shorter climbs. I should really look into ordering a 50/34T combo, RX derailleur and 11-34 cassette. I have the stock wheels but with Panaracer Gravelking slicks set up tubeless with Orange Seal. I set them up tubeless couple of weeks ago and couldn't believe how much smoother everything felt.

Not sure what to upgrade. Wheels seem like a good idea as the stock ones are not that wide and very heavy. Those Zipp 303 650b would look fit perfectly on the Slate :D. As far as tyres goes the Gravelkings are great but the WTB Horizons or G-Ones seem like a better pick for my riding (tarmac, gravel roads, easy trails. I don't think the SAVE seatpost wouldn't do much since bike is already so comfy. I tend to pick the Slate for longer rides over my S-Works SL6. The Slate is so much more comfy and I can always hit some gravel roads or trails if I feel like it to mix things up. Beast of a bike! Makes me smile every time I use :-)

2022 Wilier Filante SLR Dura-Ace/Ultegra Di2 12sp
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

Retired:
2018 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Sagan Superstar DA 9150
2016 Aeroad CF SLX UDi2
2016 CAAD12 - SRAM Red 22 - Hyper 50mm

msv

by msv

Nice ride! Wow, that is an agressive position, no way my body could handle that! :thumbup:

MichaelB

by MichaelB

calleking wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 7:44 am
Nice bike MichaelB!

Ta. Agree with msv re position. You must be flexible.

My gearing is based around tending towards the steeper single tracks that are common near home. Many extended technical ascents that are 10-15% gradients. Plus I'm old and not a flyweight.

I really love the bike and find that it's great to do some trails as an option to and from work. Makes the office job bearable !!

calleking

by calleking

MichaelB wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 11:52 pm
calleking wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 7:44 am
Nice bike MichaelB!

Ta. Agree with msv re position. You must be flexible.

My gearing is based around tending towards the steeper single tracks that are common near home. Many extended technical ascents that are 10-15% gradients. Plus I'm old and not a flyweight.

I really love the bike and find that it's great to do some trails as an option to and from work. Makes the office job bearable !!
Yes, I'm quite flexible. Have it setup like my racing CX so close to my road bike fit but with 20mm more stack.

My office job consists of figuring out which new farm roads and trails I'm going to ride once I get off work!

:beerchug:
2022 Wilier Filante SLR Dura-Ace/Ultegra Di2 12sp
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

Retired:
2018 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Sagan Superstar DA 9150
2016 Aeroad CF SLX UDi2
2016 CAAD12 - SRAM Red 22 - Hyper 50mm

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Need some help please !

Bought a replacement rear axle for the Slate, and realised after I bought it that I need the conical washer (Washer A) per this link

Can anyone help as tpo where I might get just the conical washer ?

msv

by msv

Unfortunately, I'm no use to you. I haven't seen any X12 axles for "real world" use that have the washer separate, in my experience they are always captive on the axle. For what it's worth, I'm using the Cannondale K83058 rear axle:

https://www.cannondalespares.com/Cannon ... il/3-43247

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Thanks msv, the place I purchased it from has an alternative, so can return/exchange for the DT Swiss RWS version. Ta

TriathleteVEGAN

by TriathleteVEGAN

how did you manage to make it 8.8kg ? show us exactly what other upgrades you made on it except the K3 saddle. Because it is impossible to lower it so much with just the saddle.

TriathleteVEGAN

by TriathleteVEGAN

nunokas wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:17 pm
aongch wrote:Has anybody compared weights on the Apex rigid lefty vs the Oliver? I'm interested to get the rigid for my longer roady rides, if weight is that much of a difference... Thanks!
I think i heard from a seller that it weights almost a kilo.
aongch wrote:
cerro wrote:
aongch wrote:Has anybody compared weights on the Apex rigid lefty vs the Oliver? I'm interested to get the rigid for my longer roady rides, if weight is that much of a difference... Thanks!
Haven't compared weights but how they ride. Tried Slate's with both on different surfaces. Would prefer Oliver all the time. The best thing with Slate and a so stiff alu fork is really stiff, no comfort at all on the Apex bike.
Thanks Jonas, that's a good point. I'm doing a century so comfort will be a big factor, less so the weight difference which should not be that much.
My apex with some upgrades...

you are lieing . it is impossible that you reduced the weight by 1kg only by adding the gelu k3 saddle. The slate apex solo weight is 9.8 kg aprox. Show us complete photograph of the bike on the scales .

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

msv

by msv

I just need to say again how much I love this bike! The Maxxis Ramblers have been working out well for me, currently running 40psi front and 45psi rear (I weigh 180 lbs before gear). As compared to the orignal TRS's I get better traction on the steep pitches, and they give me more confidence on descents. The tread is shallow though, so you still need to be careful of loose conditions in corners as they will still slide out on you.

Going to take the bike to the East coast in July for the Jeremy Powers Fundo adventure ride in MA, so looking forward to that!