Cannondale Slate - anybody else excited?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

msv

by msv

50k first outing after the rebuild. To the top of Black Star canyon in Orange County, CA. Rough conditions due to all the rain we've had here of late. Really wish there was a bit more clearance in that rear triangle!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Looks like a nice ride.

Had to laugh at the last pic - the bike is bigger than the car :-D

Re the wheels - will keep looking, but seems like the alloy rims and careful shopping are the way to go.

msv

by msv

MichaelB wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:51 pm
Had to laugh at the last pic - the bike is bigger than the car :-D
Haha, I go farther on the bike than I generally do with the car too :)
Last edited by msv on Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nuser

by nuser

G'day- thinking abotu getting a Slate. LBS don't carry any so will need to order it online. Question about sizing. I'm 174cm with 77.5cm inseam. Pretty dialed in on a Caad10 in 52cm w/ 11cm stem. For the Slate, however, I seem to fall in between the Small and the Medium. The ETT on the Medium is 10cm longer than the Caad while the Small is 20 cm shorter. If this was a road frame, I'd just get the small and run a long(er) stem. But given this is a gravel/road/cx all rounder I'm not certain that's the way to go. Has anyone had to make a similar decision? What would you recommend?

msv

by msv

For what it's worth, as compared to my road bike, I have my saddle set in the same postion (i.e. height and setback), but I have the reach to the bars nearly 15mm less, while the saddle to bar drop is about the same.

It depends on what type of riding you plan to do, and what you find comfortable while doing so. It is fairly common on a gravel bike to have the bars higher and further back than you would on a pure road bike.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

So, my Slate has got some new boots !!!

Just won an auction for a set of Stan's Valour Pro on fleabay. Good price, so happy there. Will take a few weeks to land on Oz from the US, so standby for pics when they arrive !!

nuser

by nuser

msv wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:36 pm
For what it's worth, as compared to my road bike, I have my saddle set in the same postion (i.e. height and setback), but I have the reach to the bars nearly 15mm less, while the saddle to bar drop is about the same.

It depends on what type of riding you plan to do, and what you find comfortable while doing so. It is fairly common on a gravel bike to have the bars higher and further back than you would on a pure road bike.
Yeap. Gotcha. I was leaning towards 'sizing-up' and now more convinced so...

stockae92

by stockae92

msv wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:58 pm
Looking for more info on the hitch and bike rack :beerchug:

msv

by msv

stockae92 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:20 am
Looking for more info on the hitch and bike rack :beerchug:
Hitch is from Curt, and the bike rack is from 1up. https://www.1up-usa.com/product-category/bike-racks/ Their bike racks are awesome.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

MichaelB wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:26 am
So, my Slate has got some new boots !!!

Just won an auction for a set of Stan's Valour Pro on fleabay. Good price, so happy there. Will take a few weeks to land on Oz from the US, so standby for pics when they arrive !!
25 bloody days !!! So much for GSP and 'priroity delivery' !! :unbelievable:

Anyway, REALLy stoked with the wheels - 544g for the front wheel and 705g for the rear (including tubeless tape and valves).

Have a 10-42 XG-1199 cassette & 46T chainring on the way, so looking fwd to getting them on and see what they are like. I'll probably fit the WTB Resolutes - will be interesting to see what the final width is given the 21.3mm internal width of the rims
:thumbup:

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

46t seems an odd choice of chainring to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MichaelB

by MichaelB

ultimobici wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:19 am
46t seems an odd choice of chainring to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keeping double chainring setup at front with 36/46 combo. Already have the 36t at home.

End up having same topend and extra low gear for the steep climbs in my area

nuser

by nuser

I'm curious how strictly everyone follows the 100hr interval service requirement for the lefty. My first time owning a lefty so I wonder how important this might be for the longitivity and performance of the bike, or is this just another way the bike company is trying to profit.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Haven’t got to that point yet, but will be soon.

I’m mechanically capable enough to do it, but haven’t seen a a good DIY guide yet. Have to ask my LBS what the cost is, but can imagine it’s a bit OTT

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

msv

by msv

Got some new tires on, and finally changed over to tubeless. Got the Maxxis Ramblers in 27.5x1.5 with the EXO 120tpi casing. Really looking forward to trying these out as I have been on the Cannondale/Panaracers from the start. These tires weighed 433g and measure at 41mm wide on my M60's which are 23mm internal. The setup was very easy, and they snapped on and sealed up well. Anyone else try these out?