Cannondale Slate - anybody else excited?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Good luck with the ride.

Time for help request ;-)

About to fit some R7020 levers to replace the munted RS505’s and wondering if the gear cables have full length linets ?
After some guidance before doing the deed in the shed.

Ta

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

calleking

by calleking

Has anyone switched to the SAVE seatpost? Apparently the stock one is disgustingly stiff :) I'm doing more and more gravel events for many reasons and some rear comfort might be worth investing in.
2023 Wilier Rave SLR
2022 Wilier Filante SLR
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

msv

by msv

MichaelB wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:07 pm
Good luck with the ride.

Time for help request ;-)

About to fit some R7020 levers to replace the munted RS505’s and wondering if the gear cables have full length linets ?
After some guidance before doing the deed in the shed.

Ta
Cable housing terminates at the cable stops at frame. Inside the frame, the cable just has a thin plastic sheath over it (like you see on the exposed bit of cable leading to the front derailleur).
Last edited by msv on Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

msv

by msv

calleking wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:52 pm
Has anyone switched to the SAVE seatpost? Apparently the stock one is disgustingly stiff :) I'm doing more and more gravel events for many reasons and some rear comfort might be worth investing in.
I've got the SAVE post on mine (420mm), I think it made a small difference, but I would not say that it is a very dramatic change. I find the rear end is still quite compliant due to the tire volume and the moderate flex built into the frame itself.

Lately watching GCN and GMBN I've seen some seatposts that actually have some real vertical travel built in that seem intriguing.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

msv wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:42 pm
Cable housing terminates at the cable stops at frame. Inside the frame, the cable just has a thin plastic sheath over it (like you see on the exposed bit of cable leading to the front derailleur).
Ta, that's what I thought. :beerchug:

msv

by msv

I suppose most have seen the new Topstone Carbon that was just released? It makes me wonder about the future of the Slate, and if there will be an updated model or if it simply gets discontinued. I'm wondering if there could be a reduced travel version of a Lefty Ocho fitted to the Topstone Carbon frame, resulting in an overall lighter package (than the current Slate), greater rear compliance, and ability to run 650Bx48 or 700Cx42. It seems the headset bearing size is correct to allow this. Just day-dreaming :)

MichaelB

by MichaelB

msv wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:06 pm
I suppose most have seen the new Topstone Carbon that was just released? It makes me wonder about the future of the Slate, and if there will be an updated model or if it simply gets discontinued. ..
Just reading about the new Topstone on Cycling Tips now. Some of tyhe comment and discussion are inmteresting. Bars look like a nightmare !

Sadly, I think this will be the end of the Slate, but it's interesting that they've gone for rear 'suspension' rather than front, which for me is the key for the Slate.

It's a pity there isn't a way to squeeze in larger wheels for the Slate, but it'll have to do.

Can't afford to buy anything else, so will wear this one out :D

msv

by msv

MichaelB wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:56 am
Sadly, I think this will be the end of the Slate, but it's interesting that they've gone for rear 'suspension' rather than front, which for me is the key for the Slate.

It's a pity there isn't a way to squeeze in larger wheels for the Slate, but it'll have to do.

Can't afford to buy anything else, so will wear this one out :D
I think it will be the end too, but like you, I like the front suspension. Thankfully, I am very happy with the current Slate, I just have to make sure not to damage the frame! :beerchug:

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Might have to try the idea of a lefty on the Topstone .... or buy a spare frame

Saw some on eBay a while ago for A$600

MichaelB

by MichaelB

I've tried google, cannondale manuals, various forums, but can't seem to find the required info. I've read that some people have done it, but with no details for those that haven't.

I'm talking about the '100 hour service' for the Lefty Oliver fork.

Sure, yioyu can get the overhaul kit, and probably buy the required tools, but can't find the instructions of HOW to do it.

Has anyone done it ? If you've paid to get it done, how much ? Or have yoiu just ignored it and kept riding and thinking "as long it ain't broke ..." :noidea:

jameseilers

by jameseilers

What settings does everyone ride on with the Oliver fork in terms of rebound?

Also, +1 for the Oliver maintenance manual.

msv

by msv

I haven't found any instructions for the lefty oliver rebuild either. Best I've come up with is the parts diagram in the Tech Book, but that's not quite enough for me to tackle the project on my own.

As for rebound, it's basically going to be proportional to your air pressure, which will of course depend on your riding weight. I'm 180lbs (~82kg) and have been running 170psi. I think I'm going to try upping the pressure a bit though. I have to check my rebound setting, but it's getting close to maxed out if I remember correctly.

Unfortunately, 2 weekends ago I had a crash where I came off the bike. I picked myself and the bike up and thought everything was ok, but at the end of my ride I got off and saw the drive side seatstay was smashed. Looks like it was crushed by my heel. Gutted as I absolutely loved the grey/orange frame. I wasn't able to source a bare frame from Cannondale so I ended up buying a whole 105 bike off eBay. This weekend I stripped it down to the bare frame and rebuilt it with all the components off my bike. I did have to change the headset bearings as the rigid fork used different ones than the Oliver, which was unexpected. Now rocking the matte green color scheme.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

msv wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:03 pm
I haven't found any instructions for the lefty oliver rebuild either. Best I've come up with is the parts diagram in the Tech Book, but that's not quite enough for me to tackle the project on my own.

Unfortunately, 2 weekends ago I had a crash where I came off the bike. I picked myself and the bike up and thought everything was ok, but at the end of my ride I got off and saw the drive side seatstay was smashed. Looks like it was crushed by my heel. Gutted as I absolutely loved the grey/orange frame. I wasn't able to source a bare frame from Cannondale so I ended up buying a whole 105 bike off eBay. This weekend I stripped it down to the bare frame and rebuilt it with all the components off my bike. I did have to change the headset bearings as the rigid fork used different ones than the Oliver, which was unexpected. Now rocking the matte green color scheme.

Cheers & BUGGER !!

Looks like that rear stay was damaged more by a rock ?

Welcome to the Green world !!

Actually, here is a Large Grey frame on fleabay (no association with seller)

msv

by msv

MichaelB wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:34 pm
Looks like that rear stay was damaged more by a rock ?
Nope! Quite sure it was from the back of my heel.
MichaelB wrote:
Welcome to the Green world !!
:beerchug:
MichaelB wrote:
Actually, here is a Large Grey frame on fleabay (no association with seller)
So strange! Says the item is in Colorado, but won't ship to USA? No listing on the USA eBay site. In any case, I think the price is a bit much! Thanks for looking out!

Vik61

by Vik61

msv wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:03 pm
rigid fork
What is the weight of rigid fork?
Canyon Grizl
Trek Supercaliber

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com