Cannondale Slate - anybody else excited?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

asiantrick

by asiantrick

This thing climbs like a beast, but tends to over-steer. I ate it in the corner this weekend, right before this picture was taken :P

Pottsy

by Pottsy

Noice

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

http://eliflap.it/

Transientgolf

by Transientgolf

In case anyone is curious, I weighed a large Slate in the Ultegra build at a local shop. It did have some cheap pedals on it. Total weight was just over 22lbs (including pedals).

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

TerryatSecondPeak

by TerryatSecondPeak

Asiantrick, thanks for the updates! I saw your post on some other blog site (Radavist?) and dig the fact that we share the same feelings for this bike. Sorry to hear you took a digger.. I suppose in retrospect the bike was egging you on to push the limits? I forget what that feels like, lol. I'm hoping this bike will get my ass out there again... Your seatpost looks like the Cannondale Aluminum SAVE seatpost? I'm looking at the bend which reminds me of some of the Thomson setback posts of years past. Marin asked if someone could measure ERD of the rims. Perhaps you might be able to chime in there. I'm curious what the rims are. I thought they might be relabeled Stan's Notubes ZTR Flow EX rims? Do you think you could measure the outside width with calipers? :)

Eliflap-Scalpel, your bike is awesome! Which frame is that?

Cheers,

Terry
....still waiting.

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

it's a SuperX Black Inc. 52cm sized

http://eliflap.it/2015/12/29/slate-to-the-rhythm/

asiantrick

by asiantrick

TerryatSecondPeak wrote:Asiantrick, thanks for the updates! I saw your post on some other blog site (Radavist?) and dig the fact that we share the same feelings for this bike. Sorry to hear you took a digger.. I suppose in retrospect the bike was egging you on to push the limits? I forget what that feels like, lol. I'm hoping this bike will get my ass out there again... Your seatpost looks like the Cannondale Aluminum SAVE seatpost? I'm looking at the bend which reminds me of some of the Thomson setback posts of years past. Marin asked if someone could measure ERD of the rims. Perhaps you might be able to chime in there. I'm curious what the rims are. I thought they might be relabeled Stan's Notubes ZTR Flow EX rims? Do you think you could measure the outside width with calipers? :)

Eliflap-Scalpel, your bike is awesome! Which frame is that?

Cheers,

Terry
....still waiting.

You're correct regarding the Thomson seatpost. I also switched out to a 110mm stem. Bike comes with 100mm. I would advise you upgrade the tires to Surly Knard if you ever want to ride this off road. The stock tires are good on road, but straight junk on the trail, which caused me to ate it in the corner.

My size is Small. I also ride a 50 on the superSix Evo.

In addition, I would advise you to upgrade to a flare handlebar like mine below for more comfort;

BTW, the rims are Cannondale brand not Stans. I spoke with Stans regarding the wheels upgrade, and their rep is telling me they are currently working on a set of wheels that can run at a higher pressure and lighter on the Slate. Stay tune. The stock wheels are ugly but will do for now. Hope that helps.

Jimmy

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

i bought the Knarl and the G One ( a pair for both )

today my 1st flat with inner tube at rear , on the tarmac not on dirt ... going tubeless next week (hope to have time)

Ordinaybikes
Shop Owner

by Ordinaybikes

Asiantrick, what brand of bars are those?

asiantrick

by asiantrick

Ordinaybikes wrote:Asiantrick, what brand of bars are those?

Salsa Cowbell MD 2 Handlebar 42cm, 31.8mm - (The one i purchased, 12 degree flare)
http://www.jensonusa.com/Salsa-Cowbell- ... 42cm-318mm

or you can go with Salsa Cowchipper Drop Bar, much more flare - but I think it's over-killed
http://www.jensonusa.com/Salsa-Cowchipp ... r?cs=Black

Beside the tires, this is probably the best upgrade on this bike. I also switched out 11-28 to 11-32 cassette to be more comfortable on off road climbing.

TerryatSecondPeak

by TerryatSecondPeak

Thanks Jimmy. I actually really like the tires that come with the Slate. When i demoed the bike I was really impressed with them. I'm in Southern CA and majority of the trails I ride for commuting & occasional recreation are very dry and dusty..even in the winter. I imagine they provide for an interesting ride when the going gets wet or slick though. Your Slate is looking awesome, Jimmy. Glad you're enjoying it.

What length crank arms did your small come with? I demoed a Medium and it had 175mm crank arms. I know the Large CX1 I ordered will come with 175mm anodized violet/pink SiSl2 crank arms. I have to run 172.5mm.. So I'll put it out there - anybody who is getting the CX1 model and has 172.5mm crank arms (perhaps the size Small frames?) interested in a trade for 175mm arms? :)

-Terry

asiantrick

by asiantrick

TerryatSecondPeak wrote:Thanks Jimmy. I actually really like the tires that come with the Slate. When i demoed the bike I was really impressed with them. I'm in Southern CA and majority of the trails I ride for commuting & occasional recreation are very dry and dusty..even in the winter. I imagine they provide for an interesting ride when the going gets wet or slick though. Your Slate is looking awesome, Jimmy. Glad you're enjoying it.

What length crank arms did your small come with? I demoed a Medium and it had 175mm crank arms. I know the Large CX1 I ordered will come with 175mm anodized violet/pink SiSl2 crank arms. I have to run 172.5mm.. So I'll put it out there - anybody who is getting the CX1 model and has 172.5mm crank arms (perhaps the size Small frames?) interested in a trade for 175mm arms? :)

-Terry

What part of So-Cal do you ride? I'm in Orange County, and I ride around Newport Coast area.

The stock tires are decent, but it just very prone to flat. I had 2 flats on my ride last week.

TerryatSecondPeak

by TerryatSecondPeak

LOL Jimmy. We're in the same neighborhood buddy.

I live in Quail Hill, Irvine. I work in Costa Mesa by the 405 & 55.. So I commute to work along the freeway. In the summers I cut through Newport Coast on the way home to get some dirt in.

Were you running tubed or tubeless?

-Terry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

asiantrick

by asiantrick

Small World! I ride weekly up and down Santa Ana River, up to Newport Coast and Shady Canyon. That's my hood!

Hit me up once you pick up your SLATE (jimmy.ng.vo@gmail.com). I want to check out the CX model. I'm running tube at the moment. Plus with the rain we just had and all the debris on the road, it's pretty easy to get puncture.

Jimmy