Cannondale Slate - anybody else excited?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

MichaelB

by MichaelB

msv wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:03 pm
I haven't found any instructions for the lefty oliver rebuild either. Best I've come up with is the parts diagram in the Tech Book, but that's not quite enough for me to tackle the project on my own.

Still searching for ther elusive Lefty Oliver 100hr service instructions.

Best I've managed to find so far is this for the Lefty 2.0. Need to sit down with the various exploded parts views and see what is what with a cuppa or two (maybe during one of the more boring Vuelta stages coming up).

Looks like it only requires one special tool - the KH198 Slider Tool (apparently, the KH123 is also compatible) as long as you have a 36mm socket (which I think I do (or you can buy the KH127 which is a pretty green colour).

I actually don't know yet what the local cost is to get it done, but it looks like A$300-ish :shock:

EDIT : Ooh, Ooh Just dug a bit more in the Vimeo link (and found all of these - there is 5 pages -Cannondale Tech Clinics ) and then the HOLY GRAIL

2016/17 Left Oliver 100hr service (or annual)

Going through thge video, the KH200 Slider tool (vs KH198 for the Lefty 2.0) is required. Need std 36 & 24mm sockets as well. Need a KH240 to undo the cyclinder, but can also clamp carefully in a vice (there are 3 bike size specific air cyclinders ?? - need to read and understand more), a HDTL187 to clamp the shaft ...

So, needs a few speccy tools, but seems eminently doable :mrgreen:

:beerchug: :thumbup:

MichaelB

by MichaelB

So a bit of googling showed that few places have the KH200 tool, and of the places that have it, it will set me back A$200 for the 3 tools and Service kit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

msv

by msv

Thanks for finding and posting this! :thumbup:

I haven't had a chance to go through it yet, but am looking forward to.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

msv wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:21 pm
Thanks for finding and posting this! :thumbup:

I haven't had a chance to go through it yet, but am looking forward to.
Looks reasonably straight fwd, as long as you have the tools. It’s a good video.

jameseilers

by jameseilers

MichaelB, great find!

It looks like the parts used to aid in clamping could be easily made out of wood with hole saw bits. Using wood will be forgiving and should provide plenty of grip.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

jameseilers wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:05 pm
MichaelB, great find!

It looks like the parts used to aid in clamping could be easily made out of wood with hole saw bits. Using wood will be forgiving and should provide plenty of grip.
Yep, you are right, but for the cost, it's not bad, and I have to get the others anyway. And I 'aint good at woodwork !! Even a set 3D printed would cost mopre !

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Interesting article on Cycling Tips to the history and development of the Slate

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/12/cannond ... -its-time/

glepore

by glepore

This story created a discussion on the Paceline forum-a regular there had a custom Firefly built around an oliver, very cool bike.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

ProjectInkfish

by ProjectInkfish

Has anyone gone ahead and done the maitenance on the Oliver fork and, what symptoms have people seen to indicate they need to do a rebuild, aside from just following Cannondale's recommendations? I've had my Slate since 2016 and granted I usually only get to ride about once week or every 2 weeks but I haven't seen any issues in performance.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Have only recently done the oil bath service, yet to do the full 100hr seal replacement, but have the tools and seals.

I think the conventional wisdom is that once you see issues, it's too late, and very expensive.

reippuert

by reippuert

tomatoe wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:51 pm
Mechanical disc brakes can overheat rotors to a bitching shade of rainbow just as easy if not easyer.
Less mass to distribute the heat away. Brake fuild boiling point on bicycle brakes is rarely any sort of issue apart from downhill racing.

I dont agree with better pad and rotor adjustment at all. One in ten mechanical brakes actually push the pad straight or let the pads sit straight.
Facing the mounts wont help. Sticky piston's is a SRAM guide thing or skipped the annual piston lubing.
Roadbike shifter's cable pull ratio never worked well with mechanical disc brakes. Minor wear to cable housing and pads -> no brakes.
mechanical disc calibers does not develop more heat than hydralic - and the risk of a boild resovoir is non existsinat with mechanical disc brakes so youre wrong.
--
mvh. Morten Reippuert Knudsen @Merlin Works CR, Chorus 15, Reynolds 46/66

reippuert

by reippuert

ProjectInkfish wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:28 pm
Has anyone gone ahead and done the maitenance on the Oliver fork and, what symptoms have people seen to indicate they need to do a rebuild, aside from just following Cannondale's recommendations? I've had my Slate since 2016 and granted I usually only get to ride about once week or every 2 weeks but I haven't seen any issues in performance.
= symtoms on a fatty fork or a classic lefty fork.

If there is no porblems, there is no need to service.

Classic roller berring cannondale fork service is not overcomplicated - you may need to reset it once in a while depending on enviromental contaminantion (ingress from rain, snow or really dusty enviroments).
--

calleking

by calleking

I sold my Slate last year. Big mistake! Bike was an absolute blast to ride. So much fun.

Whatever you do - don't sell it... unless you have a size medium in mint condition :wink: :mrgreen:
2023 Wilier Rave SLR
2022 Wilier Filante SLR
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

reippuert

by reippuert

calleking wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:34 pm
I sold my Slate last year. Big mistake! Bike was an absolute blast to ride. So much fun.

Whatever you do - don't sell it... unless you have a size medium in mint condition :wink: :mrgreen:
feel free to by my US made Canondale Falsh with Fatty fork & XTR :-)
--

MichaelB

by MichaelB

calleking wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:34 pm

Bugger, mines a Large and need a buyer !!

Bigger & badder Lefty Monster Cross replacing it though :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com