Cannondale Slate - anybody else excited?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

MichaelB

by MichaelB

OK, late to the party, but after reviewing a cheapie Road/Gravel/CX bike, I'm loving the easier single track stuff and the dirt roads that I can explore near home in Adelaide, Australia.

Beacuse of some of the single track stuff that I like (some bits are smooth hard packed clay, then there is rocky bits embedded, and then also plenty of washed out ruts) that is easy to access as an alternate way to work which also requires some road riding to get there, I've been looking very seriously at the Slate.

I can source an Apex 1 version in my size for A$1,900 (~ US$1,360) and seriously tempted. The little bit of front travel and the 650B tyres will deal really well with some of the single track stuff I dio, but still easily do the gravel rides.

What I am interested in is how the bikes, and in particular the fork is holding up now that it's been out a few years ?

I've also read that the fork needs to be 'serviced' every 12 months ? What do they do ? Could a competent bike mech DIY this at home ?

Thanks in advance :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jameseilers

by jameseilers

Massively delayed response...
Pgmiv wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 10:03 pm
Hi, do you face any gear shifting problem with the m8000 rear derailleur?
No issues at all!
ultimobici wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 7:04 am
jameseilers wrote: -Cannondale OPI stem
-I love this thing, mostly because it looks awesome. Had to do the install myself as shops that are certified to work on Cannondale bikes are not allowed to install it because Cannondale says the Slate is not compatible with the OPI stem. I haven't quite figured out why they have this stance. Many people are riding this combo. One of Cannondale's factory riders actually had one on their Slate at one point and I pointed this out when talking to customer service about compatibility. The picture disappeared from Instagram after that.
One google search and I fount this. Probably explains why it is not possible to have Cannondale dealers fit the stem.
https://www.cannondale.com/en/Europe/OPI%20Recalls.aspx
That is an older version of the of the OPI stem. I think its just an issue that Cannondale didn't do all of the testing on the Slate frame with the OPI stem to bless it off as being ok. I have had zero issues.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

So, I'm now on-board.

Picked up a very lighghtly used (< 500km) Slate 105 in my size for 1/2 retail. Comes already with Schwalbe G-Ones, and have suitable chainrings and a cassette at home to make the gearing more suitable for where I ride (some steepish single track and gravel fire trails).

Can't wait to get it in the shed. :-)

MichaelB

by MichaelB

jameseilers wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:04 am
I've been watching this thread for quite a while and have referenced it a lot. I thought I would share some recent upgrades to my Slate.

-Cannondale OPI stem
-I love this thing, mostly because it looks awesome. Had to do the install myself as shops that are certified to work on Cannondale bikes are not allowed to install it because Cannondale says the Slate is not compatible with the OPI stem. I haven't quite figured out why they have this stance. Many people are riding this combo. One of Cannondale's factory riders actually had one on their Slate at one point and I pointed this out when talking to customer service about compatibility. The picture disappeared from Instagram after that.

Hiya,

I need to change the stem on my 105 Level Slate to a longer one, and have noticed on ebay that there are plenty of POI stems available for a reasonable price.

As I'm new to Cannondale, what do I specifically need ? Some ads show just the stem and others show just the stem and others show the stem + steerer tube part ? e.g. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cannondale-OPI ... 3298531981

Then also found this one here in Aus, 110mm -5 deg for A$89 ?

Thanks in advance

glepore

by glepore

Joining the club. Piermont Bikes on ebay has a couple 2017 leftover small Apex Slates for 1100 shipped. Jumped on that.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Welcome !!

Took mine for a nice commute to work this morning, into the hills by road, then about 10km of gravel and single track !!

Views from Mt Osmond down into Adelaide - Old Bullock Track and Pioneer Womens Trail.

msv

by msv

Over the weekend completed a comprehensive rebuild/upgrade of my Slate. Now running Ultegra Di2, RX rear derailleur, ENVE M60/40 rims, ENVE handlebar, SAVE seatpost, 50/34 chainring, and 11-32 cassette. I designed and had 3D printed some little bits for the Di2 installation, including a battery mount for the seatpost, a bottom bracket cable guide, and downtube plugs/cable guides. Not on yet, but also decided to do a guide for the exposed bit of rear derailleur wire and a Garmin mount. Size large and weighs 9.23kg (20.3lbs) with the pedals and bottle cages.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

msv wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:53 am
Over the weekend completed a comprehensive rebuild/upgrade .....

Nice looking bike. :thumbup:

How much weight did you save with the ENVE rims over the std wheelset ? (Same hubs ?)

Love the BB clamp - any chance of being able to order one ? Don't like how the BB is open.

msv

by msv

MichaelB wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:07 am

Nice looking bike. :thumbup:

How much weight did you save with the ENVE rims over the std wheelset ? (Same hubs ?)

Love the BB clamp - any chance of being able to order one ? Don't like how the BB is open.
Thanks!

The OE Mavic/Cannondale/Formula wheelset weighed 830g front and 1058g rear with the rim strips. These ENVE's were built with a new Cannondale front hub (KH105/28, same as the OE one), DT Swiss 240S centerlock rear, and Sapim CX-Ray spokes. New wheelset weights are 698g front and 798g rear with the rim tape.

I actually have the BB guide and the plugs on Shapeways. I added a couple drain holes to the BB guide as there will inevitably be some moisture in there that will need to get out. If you really wanted a solid one, I can upload that. The BB guide isn't showing yet since I just uploaded it, and Shapeways needs to approve it before anyone other than me can see it. Should be there by tomorrow for sure. Here's a link:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/exigent-engineering

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Thanks msv

MichaelB

by MichaelB

msv wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:21 am
... The BB guide isn't showing yet since I just uploaded it, and Shapeways needs to approve it before anyone other than me can see it. Should be there by tomorrow for sure. Here's a link:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/exigent-engineering
All set to place the order - AUD$28.xx for the part - all good.
Then another $21 for the shipping ... :x .
Hmmmm, will think about it for the moment.

As a separate issue, started the process for getting the Recall replacement wheels as I want to go tubeless, so it will be interesting to see if the wheelsets are still with the Mavic XM419 rims (given that I'm in Aus and it's been a coupole of years).

May even lead me to building my own set, as the 19mm inner is 3mm less than std, and they are also heavy. Looking at some options including Light Bicycle RG722 rims (36 deep x 29 wide & 22.4 internal) and 380g, but exxy at USD$400 landed just for the rims.
Another option is then DT Swiss RR481db (25 deep x 26 wide &22.4 internal) and 455g for Euro55 ea + shipping (seem similar to dimension of curerent rim).

Standby to standby.

msv

by msv

Yeah, don't blame you on the BB guide, that's crazy with shipping charges.

It'll be interesting to see what wheels you get now that Cannondale and Mavic have parted ways and they are using WTB now. No question that the wheels leave a lot to be desired, both in width and weight.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Wow, that was quick. Took the bike in yesterday at lunchtime. Guy took a copy of the printed recall notice, some pics of the bike (wheels, frame number etc) and rang back at 5:15pm that night. Missed the message and rang back this morning expecting all sorts of delays, stall, questions like "We need a copy of the receipt" etc, but instead got a

"Yeah, all approved, should have the wheels here tomorrow r day after. Then we'll book a time and swap it all over"

:shock: :thumbup:

Interesting to know re the Mavic parting, so keen to see what the replacement is. I'll keep you posted !! :beerchug:

MichaelB

by MichaelB

msv wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:53 pm
..It'll be interesting to see what wheels you get now that Cannondale and Mavic have parted ways and they are using WTB now. No question that the wheels leave a lot to be desired, both in width and weight.
Wheelset is in !! Crikey. That's the good news.

Bad news is that they are the same per original recall spec, i.e. with Mavic XM419 rims :cry:

Due to restricted budget, have two options ;
- Suck it up Princess, you are a fat bugger anyway, or
- This is WW man - build some !!

Would love to go some carbon rims like Light Bicycle RG722 (36 deep x 29 wide x 22.4 int, 380g ea & A$600 landed) or Nextie XC30 (30 deep x 30 wide x 23.4 int, 375g ea & A$560 landed), but that's beyond my $$ threshold. DT Swiss RR481 (or R500db are very similar) that are closer to A$120 delievered (25 deep x 26 wide x 22 int, 455g ea ).

I can get a new Lefty 50 hub (Cannondale for $60) and probably find a decent rear if I am, patient for a good price.

Any other reasonably priced rim/hub suggestions ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

msv

by msv

As you already know, this bike basically requires a custom built wheelset, as it's a unique bird. While my ENVE set still ended up being much more than you are looking to spend, I was able to put it together for a good price by buying a full wheelset, selling off the original hubs and spokes, and then having them built up. Doing it this way, the pair of ENVE hoops ended up costing me $400. So if you're not in a hurry, hunting the internet for a good deal on a full wheelset where the pieces have value can pay off. Even better if you get a set that has the right rear hub already.

The Cannondale front hub is definitely the way to go with price/quality/weight. I don't see any reason at all to go for something else. My rear hub was a huge portion of the wheelset cost, and not so sure I should have spent that much.