Cannondale Slate - anybody else excited?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

hoburgen

by hoburgen

@cerro, thanks. Funny enough I was certain Garbaruk offered one (having checked that at some point late last year). But I must have dreamt it, as the largest they seem to offer is 42. But I've reached out to them, still waiting for a reply. A 44 in melon would be sooo pretty. :-)

Champ5000

by Champ5000

Hi all

Thinking about ordering a Slate online - as I don't have local dealer nearby.

I'm 175 cm. and have an inseam of 83 cm.

I would imagine that a size small would be the size for me.

Any with similar body geometry as me who has experience with a size small?

Any feedback would be appreciated

BR

Christian

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

atonik

by atonik

Hm, same height size M fits me perfectly if that helps.

Champ5000

by Champ5000

Hi Atonik

Thanks for your reply.

Do you have a picture of your bike?

How long stem do you use?

SlateR

by SlateR

Hi guys, sorry for the silly question, but: I removed my rear wheel and put it away last winter with its stock rear axle and 3 spacers (two “single” ones and a “double” one). Now I’m putting the wheel back on and... it seems I can’t fill in all the spacers, just the “double” one or both the “single” ones. Unfortunately I didn’t take any picture last winter in order to rember how it was. Now, even so the wheel seems ok and my LBS says it’s ok too... but I was wondering how everything was set up in the first place.
How is it on your Slate?

Thanks for any help and forgive me for my poor english ^^’

jameseilers

by jameseilers

SlateR wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:22 pm
Hi guys, sorry for the silly question, but: I removed my rear wheel and put it away last winter with its stock rear axle and 3 spacers (two “single” ones and a “double” one). Now I’m putting the wheel back on and... it seems I can’t fill in all the spacers, just the “double” one or both the “single” ones. Unfortunately I didn’t take any picture last winter in order to rember how it was. Now, even so the wheel seems ok and my LBS says it’s ok too... but I was wondering how everything was set up in the first place.
How is it on your Slate?

Thanks for any help and forgive me for my poor english ^^’
Not sure exactly what your issue is. I'm not aware of any spacers on my rear wheel.

jameseilers

by jameseilers

I've been watching this thread for quite a while and have referenced it a lot. I thought I would share some recent upgrades to my Slate.

-XT M8000 derailleur with Wolf Tooth Tanpan
Still running the 11-28 cassette which is fine as its very flat where I live in Virginia.

-Wolf Tooth 44T chainring
-Service Course SL-70 Ergo handlebars (Fabric Knurl tape)
Very comfortable, shallow drops, lightweight and pretty cheap.

-Cannondale OPI stem
-I love this thing, mostly because it looks awesome. Had to do the install myself as shops that are certified to work on Cannondale bikes are not allowed to install it because Cannondale says the Slate is not compatible with the OPI stem. I haven't quite figured out why they have this stance. Many people are riding this combo. One of Cannondale's factory riders actually had one on their Slate at one point and I pointed this out when talking to customer service about compatibility. The picture disappeared from Instagram after that.

Next upgrade is wheels! Has anyone found any good frame plugs?

atonik

by atonik

@champ5000 90mm stem seems to suit me fine. no pictures right now as I'm replacing everything except for the frame and fork of course.

@james I've gone the route of https://www.lightbicycle.com/Disc-650B- ... bikes.html . Should make a fairly light wheel set.

Pgmiv

by Pgmiv

jameseilers wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:04 am
I've been watching this thread for quite a while and have referenced it a lot. I thought I would share some recent upgrades to my Slate.

-XT M8000 derailleur with Wolf Tooth Tanpan
Still running the 11-28 cassette which is fine as its very flat where I live in Virginia.

-Wolf Tooth 44T chainring
-Service Course SL-70 Ergo handlebars (Fabric Knurl tape)
Very comfortable, shallow drops, lightweight and pretty cheap.

-Cannondale OPI stem
-I love this thing, mostly because it looks awesome. Had to do the install myself as shops that are certified to work on Cannondale bikes are not allowed to install it because Cannondale says the Slate is not compatible with the OPI stem. I haven't quite figured out why they have this stance. Many people are riding this combo. One of Cannondale's factory riders actually had one on their Slate at one point and I pointed this out when talking to customer service about compatibility. The picture disappeared from Instagram after that.

Next upgrade is wheels! Has anyone found any good frame plugs?
Hi, do you face any gear shifting problem with the m8000 rear derailleur?

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

jameseilers wrote: -Cannondale OPI stem
One google search and I fount this. Probably explains why it is not possible to have Cannondale dealers fit the stem.
https://www.cannondale.com/en/Europe/OPI%20Recalls.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by ultimobici on Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marin

by Marin

Come on, we need another full quote

Gex64

by Gex64

I have an Apex slate and want to do a di2 upgrade. While gathering together the list of parts I noticed that the front brake is post mount vs flat for the rear. I wanted to puchase the Ultegra R8070 shifter set which only comes with flat mount brakes. Is there no way for me to use the new BR8070 brake on the front?

I found this adaptor from Shimano which looks like it might work?
https://www.universalcycles.com/shoppin ... p?id=79585
The Front 140/160 flat mount to flat mount

omniviper

by omniviper

offtopic. does anyone know the stock wheelset weight without tires? XM319 with the stuff?

I plan to make a dt swiss 700c wheelset using 240s hubs and xr331 rims. not very aero though.

got3nn

by got3nn

Hi Guys

I just bought Slate on 105 - finding XL was a nightmare ;)

And looking to do some upgrades - Front to 50/34 - rear 11-36 with wolflink, rear rotor to 160mm

Also looking into some lighter wheelset option - do you have any experience with this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1160g-B ... 22885.html ?

Is Lefty Oliver using Lefty 2.0 or 1.0 hub?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

triteacher

by triteacher

Lefty Oliver definitely uses Lefty 1.0 (50mm) hubs.