New Trek Crockett (Major Updates - 10/3/2018, Di2)

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Well, after debating the canti/disc issue on a prior thread, I settled on the disc-brake Crockett (mainly for price). This bike was decidedly a "budget" build for me. I wanted to keep my out-of-pocket expenses at around $1,200, but overshot my budget by about $200 (final out-of-pocket cost was $1,398). This is mainly attributable to the switch to disc brakes.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to weigh any of the components because I had the bike built by my old shop back home. I originally wanted to document the entire build, but wasn't able to.

The bike is in transit to me, and I should be receiving it sometime next week. I'll post the weight then.

Here's the current build list (* denotes a part I already had):

Frame/Fork: Trek Crockett (61cm)
Stem: Bontrager RXL (110cm)
*Bars: Bontrager Race
*Seatpost: Bontrager XXX (400mm)
*Saddle: Bontrager Affinity RL (138mm)
Wheels: Bontrager Affinity Comp
Tires: Bontrager CX0 TLR
Crank: Ultegra 6800 (46/36, 175mm)
FD: Ultegra 6800
*RD: Ultegra 6800 GS
*Cassette: Ultegra 6800 (11/32)
Shifters: Ultegra 6800
Brakes: TRP Spyre (160mm)
Cables/Housing: Shimano
Cages: Bontrager Hollow
Bar Tape: Bontrager Gel Grip
Pedals: EggBeater 3
*Chain: KMC X11SL

The bike is currently set up as a gravel bike. I plan on putting a lot of miles on this bike, including on and off road. I will be building up a set of wheels for road/gravel use, built around Shimano CX75 hubs that I purchased. Those wheels will be equipped with some Challenge Strada Biancha tires. I'll post a more detailed build on those, once I start on them.
Last edited by FIJIGabe on Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Thanks!

I was able to get the frame for under $700 (and there's currently a brand new, identical frame on eBay for $600). $1,400 was the total cost for the complete bike. Some parts I had from building up my wife's Domane, since I wasn't sure if I was going to use the 11-32 cassette or mid-cage RD, and I bought the derailleur at a great price (like $50 or something, brand new). It had been sitting in my drawer for eight months, before I decided to build this bike.

Also, I had a complete set of Ultegra 6700 components that I sold to buy many of the parts used on this build. Although I don't count that toward the total price, it certainly helped.

I took her out for a 41 mile club ride yesterday. 99.999% road, at an "easier" pace. She worked great, and once I can fit the road-friendly tires on her, she'll definitely become my go-to Sunday bike. I need to readjust the derailleurs. The front rubbed in the big chain ring, and the rear started protesting toward the end of the ride, but that's to be expected from cables stretching. I also lowered the stem (10mm above the cap), and have some trimming to do on the headtube (must remove at least 20mm, if not 30, depending on further rides and fitment).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Finally did some adjusting and removed 20cm off the steerer tube. I also switched over to some Challenge Strada Bianca's. Current weight is an embarrassing 9.58kg. Gotta work on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djm

by djm

Nice bike! I like the color.

One question; how do you seal the brake housing on the rear? Judging by the angle of the housing where it enters the brake there will potentially be a possibilit of sand etc. running into the housing..?

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Great question, and the answer is "sealed ferrules or other sealing systems are not recommended". This is per the Spyre's instructions. They recommend compression-less housing all the way to the brake.

https://www.trpbrakes.com/userfiles/fil ... 281%29.pdf

djm

by djm

Potentially no brake in the rear in the cold then.. I've seen Giant too do this on one of their CXs. Seems odd these companies are making "mistakes" like these.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

It shouldn't be an issue in the cold, as they're mechanical brakes, however, I'll snap a closer picture of the area when I get home tonight and post it so you can take a look.

jooo

by jooo

I think djm means that snow/mud/water could get inside the housing and freeze the cable in place.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Ah, I understand.

Here's a closeup of the rear brake.

ImageImage

F45

by F45

Nice ride. Nice pictures. Love the gumwall Strada Biancas.

I would ride that bike.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Gravity definitely working against you with that rear brake cable angle. Water could run along the cable and into the housing. Even if it doesn't freeze, it is less than an idea design. Nice bike BTW.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Thanks for the compliments. Luckily for me, freezing water isn't much of a concern in my part of Texas ;)

I'm definitely looking into putting a boot or some other method to prevent water/dirt/sand from entering into the opening. I think there's definitely something lacking there.

Now the next step is to drop some weight off this pig. She rolls very well, and once those heavy wheels get moving, there's no stopping her, but it would be nice to drop at least 1kg, if I can make some smart choices. Any suggestions?

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I thought about doing this exact same build.....looks mighty fine. I would go with black tape since dirty rides are this bikes business and the yellow tape will always be tatty. You could lose 1kg in the wheels if you wanted to swap out for some carbon tubulars.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I have thought about tubulars for racing, but I wouldn't want to use them on any sort of touring/gravel rides I plan on doing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Just wanted to post an update. Finally got her dirty this week. Local trails and back roads. I learned to ALWAYS keep a spare dollar in my pocket for power washing trips!

Oh, and I'll definitely be switching to black bar tape in the near future!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk