Brakes. What are you using and what is a good buy?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

BmanX

by BmanX

I am just about to get my new frame painted and should have it back this week but do not have brakes for it yet. What would you suggest on the light side and on the less expensive side of things. Not sure if I am going to build this light or just for winter riding. Thanks

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

I have Alu spookys and love them. They are pretty easy to set up, use standard pads and are relatively light and inexpensive.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

seriousconsult

by seriousconsult

Easy to set up.
2 minute pad changes.
cheap.
work great.

jeremyb

by jeremyb

im using the paul neo retro/touring combo. i like them alot. especially that you can dial in toe in due to the cartridge type pads. theyre not the cheapest though.

Boogie

by Boogie

I don't know what you budget is. Spooky's are very good but they cost more. On my trainingbike I got the Avid Textro and I like them.
You shouldn't buy the Radius, they are worse:(. I will replace them for Spooky carbon probably(Thnx to Timo;)

Algera

by Algera

bman88 wrote:I am just about to get my new frame painted and should have it back this week but do not have brakes for it yet. What would you suggest on the light side and on the less expensive side of things. Not sure if I am going to build this light or just for winter riding. Thanks

Well, I use the froglegs with 4ZA break pads for carbon wheels. I would like to buy Spooky Carbon Cantis, but it seems to be very difficult to get them in Germany... :noidea:

Algera

by Algera

jeremyb wrote:im using the paul neo retro/touring combo. i like them alot. especially that you can dial in toe in due to the cartridge type pads. theyre not the cheapest though.

This site does not work: http://www.plusonelap.blogspot.com/ :(

jeremyb

by jeremyb

yeah i know the server is down right now. im a little pissed.

BmanX

by BmanX

Well I finally got my new cross frame, forks and brakes. I picked up a 54cm Redline Conquest and fork (to be replaced with a carbon fork) and ended up getting a free set of TEKTRO Oryx Canti Brakes with some TEKTRO Carbon cross levers (paid for the levers). Other parts going on the bike will be a FSA Gossamer MegaExo Compact crank. Crank Bros Candy SL pedals, full ultegra 9 speed, Thomson seatpost, Syntace stem, Pazzaz carbon/aluminum bar and most likely some Ritchey Pro DS wheels. Most of the parts are spare parts from other bikes that I have been building up. I will post some pictures when it is done. Hopefully not a tank and would like to get it around 20 or under.

elmar schrauth
Shop Owner

by elmar schrauth

the original tektro brakepads dont last very long , but brake very good on all of my rims

since two days i am ridingt mini v-brakes
first impresion : perfekt
weigt : a little more
handpower very low
much more space between pads and rim , as on long v-brakes
very fast adjustable

elmar

elmar schrauth
Shop Owner

by elmar schrauth

the original tektro brakepads dont last very long , but brake very good on all of my rims

since two days i am ridingt mini v-brakes
first impresion : perfekt
weigt : a little more
handpower very low
much more space between pads and rim , as on long v-brakes
very fast adjustable

elmar

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com