Ultegra Di2 discs.

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

stoney

by stoney

Rear shifting is awesome...no cable stretch yet! :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stephenjames

by stephenjames

I have just built up a new Cannondale SuperX using the R785 levers but mated to the latest XTR M987 XC calipers as they are lighter. I run single ring on the CX bike using the Cannondale Si chainset and a stages PM arm so I have setup the shifting so that both buttons on the RH lever go down the cassette and both buttons on the LH lever go up the cassette. I find this to be very useful with freezing hands you are sure to hit one of the buttons to make the shift!!

With this build I have also routed the cables internally and used the internal mounted battery in the seat tube.

I can't wait to race this bike come September - the Di2 and hydraulic braking combination is just superb

Stephen James

Renvale RT/Reveloutdoors.co.uk/Cannondale

rasmussloth

by rasmussloth

What frame was it?

Black/grey/red?

rasmussloth

by rasmussloth

And where were you able to buy a superx frame?

Did you buy a complete bike?

stephenjames

by stephenjames

It is the normal Cannondale Green/Blacl/White colours, and yes I did have to buy a complete bike but the SRAM disc model can be found for reasonable money. I found one in the USA for $3500 and imported to the UK then sold most of the spare parts!

rasmussloth

by rasmussloth

The model from 2013?

Is it "di2-ready"?

stephenjames

by stephenjames

No it is not Di2 ready but it is quite easy to make a neat job.

I have drilled a hole for the grommet in the down tube then routed the wire inside to the BB. The internal battery sits inside the seatpost and the wire from that also drops down to the BB area. The only part i did not route internally was for the rear mech. For this I drilled a hole in the bottom of the BB shell and took the wire directly out through another grommet and used the shimano cable cover to run the cable on the under-side of the chainstay.

Then for your wires around the BB, I find it is best to use superglue to bond them around the outside of the inner BB shell to keep them away from the BB spindle. I mounted the internal junction box right at the bottom of the down tube near the BB shell.

For me it was quite an easy install although of course make great care with drilling the holes. I own a company that manufactures the wiring harnesses for F1 teams such as Mercedes, RBR, Lotus etc so wiring is second nature!!

rasmussloth

by rasmussloth

Ok

Thanks for sharing.

I don't know if i'm willing to drill a carbon frame though.

If possible, please post i picture. It sounds like an awesome bike!

stephenjames

by stephenjames

Really dont be afraid to drill the frame - a well placed hole never caused any issues! Just make sure you use new drill bits and step up to the 6mm in increments. Also use masking tape on the frame where you are going to drill.

Some pictures

https://www.flickr.com/photos/85831261@N04/13445450024/in/photostream/

rasmussloth

by rasmussloth

Lookong good!

Have you finished building the bike?

If so, what does it weigh?

stephenjames

by stephenjames

7.14 kg with the SRAM Elsa PM chainset, setup single ring. Pretty happy with that, and that is with the 38mm carbon tubs + FMB's as in the pic

Realtwin

by Realtwin

I'm building one at the moment, having fun with the Di2 and the R785's at the moment.

Realtwin

by Realtwin

The holes for the grommets are only small 7mm diameter. Just be careful drilling and use the shimano grommets.

Realtwin

by Realtwin

stephenjames wrote:No it is not Di2 ready but it is quite easy to make a neat job.

I have drilled a hole for the grommet in the down tube then routed the wire inside to the BB. The internal battery sits inside the seatpost and the wire from that also drops down to the BB area. The only part i did not route internally was for the rear mech. For this I drilled a hole in the bottom of the BB shell and took the wire directly out through another grommet and used the shimano cable cover to run the cable on the under-side of the chainstay.

Then for your wires around the BB, I find it is best to use superglue to bond them around the outside of the inner BB shell to keep them away from the BB spindle. I mounted the internal junction box right at the bottom of the down tube near the BB shell.

For me it was quite an easy install although of course make great care with drilling the holes. I own a company that manufactures the wiring harnesses for F1 teams such as Mercedes, RBR, Lotus etc so wiring is second nature!!

That's a good tip with the superglue, I was going to use tape.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Realtwin

by Realtwin

stephenjames wrote:I have just built up a new Cannondale SuperX using the R785 levers but mated to the latest XTR M987 XC calipers as they are lighter. I run single ring on the CX bike using the Cannondale Si chainset and a stages PM arm so I have setup the shifting so that both buttons on the RH lever go down the cassette and both buttons on the LH lever go up the cassette. I find this to be very useful with freezing hands you are sure to hit one of the buttons to make the shift!!

With this build I have also routed the cables internally and used the internal mounted battery in the seat tube.

I can't wait to race this bike come September - the Di2 and hydraulic braking combination is just superb

Stephen James

Renvale RT/Reveloutdoors.co.uk/Cannondale

That's a good idea with the shifters and shows the versatility of the Di2.