Anybody going to Louisville - Roll call

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

ms6073

by ms6073

Looks like I was wrong in my assertion about course prep/setup:EVA BANDMAN PARK STARTING TO SHAPE UP FOR CX WORLDS
Interesting to note the use of metal baricade for ski fencing to line the course instead of the wooden stakes/tape that was primarily used at the USGP. I am really curious to know where the organizers intend to park cars for the estimated 4000-7000 spectators? The parking offered next to the venue exceeded capacity for the Derby City USGP so maybe they plan to have everyone park over at the baseball stadium and offer shuttle service:

- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

JN2Wheels

by JN2Wheels

I was down there yesterday with the Swiss team...

The tent city is MASSIVE. This is going to be one heck of a show. Simon and company were putting on a demonstration of how to ride the stone-step runup! I can confirm that the entire course is going to be fenced. I find this interesting as well. Perhaps the organizers are worried about our super-enthusiastic crowds trying to cut the course all over the place. This is a very spectator-friendly venue, and it is quite possible to dart around during the race and see multiple laps from every standout vantage. But be nice and respect the course marshalls! They are volunteers. :)

Regarding the masters course, it is 3/4 mile away, and was the go-to venue for USGP and OVCX racing/training before Bandman came around. It will be a superb course, no doubt. I haven't ridden the loop yet, but I know the guys laying it out, and talked with a lot of the volunteers who helped with setup. You won't be dissapointed. My bet is that Bikerumor has a pre-ride video up in the coming days! I don't have a video camera, but if nothing is up over the weekend, I'll at least take some pictures!

-JN

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

I live in Cincy so I am going to the race on Saturday at King's.....so i get a preview of the riders!!!
to go faster....just pedal harder!

ms6073

by ms6073

JN2Wheels wrote:Simon and company were putting on a demonstration of how to ride the stone-step runup!
Very nice - does that include the descent off the levy into the 180 just before the base of the steps? At the USGP last November, for the masters events myself and a number of others were able to ride the stone steps during the course preview the day before, but come race time, with the high speeds off the descent, it was simply faster to dismount at the 180 and run up. Even with things cleared out after the first two laps of the masters race, I think most were too thrashed to give it a try for the remaining laps and of the three who tried, Powers was the only one to ride up nearly every lap during the main event. Of course based on experiences from that venue during last years Worlds, if the weather gets bad, I am doubt there will be that many riding up any of those inclines. The extended forecast includes a good chance of rain nearly every day next week, and the last descent/climb is difficult when conditions are good and will be a very difficult hill to run up if not. :D
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Mapei down under

by Mapei down under

Not to ask a stupid question but I'm coming up from SC with my family for the weekend. As ex-pat Aussies, we're not as used to the cold and snow as those from the northern states.

It doesn't get as cold here as in Louisville so we are bringing more warm clothing but it is footwear that is the main issue.

I'm planning on going wandering around the course a bit to watch the race but my shoes I was planning on wearing are waterproof Rockports but only dress shoe in height.

Are they likely to be ok from anyone who has wandered around the park in Louisville before or will I need higher top shoes due to mud / ice etc?

We head off on Thursday after work so anyone's adivce before then will be welcome.

Thanks to all in advance for their help.
"I love a sunburnt country, its sweeping hills and plains. Where the red earth meets the blue sky and it never bloody rains".
Doc Neeson - The Angels (Skin and Bone).

JN2Wheels

by JN2Wheels

Mapei, I would suggest boots. There will be quite a bit of rain the next few days, then freezing temps, then slightly above freezing for the races. Will be a muddy mess. I would suspect, if you do it right, you will be darting around without respect for where each foot goes!