New Aspero???

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

chmiel

by chmiel

cerro wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:12 pm
UltraXC wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:00 pm
prj71 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:30 pm
IMO, the Aspero needs to be able to fit wider tires up to 700 x 45 or 50. That's why I didn't buy that bike.
Funny, I bought an Aspero because it doesn't fit tires that wide. I wanted something that didn't ride or look funny with 28mm tires but could also fit 40mm tires for the occasional gravel ride/race.
Depends what look you like I guess. I use my Ostro Gravel with 26mm tires for road :)

But for sure, hope the Aspero will be more aero. It's an aerobrand after all.
Exactly, Aspero is an Aero Brand. They need a new brand if they want to introduce a gravel bike with bigger tire clearance that isn't race focused.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fac83ajc

by fac83ajc

UltraXC wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:28 pm
The Addict Gravel has longer chainstays, and a much longer wheelbase than an Aspero. From what I've read, the Addict is limited to a 40-42mm tire with a 2x setup anyways... unless you run a wide crank with smaller chainrings.
Just to say, got a new 2024 Addict Gravel 40 this weekend (In orange, but it's actually Coral, will post pics soonish), with the new GRX 12 speed mechanical. Had the shop stick a DA 9200 50/34 crank on there and there is no clearance issues at all with the stock 45mm tyres. Probably going to change to 47mm pathfinders as there looks to be plenty of space.

UltraXC

by UltraXC

fac83ajc wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:51 am
UltraXC wrote:
The Addict Gravel has longer chainstays, and a much longer wheelbase than an Aspero. From what I've read, the Addict is limited to a 40-42mm tire with a 2x setup anyways... unless you run a wide crank with smaller chainrings.
Just to say, got a new 2024 Addict Gravel 40 this weekend (In orange, but it's actually Coral, will post pics soonish), with the new GRX 12 speed mechanical. Had the shop stick a DA 9200 50/34 crank on there and there is no clearance issues at all with the stock 45mm tyres. Probably going to change to 47mm pathfinders as there looks to be plenty of space.
Yeah, it looks like the people on this forum were having issues with electronic groupsets, specifically 2x Road AXS and 12sp Di2. Which seems to be the case with a few bikes out there. Even Cervelo says that the tire clearance on the current Aspero goes down to 38mm if you are running 12sp Shimano road groupsets.

I was listening to a podcast the other day with the new owner of Time Bicycles. He basically alluded to the fact that ~40mm is about as big as you can go and have the bike still feel like a true "road bike". Anything bigger and it's going to be longer, slacker and feel like an endurance bike. Open cycles has spoken about this extensively as well. The Up & Upper is limited to 40mm. You can see the differnce in the Canyon Grail vs Grizl. They are different bikes for difference purposes.

People in the gravel world tend to think you can "have it all". Big tire clearance, road bike feel, adventure bike capabilites. It's just not possible given the geometry constraints. If you're running a 45mm+ tire your bike probably does not feel like a snappy road bike. That's just the way she goes, Randy. We have Gravel/Road bikes and we have Gravel/Adventure bikes. Some bikes can wiggle in between, like the Addict Gravel. But you're still dealing with geometry that ends up being far off of a true road bike. The Addict has a wheelbase 5cm longer than a similarly sized Tarmac SL8, whereas an Aspero is around 3cm longer. The stack on an Addict is 2cm higher than a Tarmac, while the Aspero is 1cm. These are just some examples, but the trend continues for much of the geometry. I personally havent ridden an Addict Gravel but I would place a lot of money on it not feeling as much like a road bike as Aspero. Most people might not notice but if you've spent the last 20 years racing bikes you can probably tell. That's not to say it's a bad bike, it's probably great for most people. I just wanted something that behaves more like a road bike and I think a lot of Aspero customers feel the same way.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

UltraXC wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:23 pm
fac83ajc wrote:
UltraXC wrote:
Yeah, it looks like the people on this forum were having issues with electronic groupsets, specifically 2x Road AXS and 12sp Di2. Which seems to be the case with a few bikes out there. Even Cervelo says that the tire clearance on the current Aspero goes down to 38mm if you are running 12sp Shimano road groupsets.

I was listening to a podcast the other day with the new owner of Time Bicycles. He basically alluded to the fact that ~40mm is about as big as you can go and have the bike still feel like a true "road bike". Anything bigger and it's going to be longer, slacker and feel like an endurance bike. Open cycles has spoken about this extensively as well. The Up & Upper is limited to 40mm. You can see the differnce in the Canyon Grail vs Grizl. They are different bikes for difference purposes.

People in the gravel world tend to think you can "have it all". Big tire clearance, road bike feel, adventure bike capabilites. It's just not possible given the geometry constraints. If you're running a 45mm+ tire your bike probably does not feel like a snappy road bike. That's just the way she goes, Randy. We have Gravel/Road bikes and we have Gravel/Adventure bikes. Some bikes can wiggle in between, like the Addict Gravel. But you're still dealing with geometry that ends up being far off of a true road bike. The Addict has a wheelbase 5cm longer than a similarly sized Tarmac SL8, whereas an Aspero is around 3cm longer. The stack on an Addict is 2cm higher than a Tarmac, while the Aspero is 1cm. These are just some examples, but the trend continues for much of the geometry. I personally havent ridden an Addict Gravel but I would place a lot of money on it not feeling as much like a road bike as Aspero. Most people might not notice but if you've spent the last 20 years racing bikes you can probably tell. That's not to say it's a bad bike, it's probably great for most people. I just wanted something that behaves more like a road bike and I think a lot of Aspero customers feel the same way.
Potentially it'd make more sense then for a new Caledonia to be released with 38-40mm tyre clearence for people like yourself.
Then the Aspero could go full gravel and have clearence for larger rubber.

UltraXC

by UltraXC

CampagYOLO wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:52 pm
UltraXC wrote:
fac83ajc wrote:
UltraXC wrote:

Potentially it'd make more sense then for a new Caledonia to be released with 38-40mm tyre clearence for people like yourself.
Then the Aspero could go full gravel and have clearence for larger rubber.
I suppose that makes sense, although I do appreciate the gravel bike touches like the top tube mounts and downtube protector. I'm not sure I would have raced a Caledonia in the bald eagle gravel grinder I did this past weekend. 4.5 hours on the Aspero was enough for me. I wouldn't want something less capable. Especialy when bombing down twisty gravel roads at 45mph.

plrww

by plrww

UltraXC wrote:
From what I've read, the Addict is limited to a 40-42mm tire with a 2x setup anyways... unless you run a wide crank with smaller chainrings.
Just did some measurements on the Scott Addict Gravel. With stock 45 mm wheels (Schwalbe G-One Bite) there is 5 mm clearance between the rear tyre and the chainstays. With Shimano 105 Di2 12-speed front derailleur (cage and other parts) and the tyre there is 8 mm clearance. The Shimano 105 34/50 chainrings mounted on a Power2Max road powermeter crankset there is at least 4 mm clearance between the 34T chainring teeth and the chainstay. I measured the distances by sliding an allen key in the measured gaps.

prj71

by prj71

UltraXC wrote:
I disagree. I put road tires on my Addict Gravel and it feels and moves every bit as good as my Trek Domane Road bike. So much so, that I'm entertaining the idea of selling my Trek and just doing wheel swaps.

UltraXC

by UltraXC

prj71 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:24 pm
UltraXC wrote:
I disagree. I put road tires on my Addict Gravel and it feels and moves every bit as good as my Trek Domane Road bike. So much so, that I'm entertaining the idea of selling my Trek and just doing wheel swaps.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. The Trek Domane (Unless you're talking about an RSL) is not a race bike. It's an endurance road bike with a relaxed, comfortable fit. In fact, it has way less aggressive geometry than your Addict Gravel. You're right, it probably does feel just as good as your Domane. That doesn't mean it feels like a race bike and that's ok if it fits your needs. I happen to want something more aggressive.

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

UltraXC wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:49 pm
prj71 wrote:
UltraXC wrote:
This is exactly what I'm talking about. The Trek Domane (Unless you're talking about an RSL) is not a race bike. It's an endurance road bike with a relaxed, comfortable fit. In fact, it has way less aggressive geometry than your Addict Gravel. You're right, it probably does feel just as good as your Domane. That doesn't mean it feels like a race bike and that's ok if it fits your needs. I happen to want something more aggressive.
I agree with you. I tried my Crux as a road bike/do it all bike and no matter what I did (narrow bars, longer reach, slammed stem), it just never felt like a race bike. I couldn't put my finger on it exactly but it just always felt sort of sluggish, even with my road wheels, compared to my Tarmac. So much that I could never use it as a road bike. I was looking for something like you and almost pulled the trigger on the Aspero. The BMC Kaius was also up there.

jfbrtn

by jfbrtn

Look pretty similar to current model but with integrated cable (à la Soloist)
https://www.instagram.com/p/C6HxqqpvM2y/

RDY

by RDY

jfbrtn wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:43 pm
Look pretty similar to current model but with integrated cable (à la Soloist)
https://www.instagram.com/p/C6HxqqpvM2y/
I was going to say it looks like it has a slacker head angle, but then noticed it's a tiny size which is already relatively slack. Probably just integration and what looks like much improved tire clearance then.

Nohands83

by Nohands83

UltraXC wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:49 pm
prj71 wrote:
UltraXC wrote:

I agree with this. I took my gravel addict to Girona with 2 sets of wheels last years, it's a very good gravel bike but an average road bike. As above though that depends on what your baseline for a 'good' road bike is - mine is a BMC SLR01 with RSL wheels, I'm also an ex-racer as well.

jayjay

by jayjay

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:29 am
Pretty boring update
I would actually prefere the old model :lol:

Weltverloren

by Weltverloren

Huh...so 5mm longer chainstays for 2mm more tire clearance and 46t chainring clearance and semi-integrated cables for the regular (non-5) Aspero...and that's pretty much it, no?
No storage solutions, no aero upgrades, no significant weightsavings, no smartly integrated accessoires (like Canyon's aero clip-in bag)...

I find this quite disappointing given all the other options released for gravel racers since the Aspero came out originally. : (

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com