Crux 2021

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Post Reply
Andy13
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:23 pm

by Andy13

I want to use an Absolute Black 46t oval direct mount chainring on my Easton EC90SL crankset, but am afraid there won't be enough chainstay clearance. Anyone out there with experience or advice? I'm also assuming that a 44t oval will work if the 46 won't. Thanks in advance.

CasualRider
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:36 am

by CasualRider

Andy13 wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:24 am
I want to use an Absolute Black 46t oval direct mount chainring on my Easton EC90SL crankset, but am afraid there won't be enough chainstay clearance. Anyone out there with experience or advice? I'm also assuming that a 44t oval will work if the 46 won't. Thanks in advance.
I run 46 round on my bike and I belive it's the max you can fit.
Tarmac SL7 Snake Eye
Crux Forest green
Venge Bora Team - retired
Purple Venge - retired
Trek Madone SLR 7 retired

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



JHeiro
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:27 pm
Location: Finland

by JHeiro

Image

First ride with my S-Works Crux today. Normally we have snow already at this time of the year, but today was +14'C and sunshine!

Built with SRAM Red XPLR, Enve G23 & DT180, RH Hurricane Ridge EL 700x42, Beast Components gravel bar & stem, S-Works Romin Mirror saddle. 7,22kg as seen here.

Fell in love with S-Works Aethos that I built last season, and wanted something that felt similar for gravel riding. The Crux seems to tick all the boxes: it's light, nimble, responsive, has direct and razor-sharp handling while still managing to be relatively comfortable.

fbonde
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:26 pm

by fbonde

JHeiro wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:23 pm
Image

First ride with my S-Works Crux today. Normally we have snow already at this time of the year, but today was +14'C and sunshine!

Built with SRAM Red XPLR, Enve G23 & DT180, RH Hurricane Ridge EL 700x42, Beast Components gravel bar & stem, S-Works Romin Mirror saddle. 7,22kg as seen here.

Fell in love with S-Works Aethos that I built last season, and wanted something that felt similar for gravel riding. The Crux seems to tick all the boxes: it's light, nimble, responsive, has direct and razor-sharp handling while still managing to be relatively comfortable.
Agree, I wanted the same. The handling is razor-sharp. It's fast and very responsive. However, I'm not super happy with the SRAM braking or shiting. I might go for the 2x Shimano I wanted to avoid 2x, but I really can't with SRAM.

Image
insta: @fbonde

yinzerniner
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:54 pm

by yinzerniner

ChrisRideLog wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:05 pm
Frame weight summary

Claimed frame weight by Specialized
725g | 56cm | S-Works Crux (12R)
825g | 56cm | Crux (10R)

Actual frame weight
747g | 54cm | S-Works Crux (12R) | Satin Brushed Liquid Silver/Gloss Black/Smoke Marble/Gold Diamond Dust
780g | 56cm | S-Works Crux (12R) | Satin Carbon/Spectraflair/Gloss Abalone
790g | 56cm | S-Works Crux (12R) | Satin Brushed Liquid Silver/Gloss Black/Smoke Marble/Gold Diamond Dust
860g | 52cm | Crux (10R) | Satin Dusty Blue/Ice Papaya // Fork: 400g
870g | 52cm | Crux (10R) | Gloss Coral Lilac Fade/Carbon/Limestone/Papaya/Grey/Black

Looking forward for more input :beerchug:
Add mine to the list, finally got hands on a Gloss Coral Lilac Fade/Carbon/Limestone/Papaya/Grey/Black in 56cm
Actual frame weight
900g | 56cm | Crux (10R) | Gloss Coral Lilac Fade/Carbon/Limestone/Papaya/Grey/Black
That's the bare frame with the RD hanger.

Fork Uncut: 404g
Fork TA: 23g
Frame TA: 29g
Seat Collar: 14g
Downtube Plate & Bolt: 5g
Bottle Cage Bolts x6 : 6g
FD Hanger + Bolts: 9g
Top Cap: 7g
Expander Plug: 14g
All carbon spacers: 10g
Headset & Rubber Cap: 52g
Plugs: 2g
Chainstay Protector: 7g

So full chassis before any components hung: 1482g

urturt
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:46 am

by urturt

Image

Just shy of 7kgs. Ridden +1500km on mixed roads and love the agility and responsiveness of this machine. Its approved.

ouengineer17
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:42 pm

by ouengineer17

fbonde wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:37 pm
JHeiro wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:23 pm
Image

First ride with my S-Works Crux today. Normally we have snow already at this time of the year, but today was +14'C and sunshine!

Built with SRAM Red XPLR, Enve G23 & DT180, RH Hurricane Ridge EL 700x42, Beast Components gravel bar & stem, S-Works Romin Mirror saddle. 7,22kg as seen here.

Fell in love with S-Works Aethos that I built last season, and wanted something that felt similar for gravel riding. The Crux seems to tick all the boxes: it's light, nimble, responsive, has direct and razor-sharp handling while still managing to be relatively comfortable.
Agree, I wanted the same. The handling is razor-sharp. It's fast and very responsive. However, I'm not super happy with the SRAM braking or shiting. I might go for the 2x Shimano I wanted to avoid 2x, but I really can't with SRAM.

Image
The Sram shifting is pretty rough if you've had Di2. My 1271 cassette is loud and ridiculously noisy. And the RD already needs a minor tuneup. A red/force AXS group was way cheaper than anything Di2 so it had to be part of the build to make the money work, but it's definitely my least favorite part of the bike.

The poor braking I fixed with the right rotors tho. Switched to Galfer Wave, which I also run on my MTB and the power/feel/modulation is very good now (previous rotors were XT tho so never ran Sram rotors). Ridiculously light too at 97g ea for the CL 160mm version.

Mirco
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:09 pm

by Mirco

When using the wrong chain, shifting is always not as good as aspected. Use a flat top chain.

fbonde
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:26 pm

by fbonde

Mirco wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:19 am
When using the wrong chain, shifting is always not as good as aspected. Use a flat top chain.
Good point thanks.
insta: @fbonde

fbonde
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:26 pm

by fbonde

ouengineer17 wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:07 am
fbonde wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:37 pm
JHeiro wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:23 pm
Image

First ride with my S-Works Crux today. Normally we have snow already at this time of the year, but today was +14'C and sunshine!

Built with SRAM Red XPLR, Enve G23 & DT180, RH Hurricane Ridge EL 700x42, Beast Components gravel bar & stem, S-Works Romin Mirror saddle. 7,22kg as seen here.

Fell in love with S-Works Aethos that I built last season, and wanted something that felt similar for gravel riding. The Crux seems to tick all the boxes: it's light, nimble, responsive, has direct and razor-sharp handling while still managing to be relatively comfortable.
Agree, I wanted the same. The handling is razor-sharp. It's fast and very responsive. However, I'm not super happy with the SRAM braking or shiting. I might go for the 2x Shimano I wanted to avoid 2x, but I really can't with SRAM.

Image
The Sram shifting is pretty rough if you've had Di2. My 1271 cassette is loud and ridiculously noisy. And the RD already needs a minor tuneup. A red/force AXS group was way cheaper than anything Di2 so it had to be part of the build to make the money work, but it's definitely my least favorite part of the bike.

The poor braking I fixed with the right rotors tho. Switched to Galfer Wave, which I also run on my MTB and the power/feel/modulation is very good now (previous rotors were XT tho so never ran Sram rotors). Ridiculously light too at 97g ea for the CL 160mm version.
Will try that, thanks.
insta: @fbonde

jadedaid
Posts: 154
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:43 pm
Location: NY / CPH / PRG

by jadedaid

Have any of you who own a Crux also ridden any titanium gravel frames? I'm looking to build up an all-road bike for use next year, and debating between getting something like a 2017-2019 geometry Moots Routt RSL (I have a soft spot for the brand) or a Crux. I don't like riding gravel gnar but a lot of the rides I take can be switched up to 50-50 road and fire road style gravel. So my use case is fast bike that can take up to 400m tires and be good on road, bad road, and offroad terain on the lighter side of things. I'm not going to be traversing streams and mudfields.

The Crux looks like a great bike - and given how much I like my Tarmac I'm tempted to try the Crux as well. But there's a voice in my head that says go back to titanium for your 'abuse' bike. Thoughts?
Vamoots RSL Disc - 7.6kg
Tarmac SL7 Pro - 7.9kg

RDY
Posts: 1471
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:31 pm

by RDY

jadedaid wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:18 pm
Have any of you who own a Crux also ridden any titanium gravel frames? I'm looking to build up an all-road bike for use next year, and debating between getting something like a 2017-2019 geometry Moots Routt RSL (I have a soft spot for the brand) or a Crux. I don't like riding gravel gnar but a lot of the rides I take can be switched up to 50-50 road and fire road style gravel. So my use case is fast bike that can take up to 400m tires and be good on road, bad road, and offroad terain on the lighter side of things. I'm not going to be traversing streams and mudfields.

The Crux looks like a great bike - and given how much I like my Tarmac I'm tempted to try the Crux as well. But there's a voice in my head that says go back to titanium for your 'abuse' bike. Thoughts?
The Moots gravel bikes are heavily optimized for ride comfort. You're choosing between comfort & durability and light weight.

yinzerniner
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:54 pm

by yinzerniner

jadedaid wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:18 pm
Have any of you who own a Crux also ridden any titanium gravel frames? I'm looking to build up an all-road bike for use next year, and debating between getting something like a 2017-2019 geometry Moots Routt RSL (I have a soft spot for the brand) or a Crux. I don't like riding gravel gnar but a lot of the rides I take can be switched up to 50-50 road and fire road style gravel. So my use case is fast bike that can take up to 400m tires and be good on road, bad road, and offroad terain on the lighter side of things. I'm not going to be traversing streams and mudfields.

The Crux looks like a great bike - and given how much I like my Tarmac I'm tempted to try the Crux as well. But there's a voice in my head that says go back to titanium for your 'abuse' bike. Thoughts?
Haven't had a chance yet to ride my in-progress Crux pro build but having previously owned a Sage Barlow, Moots Routt 45 and Merlin Sandstone for Ti and a previous-gen Crux, Santa Cruz Stigmata and Open Upper for carbon will post comparison once build is completed

As for how the Crux Pro build is going - does anybody know of a lightweight power crankset option for wide spindles? Doing tire size tests found that 2.1 thunder burts don't clear a regular axs FD, although a 47mm Terreno does with ~5mm clear. Hoping an AXS wide FD will clear the thunder Burt but would need a 5mm wider spindle crank, and not keen on adding the extra ~125g of the force vs the red crankarms.

jadedaid
Posts: 154
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:43 pm
Location: NY / CPH / PRG

by jadedaid

yinzerniner wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:21 pm

Haven't had a chance yet to ride my in-progress Crux pro build but having previously owned a Sage Barlow, Moots Routt 45 and Merlin Sandstone for Ti and a previous-gen Crux, Santa Cruz Stigmata and Open Upper for carbon will post comparison once build is completed
What's your take on the previous gen crux and oppen upper versus the Routt 45? Looking forward to the feedback on the new Crux too. I'm guessing carbon durability on gravel bikes is a non-issue these days, but I'd still be interested in real life feedback.
Vamoots RSL Disc - 7.6kg
Tarmac SL7 Pro - 7.9kg

texano999
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:54 am

by texano999

fbonde wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:37 pm
JHeiro wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:23 pm
Image

First ride with my S-Works Crux today. Normally we have snow already at this time of the year, but today was +14'C and sunshine!

Built with SRAM Red XPLR, Enve G23 & DT180, RH Hurricane Ridge EL 700x42, Beast Components gravel bar & stem, S-Works Romin Mirror saddle. 7,22kg as seen here.

Fell in love with S-Works Aethos that I built last season, and wanted something that felt similar for gravel riding. The Crux seems to tick all the boxes: it's light, nimble, responsive, has direct and razor-sharp handling while still managing to be relatively comfortable.
Agree, I wanted the same. The handling is razor-sharp. It's fast and very responsive. However, I'm not super happy with the SRAM braking or shiting. I might go for the 2x Shimano I wanted to avoid 2x, but I really can't with SRAM.

Image
not possible to install 2X shimano

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



Post Reply