New GRX this year?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Post Reply
Hexsense
Posts: 2914
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:41 am
Location: USA

by Hexsense

I'm using 2x too because it reduce my cassette size significantly.
It's 44/28 front ring: Sram AXS crank+ Gearoop 44/28 direct mount ring.
And a 11-32 cassette.

28t front 32t rear is plenty. And 44 front 11 rear is also plenty with gravel size tire and my usual high cadence riding style.
Interested to see what kind of front ring the next GRX offer.
And I wouldn't mind at all if the next GRX 12 speed cassette are based on Micro-spline interface that start with 10t.

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



User avatar
ultimobici
in the industry
Posts: 3797
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:45 pm
Location: Trento, Italia
Contact:

by ultimobici

Hexsense wrote:I'm using 2x too because it reduce my cassette size significantly.
It's 44/28 front ring: Sram AXS crank+ Gearoop 44/28 direct mount ring.
And a 11-32 cassette.

28t front 32t rear is plenty. And 44 front 11 rear is also plenty with gravel size tire and my usual high cadence riding style.
Interested to see what kind of front ring the next GRX offer.
And I wouldn't mind at all if the next GRX 12 speed cassette are based on Micro-spline interface that start with 10t.
I’ve been using a mix of XTR Di2 & cranks. 44/30 and an SRoad 10-36 cassette. Works fine although I’d be interested in GRX if they go to 36 as a largest sprocket.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RDY
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:31 pm

by RDY

ultimobici wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:13 pm
RDY wrote:Officially, Shimano DOES support this setup and endorses it. Just most people including mechanics cluck and fuss that it won't shift properly or half the gears will be unusable.
They do not endorse it at all. The doubles are rated to 34t maximum. The 1x mech RD-RX812 will shift up to a 42t. However Shimano has always been conservative with their capacities.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Go and check their compatibility chart between GRX and road derailleurs. It ignores their own recommendation for max capacity of the RD. As I said, it's the smoothest running drivetrain I've ever had - 812 RD, DA FD, Q Ring 50/34, XTR 11/40, XTR 12s chain.

User avatar
ultimobici
in the industry
Posts: 3797
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:45 pm
Location: Trento, Italia
Contact:

by ultimobici

RDY wrote:
ultimobici wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:13 pm
RDY wrote:Officially, Shimano DOES support this setup and endorses it. Just most people including mechanics cluck and fuss that it won't shift properly or half the gears will be unusable.
They do not endorse it at all. The doubles are rated to 34t maximum. The 1x mech RD-RX812 will shift up to a 42t. However Shimano has always been conservative with their capacities.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Go and check their compatibility chart between GRX and road derailleurs. It ignores their own recommendation for max capacity of the RD. As I said, it's the smoothest running drivetrain I've ever had - 812 RD, DA FD, Q Ring 50/34, XTR 11/40, XTR 12s chain.
I have and can read. 812 is only recommended for 1x. 810 is for 2x. They said, it may work. I’ve been ignoring Shimano recommendations for almost 3 decades.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

satanas
Posts: 117
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:45 pm

by satanas

FWIW, a significant number of people in bikepacking races have been running 46x30 or similar rings plus 11-42 cassettes and the GRX 2X rear derailleurs. (One person recently was even running 11-46.) The Shimano specs are always very conservative, but they can only recommend what should work in the worst case scenario or they would get considerable grief.

Niekgeerts
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:11 pm
Location: The Netherlands

by Niekgeerts

Shimano silently introduced a new freehub. Microspline Road. It is a 'normal' Microspline freehub that is 1,85mm longer.
It is not the DA 12s freehub.
My best guess it that they will use that on the new 12s GRX group to make it run 10-44 cassettes.

I have some of those freehub at my place already.
- Specialized S-Works Venge - Dura Ace Di2 - FFWD RYOT55
- Specialized Tarmac SL7 10r - Ultegra Di2 - FFWD RYOT33
- Cannondale Scalpel-Si HM - SRAM XX1 AXS - ENVE M525
- Specialized Crux Pro - SRAM FORCE AXS - FFWD DRIFT

RDY
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:31 pm

by RDY

Niekgeerts wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:50 am
Shimano silently introduced a new freehub. Microspline Road. It is a 'normal' Microspline freehub that is 1,85mm longer.
It is not the DA 12s freehub.
My best guess it that they will use that on the new 12s GRX group to make it run 10-44 cassettes.

I have some of those freehub at my place already.
If there's stock in the channel already then surely they intend to launch GRX sooner than this time next year ... or is the intent to replace original MS with this (and a spacer for old cassettes)?

User avatar
ultimobici
in the industry
Posts: 3797
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:45 pm
Location: Trento, Italia
Contact:

by ultimobici

Niekgeerts wrote:Shimano silently introduced a new freehub. Microspline Road. It is a 'normal' Microspline freehub that is 1,85mm longer.
It is not the DA 12s freehub.
My best guess it that they will use that on the new 12s GRX group to make it run 10-44 cassettes.

I have some of those freehub at my place already.
Pics or it isn’t real.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robertbb
Posts: 1877
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:35 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

by robertbb

Niekgeerts wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:50 am
Shimano silently introduced a new freehub. Microspline Road. It is a 'normal' Microspline freehub that is 1,85mm longer.
It is not the DA 12s freehub.
My best guess it that they will use that on the new 12s GRX group to make it run 10-44 cassettes.

I have some of those freehub at my place already.
Does a Shimano 10-44 cassette actually exist?

Niekgeerts
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:11 pm
Location: The Netherlands

by Niekgeerts

RDY wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:48 pm
Niekgeerts wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:50 am
Shimano silently introduced a new freehub. Microspline Road. It is a 'normal' Microspline freehub that is 1,85mm longer.
It is not the DA 12s freehub.
My best guess it that they will use that on the new 12s GRX group to make it run 10-44 cassettes.

I have some of those freehub at my place already.
If there's stock in the channel already then surely they intend to launch GRX sooner than this time next year ... or is the intent to replace original MS with this (and a spacer for old cassettes)?
I think and hope they will.
- Specialized S-Works Venge - Dura Ace Di2 - FFWD RYOT55
- Specialized Tarmac SL7 10r - Ultegra Di2 - FFWD RYOT33
- Cannondale Scalpel-Si HM - SRAM XX1 AXS - ENVE M525
- Specialized Crux Pro - SRAM FORCE AXS - FFWD DRIFT

Niekgeerts
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:11 pm
Location: The Netherlands

by Niekgeerts

robertbb wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:09 am
Niekgeerts wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:50 am
Shimano silently introduced a new freehub. Microspline Road. It is a 'normal' Microspline freehub that is 1,85mm longer.
It is not the DA 12s freehub.
My best guess it that they will use that on the new 12s GRX group to make it run 10-44 cassettes.

I have some of those freehub at my place already.
Does a Shimano 10-44 cassette actually exist?
Not yet, but would be a logical step to match the range of Ekar and XPLR gravel groupsets. (in combination with a new GRX group)
- Specialized S-Works Venge - Dura Ace Di2 - FFWD RYOT55
- Specialized Tarmac SL7 10r - Ultegra Di2 - FFWD RYOT33
- Cannondale Scalpel-Si HM - SRAM XX1 AXS - ENVE M525
- Specialized Crux Pro - SRAM FORCE AXS - FFWD DRIFT

jayjay
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:07 am
Location: Germany
Contact:

by jayjay

Shimano already has a 12-speed Micro Spline 10-45 cassette

Niekgeerts
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:11 pm
Location: The Netherlands

by Niekgeerts

jayjay wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:22 am
Shimano already has a 12-speed 10-45 cassette
Correct, although that one is for a standard MTB microspline freehub
- Specialized S-Works Venge - Dura Ace Di2 - FFWD RYOT55
- Specialized Tarmac SL7 10r - Ultegra Di2 - FFWD RYOT33
- Cannondale Scalpel-Si HM - SRAM XX1 AXS - ENVE M525
- Specialized Crux Pro - SRAM FORCE AXS - FFWD DRIFT

Niekgeerts
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:11 pm
Location: The Netherlands

by Niekgeerts

Image
- Specialized S-Works Venge - Dura Ace Di2 - FFWD RYOT55
- Specialized Tarmac SL7 10r - Ultegra Di2 - FFWD RYOT33
- Cannondale Scalpel-Si HM - SRAM XX1 AXS - ENVE M525
- Specialized Crux Pro - SRAM FORCE AXS - FFWD DRIFT

Niekgeerts
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:11 pm
Location: The Netherlands

by Niekgeerts

ultimobici wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:33 pm
Niekgeerts wrote:Shimano silently introduced a new freehub. Microspline Road. It is a 'normal' Microspline freehub that is 1,85mm longer.
It is not the DA 12s freehub.
My best guess it that they will use that on the new 12s GRX group to make it run 10-44 cassettes.

I have some of those freehub at my place already.
Pics or it isn’t real.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
see previous post
- Specialized S-Works Venge - Dura Ace Di2 - FFWD RYOT55
- Specialized Tarmac SL7 10r - Ultegra Di2 - FFWD RYOT33
- Cannondale Scalpel-Si HM - SRAM XX1 AXS - ENVE M525
- Specialized Crux Pro - SRAM FORCE AXS - FFWD DRIFT

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



Post Reply