Crux 2021

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

rjich

by rjich

I'm 185cm and ride a 56. The reach felt a few cm longer than a 56 tarmac SL6 so swapped stem and seat adjustment accordingly. My saddle height is nearer 780.
ryanw wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:02 pm
Sizing Q:

Looking at the geo comparing against my large Open UPPER, the 56 is bigger and 54 slightly smaller.

Thinking about going for the 54cm frame. Just seeing who's on one and if around same size (183cm, 750mm saddle height).

ryanw

by ryanw

Cheers mate.

Have a 54 coming next week. Will put everything off the UPPER on it, so shall have a 110mm stem, which should hopefully make the fit bang on.

Always found my UPPER to be a tiny bit long for me. I know I could shorten the stem, but the Crux will match my new SL7. So great for vanity :lol:
'22 SL7 S-Works - 6.22kg
'22 Crux S-Works - 6.64kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

texano999

by texano999

all please help, I am 172 cm tall and i pedal 68,6 with spd pedal...i have aethos 52 with 100 stem and 2 cm under stem

which size to be chosen for my crux 52 or 54? conisdering to be use most of the time offroad

from the website specialized simulation I have got 54 but in this case i would have very short seatpost under saddle!

thanks in advance

gSporco

by gSporco

texano999 wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:18 pm
all please help, I am 172 cm tall and i pedal 68,6 with spd pedal...i have aethos 52 with 100 stem and 2 cm under stem

which size to be chosen for my crux 52 or 54? conisdering to be use most of the time offroad

from the website specialized simulation I have got 54 but in this case i would have very short seatpost under saddle!

thanks in advance
Im 170cm and ride a 69.5cm saddle height on my 52cm Aethos.. A 54 Crux would be pretty darn long and tour seatpost exposure would be minimal.. At my height I was looking at 52 or 49cm Crux...

A 49cm Crux nearly has identical Geo to the 52cm Aethos.. But specialized designed the Crux to be ridden with a 10cm shorter stem than your same sized Aethos or Tarmac..

For example 52 Aethos with 100mm stem would convert to a 52 Crux with an 90mm stem..

Make sense..
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos - Evolving build
State All Road 6061 - Another Gravel build...
Retired Cervelo Aspero

texano999

by texano999

gSporco wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:14 pm
texano999 wrote:

thanks in advance
Im 170cm and ride a 69.5cm saddle height on my 52cm Aethos.. A 54 Crux would be pretty darn long and tour seatpost exposure would be minimal.. At my height I was looking at 52 or 49cm Crux...

A 49cm Crux nearly has identical Geo to the 52cm Aethos.. But specialized designed the Crux to be ridden with a 10cm shorter stem than your same sized Aethos or Tarmac..

For example 52 Aethos with 100mm stem would convert to a 52 Crux with an 90mm stem..

Make sense..
i agree with you for an use on road but for off oroad i think we need to think about a different geometry with front higher and shorter, isnt'it

gSporco

by gSporco

texano999 wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:36 am
gSporco wrote:
texano999 wrote:

thanks in advance

Make sense..
i agree with you for an use on road but for off oroad i think we need to think about a different geometry with front higher and shorter, isnt'it
So if Specialized would want you riding a different size then they would adjust the geometry and label it differently.. All I am saying is if you were properly fit to an Aethos you should buy the same size in the Crux.. Going smaller is okay, but going bigger never provides much benefit
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos - Evolving build
State All Road 6061 - Another Gravel build...
Retired Cervelo Aspero

Mirco

by Mirco

texano999 wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:36 am
gSporco wrote:
texano999 wrote:

thanks in advance

Make sense..

No, there is no reason for a different geometry.

ryanw

by ryanw

I'll let you know how I get on sizing down from a 56 to a 54 at 183cm.

Looking at the geo charts, the new Crux is certainly a big bike, especially when a 56 is bigger than a Large UPPER, which as I've already said, found to be slightly too long as it is.

Off-road bikes should really have shorter stems (compared to Road) for agile and fast handling, a long wheelbase will make for a more stable ride on the descents and rough stuff, but there's obviously limits to this.
'22 SL7 S-Works - 6.22kg

Karvalo

by Karvalo

ryanw wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:27 am
Looking at the geo charts, the new Crux is certainly a big bike,
Depends how you view its use really. It's a bit big for a race bike, a bit small for an adventure bike. Compare it to the new Checkpoint and each size of Crux maps fairly well to one size smaller Trek. Eg a 54 Checkpoint is 7mm lower and 6mm longer than a 56 Crux.

Personally I ride a 54cm Stigmata with a 100mm stem and wish the frame was longer so I'd fit nicely with an 80mm. The stack and reach of the 56 Crux are almost exactly my desired gnarly gravel dimensions, even though it'd be the biggest sticker sized frame I've ever had (unfortunately then the seattube gets a little longer and slacker too). But I genuinely think desired positions and riding styles are so different off road that you could be looking at a 3 size spread between people of the same height/leg.

ryanw

by ryanw

Agree on that last statement, three sizes will fit, but each size would have its own riding characteristics, and it's down to the rider to decide which are their desired / most appealing characteristics (frame size) for them.
'22 SL7 S-Works - 6.22kg

texano999

by texano999

Karvalo wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:55 am
ryanw wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:27 am
Looking at the geo charts, the new Crux is certainly a big bike,
Depends how you view its use really. It's a bit big for a race bike, a bit small for an adventure bike. Compare it to the new Checkpoint and each size of Crux maps fairly well to one size smaller Trek. Eg a 54 Checkpoint is 7mm lower and 6mm longer than a 56 Crux.

Personally I ride a 54cm Stigmata with a 100mm stem and wish the frame was longer so I'd fit nicely with an 80mm. The stack and reach of the 56 Crux are almost exactly my desired gnarly gravel dimensions, even though it'd be the biggest sticker sized frame I've ever had (unfortunately then the seattube gets a little longer and slacker too). But I genuinely think desired positions and riding styles are so different off road that you could be looking at a 3 size spread between people of the same height/leg.
exactly ...based on my calculation with crux size 52 i would be with 3 cm under stem and 90 cm stem lenght, with 54 i get exactly the same with 2 cm under stem and 80 stem...so what would be better? teorically the 54 but i would have in this case very short seat post...this is why i would go for 52

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

Another sizing question. I want to downsize my stable and sell my Boone and Checkpoint to pick up a Crux (I'll be a certified Specialized fanboy if I do). I'm deciding between a 58 and 56. I'm 188cm tall with a 92cm inseam so long legs for my height. Saddle height is 810mm. The Boone and Checkpoint are both 58s with 110mm stems. I'm also riding a 58 Tarmac with a 120mm stem (Alpinist cockpit). My use will be mainly as my CX race bike to replace the Boone. It will be a race bike first and foremost. The added benefit will be to replace the Checkpoint as well in the off-season for fun rides and races.

With this in mind, does sizing down to a 56 make sense? Will it be too small? All my bikes are 58s so I'm hesitant sizing down but looking at the numbers it's hard to say.

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

Posted a question on Reddit about how the Crux fared as a CX race bike with the geo changes. And somebody mentioned that he's heard of a lot of racers cracking frames. Has anybody else heard of any Crux frames breaking or cracking from seemingly normal use?
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Trek Boone RSL
Trek Checkpoint ALR
Canyon Neuron AL

rjich

by rjich

BikeTyson wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:53 am
Another sizing question. I want to downsize my stable and sell my Boone and Checkpoint to pick up a Crux (I'll be a certified Specialized fanboy if I do). I'm deciding between a 58 and 56. I'm 188cm tall with a 92cm inseam so long legs for my height. Saddle height is 810mm. The Boone and Checkpoint are both 58s with 110mm stems. I'm also riding a 58 Tarmac with a 120mm stem (Alpinist cockpit). My use will be mainly as my CX race bike to replace the Boone. It will be a race bike first and foremost. The added benefit will be to replace the Checkpoint as well in the off-season for fun rides and races.

With this in mind, does sizing down to a 56 make sense? Will it be too small? All my bikes are 58s so I'm hesitant sizing down but looking at the numbers it's hard to say.
I ride the 56cm at 185cm. I use a 80mm stem and 780mm seat height. it may work out for you with higher seat, longer stem (I haven't slammed the steerer at all either) Best to sit on one if at all possible!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rjich

by rjich

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:41 pm
Posted a question on Reddit about how the Crux fared as a CX race bike with the geo changes. And somebody mentioned that he's heard of a lot of racers cracking frames. Has anybody else heard of any Crux frames breaking or cracking from seemingly normal use?

It's so hard to guage feedback online, but i'd be interested to hear any real anicdotes with some detail and feedback, photos etc.
The frame has a guarentee for any breakages i believe. Mine just survived being shipped in my evoc bike case from Lon > Paris ( where it was lost a few days whilst being bounced between planes) > New York without snapping in half, so it is therefore indestructible!