Suspension corrected Gravel bikes?

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Post Reply
Cattiy
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:08 pm

by Cattiy

I really like the Canyon Grizl suspension model. But oh the colorways and groupsets...not to mention the Pressfit Bottom bracket.

Now I wonder if there are any other suspension corrected Gravel bikes like the Grizl. Besides the headset I also like the Trek Checkpoint but it is not suspension corrected.

Any other bikes you are aware of?

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



CampagYOLO
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu May 06, 2021 3:58 pm

by CampagYOLO

Lauf True Grit. Several different colours available and like the Canyon good value for money.

bikewithnoname
Posts: 1650
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:29 pm
Location: Paris

by bikewithnoname

Topstone

Or buy a hardtail
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

expatscot
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:20 pm

by expatscot

Lauf. Simple and effective.
Look 695 aerolight
Boardman TTE
Brompton S2 LX titanium custom
Trek 5500 1994
Boardman CXR9.8
Open UPPER - in progress

and lots of non- WW others.

rothwem
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:45 pm
Location: Asheville, NC

by rothwem

bikewithnoname wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:42 pm
Or buy a hardtail
I have a weird temptation to do something like this. An Epic HT with drop bars would still be pretty darn light if I used a Stepcast 32 or a SID SL. Luckily I don't have the funds to do this :lol:

CampagYOLO
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu May 06, 2021 3:58 pm

by CampagYOLO

An alternate would be to buy any gravel bike and fit a Redshift stem and seatpost. It'll be lighter and cheaper than a gravel bike with suspension forks. For anything more gnarly than this then I'd be tempted to recommend a hardtail MTB.

Cattiy
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:08 pm

by Cattiy

rothwem wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:26 pm
bikewithnoname wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:42 pm
Or buy a hardtail
I have a weird temptation to do something like this. An Epic HT with drop bars would still be pretty darn light if I used a Stepcast 32 or a SID SL. Luckily I don't have the funds to do this :lol:
In fact I have a newest Generation Epic HT maxed out with XTR and carbon wheels of 1300 g, which I realy love, but I cannot get used to a flat bar. Although I already use an Answer 20/20 bar. In fact i weighs much less than a comparable Grizl SLX.

https://granfondo-cycling.com/de/speci ... 2020-test/
If the handling would be fine, I would be tempested to try it. But the switch to SRAM Eagle from XTR will cost at least 1900 € :shock:
Last edited by Cattiy on Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cattiy
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:08 pm

by Cattiy

CampagYOLO wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:34 pm
An alternate would be to buy any gravel bike and fit a Redshift stem and seatpost. It'll be lighter and cheaper than a gravel bike with suspension forks. For anything more gnarly than this then I'd be tempted to recommend a hardtail MTB.
I need something with a lockout. Otherwise I know I will be unlucky.

rothwem
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:45 pm
Location: Asheville, NC

by rothwem

Cattiy wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:57 am
rothwem wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:26 pm
bikewithnoname wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:42 pm
Or buy a hardtail
I have a weird temptation to do something like this. An Epic HT with drop bars would still be pretty darn light if I used a Stepcast 32 or a SID SL. Luckily I don't have the funds to do this :lol:
In fact I have a newest Generation Epic HT maxed out with XTR and carbon wheels of 1300 g, which I realy love, but I cannot get used to a flat bar. Although I already use an Answer 20/20 bar. In fact i weighs much less than a comparable Grizl SLX.

https://granfondo-cycling.com/de/speci ... 2020-test/
If the handling would be fine, I would be tempested to try it. But the switch to SRAM Eagle from XTR will cost at least 1900 € :shock:
Yeah, and personally, I'd want to drop down a frame size so I wouldn't need a crazy short 40mm stem. My 58cm gravel/CX bike has a 597 stack and and a 395 reach, and I use a 110mm stem. If I went with a L instead of an XL frame like I would normally get, I could get a 622/455 stack/reach, so I could probably make do with a 60mm -17 stem and normal drop bars. I might even try a medium to lower the stack down to 608mm, though I'm not sure I could get enough leg extension with a normal seatpost on a bike that small.

ricerocket
Posts: 518
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:38 am

by ricerocket

CampagYOLO wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:34 pm
An alternate would be to buy any gravel bike and fit a Redshift stem and seatpost. It'll be lighter and cheaper than a gravel bike with suspension forks. For anything more gnarly than this then I'd be tempted to recommend a hardtail MTB.
Suspension is for improving tire contact as much as it is about smoothing vibrations.

Redshift is fine as an aftermarket product, but the fact that Specialized sells floaty cockpits on their Diverge as an alternative to suspension is cringey.

andrewbn42
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:32 pm

by andrewbn42

The otso waheela c is suspension corrected.

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



Post Reply