New Cervelo Áspero Gravel bike

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Post Reply
User avatar
LeDuke
Posts: 1715
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:39 am
Location: Front Range, CO

by LeDuke

maquisard wrote:Congratulations on the birth of your child!
Thanks!

He’s “watched” the last hour of every TDF stage since the second rest day. Already planning some upgrades to a future Strider bike.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie


gSporco
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:58 am

by gSporco

Well done LeDuke and congratulations on the birth of your first child!

woodyvalentine
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:40 pm

by woodyvalentine

gSporco wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:06 pm
Update.

For those of you planning to buy a 2021 Aspero Frameset you get some extra goodies in the box:

1. Cervelo Bento Top Bag
2. Cervelo SP Carbon Seatpost (48-51 0* Offset 54+ 20* Offset) my 0* off set weighs 176g and could be made lighter with titanium bolts and probably cutting a bit off if you don’t need all the length
3. You get an alternative Seatpost clamp kit with gives you an option to mount accessories of the back of the seat post
4. Some plastic tray that has bolt that match water bottle bolt pattern that I have no idea what it is or what it does :)

lasty, the Black and gold frame actually weighs less than the green in teal of the smaller size by 50 grams with the rubber protectors.. So the Black frame in 51cm is 100 grams lighter than the green 48 frame with both frames having the rubber protectors removed.
Do you have a manual or screenshots or a link for the seatpost offset sizes?

I ordered a 54cm frameset and got a 0 offset seatpost. Not too mad about it.

I also ordered a 54cm Caledonia 5 frameset and knew for certain this was going to be a 20 offset seatpost which it did.

But seeing as how the reach is longer on the Aspero I don't mind the 0 on it. But I still think it was supposed to come with the 20 like you stated and then cervelo just included the wrong post.

Going to run a 110mm stem on the Caledonia 5 with 40cm bars with the 20 offset post.

Going to run 100mm stem on 42cm bars on the Aspero with the 0 offset post.

Also FYI the cervelo alloy stem uses a new mount that is used on the Caledonia as well that is kind of like BLENDR/barfly - stem model ST-A027.

gSporco
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:58 am

by gSporco

woodyvalentine wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:52 pm
gSporco wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:06 pm
Update.

For those of you planning to buy a 2021 Aspero Frameset you get some extra goodies in the box:

1. Cervelo Bento Top Bag
2. Cervelo SP Carbon Seatpost (48-51 0* Offset 54+ 20* Offset) my 0* off set weighs 176g and could be made lighter with titanium bolts and probably cutting a bit off if you don’t need all the length
3. You get an alternative Seatpost clamp kit with gives you an option to mount accessories of the back of the seat post
4. Some plastic tray that has bolt that match water bottle bolt pattern that I have no idea what it is or what it does :)

lasty, the Black and gold frame actually weighs less than the green in teal of the smaller size by 50 grams with the rubber protectors.. So the Black frame in 51cm is 100 grams lighter than the green 48 frame with both frames having the rubber protectors removed.
Do you have a manual or screenshots or a link for the seatpost offset sizes?

I ordered a 54cm frameset and got a 0 offset seatpost. Not too mad about it.

I also ordered a 54cm Caledonia 5 frameset and knew for certain this was going to be a 20 offset seatpost which it did.

But seeing as how the reach is longer on the Aspero I don't mind the 0 on it. But I still think it was supposed to come with the 20 like you stated and then cervelo just included the wrong post.

Going to run a 110mm stem on the Caledonia 5 with 40cm bars with the 20 offset post.

Going to run 100mm stem on 42cm bars on the Aspero with the 0 offset post.

Also FYI the cervelo alloy stem uses a new mount that is used on the Caledonia as well that is kind of like BLENDR/barfly - stem model ST-A027.
No I don't but I think excel sports where i bought the frame stated in the description online that the 54+ comes with 20 offset and 0 for 51 and 48 frames.

Im curious to know why you chose the Caledonia since you own an Aspero? I ask because i want a dedicated race bike and am looking at the S5 or R5.

If I didn't need over 38mm tires for some of my rides my 2 bikes would be a Caledonia and an S5 if I didn't have the Aspero

woodyvalentine
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:40 pm

by woodyvalentine

gSporco wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:21 am
woodyvalentine wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:52 pm
gSporco wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:06 pm
Update.
Do you have a manual or screenshots or a link for the seatpost offset sizes?

I ordered a 54cm frameset and got a 0 offset seatpost. Not too mad about it.

I also ordered a 54cm Caledonia 5 frameset and knew for certain this was going to be a 20 offset seatpost which it did.

But seeing as how the reach is longer on the Aspero I don't mind the 0 on it. But I still think it was supposed to come with the 20 like you stated and then cervelo just included the wrong post.

Going to run a 110mm stem on the Caledonia 5 with 40cm bars with the 20 offset post.

Going to run 100mm stem on 42cm bars on the Aspero with the 0 offset post.

Also FYI the cervelo alloy stem uses a new mount that is used on the Caledonia as well that is kind of like BLENDR/barfly - stem model ST-A027.
No I don't but I think excel sports where i bought the frame stated in the description online that the 54+ comes with 20 offset and 0 for 51 and 48 frames.

Im curious to know why you chose the Caledonia since you own an Aspero? I ask because i want a dedicated race bike and am looking at the S5 or R5.

If I didn't need over 38mm tires for some of my rides my 2 bikes would be a Caledonia and an S5 if I didn't have the Aspero
Haven't ridden either yet - still building. But basically the Aspero is going to be set up off-road. Caledonia on road. Caledonia geo isn't that much of a lazy sleeper. I'm going to run it slammed. It's also a -9* stem. It doesn't have iso shock crap like a roubaix or domane. I personally don't like the S5 cockpit so wouldn't buy that. And the R5 is out of date and is likely getting updated next year. Hence choosing Caledonia 5. I wanted internal cables at the cockpit. It's basically an all road kind of bike. Still kind of aero and light. To me it's pretty similar to an R5 aside of the geo and clearance tweaks. The next R5 in my mind would take the Caledonia and then use the same steerer tube type, same stem, and then tweak the geo/carbon layup to make it lighter and more racey. I don't see it overall being much different though. And the S5 cockpit is just bad. Not a fan of the fork type either. If they can take that, use the same steerer type from the Caledonia too, then I'd be considering it. Plus, as the other thread has shown the S5 frame design causes problems if you crash or over rotate the bars. Any-who, I am pro internal/hidden cable cockpit via a D shaped fork like the Caledonia, anti S5 cockpit, and using Aspero as off-road and Caledonia on road.

gSporco
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:58 am

by gSporco

woodyvalentine wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:42 am
gSporco wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:21 am
woodyvalentine wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:52 pm
gSporco wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:06 pm
Update.
Do you have a manual or screenshots or a link for the seatpost offset sizes?

I ordered a 54cm frameset and got a 0 offset seatpost. Not too mad about it.

I also ordered a 54cm Caledonia 5 frameset and knew for certain this was going to be a 20 offset seatpost which it did.

But seeing as how the reach is longer on the Aspero I don't mind the 0 on it. But I still think it was supposed to come with the 20 like you stated and then cervelo just included the wrong post.

Going to run a 110mm stem on the Caledonia 5 with 40cm bars with the 20 offset post.

Going to run 100mm stem on 42cm bars on the Aspero with the 0 offset post.

Also FYI the cervelo alloy stem uses a new mount that is used on the Caledonia as well that is kind of like BLENDR/barfly - stem model ST-A027.
No I don't but I think excel sports where i bought the frame stated in the description online that the 54+ comes with 20 offset and 0 for 51 and 48 frames.

Im curious to know why you chose the Caledonia since you own an Aspero? I ask because i want a dedicated race bike and am looking at the S5 or R5.

If I didn't need over 38mm tires for some of my rides my 2 bikes would be a Caledonia and an S5 if I didn't have the Aspero
Haven't ridden either yet - still building. But basically the Aspero is going to be set up off-road. Caledonia on road. Caledonia geo isn't that much of a lazy sleeper. I'm going to run it slammed. It's also a -9* stem. It doesn't have iso shock crap like a roubaix or domane. I personally don't like the S5 cockpit so wouldn't buy that. And the R5 is out of date and is likely getting updated next year. Hence choosing Caledonia 5. I wanted internal cables at the cockpit. It's basically an all road kind of bike. Still kind of aero and light. To me it's pretty similar to an R5 aside of the geo and clearance tweaks. The next R5 in my mind would take the Caledonia and then use the same steerer tube type, same stem, and then tweak the geo/carbon layup to make it lighter and more racey. I don't see it overall being much different though. And the S5 cockpit is just bad. Not a fan of the fork type either. If they can take that, use the same steerer type from the Caledonia too, then I'd be considering it. Plus, as the other thread has shown the S5 frame design causes problems if you crash or over rotate the bars. Any-who, I am pro internal/hidden cable cockpit via a D shaped fork like the Caledonia, anti S5 cockpit, and using Aspero as off-road and Caledonia on road.
Dont get me wrong the Caledonia is a beauty and I would love one. It pretty much checks all the boxes. As you buid her up can you post the weight? Im curious what the frame and fork weigh compared to the Aspero also If you coud twat out or measure wht the biggest tire size that fits it? Some reviews are saying 36mm with some room to spare.

Yes the S5 cockpit is a big fail to many things could/will go wrong.

Im a sucker for internal cables as well :)

woodyvalentine
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:40 pm

by woodyvalentine

I don't have any accurate scales. I'm not a true weight weenie! Just my human body scale. I can get a full weight when it's built using my shops scale. I have them both in progress and should be built within a week or two as parts arrive.

gSporco
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:58 am

by gSporco

woodyvalentine wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:14 am
I don't have any accurate scales. I'm not a true weight weenie! Just my human body scale. I can get a full weight when it's built using my shops scale. I have them both in progress and should be built within a week or two as parts arrive.
Great and post pictures ofnthise beauties!

User avatar
LeDuke
Posts: 1715
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:39 am
Location: Front Range, CO

by LeDuke

Does anyone know if the stock Alex Boondocks 7D wheels are tubeless compatible?

Ah. Found the answer to my own question. Yes, they are TLR. Just have to add tape, valve, sealant and TLR tire.

https://alexrims.com/products/boondocks-7d/

"The Boondocks 7D are fast rolling, tubeless ready and budget friendly wheelset."

"Designed disc only for latest gravel and cross bikes | Tubeless ready design"

kervelo
Posts: 396
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:58 am
Location: Finland

by kervelo

Visqu wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:52 pm
VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:40 pm
Visqu wrote:
IrrelevantD wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:36 pm


No pictures.
Edited, my bad.
That’s a nice crank setup. Did you weigh it by any chance?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sure, the cranks alone:

Image

Cranks + Quarq-spider and 44t chainring:

Image
Apart from the weight difference, are there any other differences between the Quarq DUB crank and the cheaper Sram Force DUB crank?

What DUB bottom bracket did you use in your build?

Visqu
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:19 pm

by Visqu

kervelo wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:40 pm
Visqu wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:52 pm

Cranks + Quarq-spider and 44t chainring:
Apart from the weight difference, are there any other differences between the Quarq DUB crank and the cheaper Sram Force DUB crank?

What DUB bottom bracket did you use in your build?
No idea about your first question, sorry.
I built the bike up with the SRAM's regular DUB-bb for BBRight: https://r2-bike.com/SRAM-Bottom-Bracket ... mm-BBRight

gSporco
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:58 am

by gSporco

kervelo wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:40 pm

Apart from the weight difference, are there any other differences between the Quarq DUB crank and the cheaper Sram Force DUB crank?

What DUB bottom bracket did you use in your build?

The Force, Red and Quarq DUB cranks are all the same apart from weight and material build. The Quarq is a rebadged Red. All the CR options will fit each one interchangeable

As for BB most here are using the wheels manufacturing thread together. I am using BBinfinite and absolutely love it

kervelo
Posts: 396
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:58 am
Location: Finland

by kervelo

Thanks @gSporco and @Visqu.

Hogesyx
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:00 pm

by Hogesyx

kervelo wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:20 pm
Thanks @gSporco and @Visqu.
Quarq carbon crank are definately Reds, they all share the same 8 bolt directmount.

Main difference is that Red version of quarq only comes with hidden bolt version. Where as it is possible to order Quarq dzero crankset with non hidden bolt.

30mm spindles version has stop production I think, but you can still find them online.

by Weenie


Visqu
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:19 pm

by Visqu

Hogesyx wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:07 am
kervelo wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:20 pm
Thanks @gSporco and @Visqu.
Quarq carbon crank are definately Reds, they all share the same 8 bolt directmount.

Main difference is that Red version of quarq only comes with hidden bolt version. Where as it is possible to order Quarq dzero crankset with non hidden bolt.

30mm spindles version has stop production I think, but you can still find them online.

You're talking about the old pre-AXS cranks here and of those cranks, the Quarq SRAM Red, or Quarq Carbon, were actually Force-cranks with the 8-bolt interface.
The "real" Red cranks did not have a removable spider.

Being hidden bolt or not is also a feature of the spider and all 8-bolt spiders are compatible with any of the 8-bolt cranks regardless of the bb- / axle standard.

Back to Aspero and BB bearing choice.
In my opinion, the stock SRAM bearing for DUB is the rational choice.
Being WW after all, it is lighter than any of those fancy 3rd party bearings, way cheaper as well.
Also, there is really no incentive to go for thread together or one-piece stuff on the Aspero, in case you haven't looked, the Aspero BB is a solid-walled carbon tube.
In other words, it's already a one-piece design thus issues with bearing concentricity should be non-existent.

Post Reply