Hakka vs. Epic HT

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

grnrcr

by grnrcr

I have a road bike I enjoy riding so don't really need a do-it-all type of bike. However, to get from my house to dirt, I have to deal with 30-40 mins of city streets and hills (San Francisco). I quite like the Ibis Hakka with 650b tires but I have also heard great things about the new Spesh Epic HT. My fear is getting the Hakka then wonder how much more capability could I get from the Epic. On the flip side, am I gonna get the Epic and hate the mandatory pavement climbs on my rides?

Anyone with thoughts to share? TY

flashpunk

by flashpunk

IMHO a hard tail is more versatile than a gravel bike in that it can cover anything you’d want to ride on a gravel bike, but depending on your skill level can get pretty gnarly too.

Good news is, either bike you choose will be awesome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

by Weenie

zmjones

by zmjones

grnrcr wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:14 pm
I have a road bike I enjoy riding so don't really need a do-it-all type of bike. However, to get from my house to dirt, I have to deal with 30-40 mins of city streets and hills (San Francisco). I quite like the Ibis Hakka with 650b tires but I have also heard great things about the new Spesh Epic HT. My fear is getting the Hakka then wonder how much more capability could I get from the Epic. On the flip side, am I gonna get the Epic and hate the mandatory pavement climbs on my rides?

the climbs won't be the annoying part of having a ht, it will be your flat speed and long distance comfort. you are just a lot less aero, and have relatively fewer positions for your hands. so depends on what you think will bother you the most. i find going slowly to the dirt much more frustrating, but i have a lot further to go in seattle. like 2ish hours. have also thought about putting clip on aero bars on a xc bike. anything to avoid driving.

Js2

by Js2

Hardtail with some fast rolling xc tires will roll pretty good on tarmac and dirt road. The only issue is it will wear out faster, but that can be said for dedicated knobbly gravel tires too.

I think the epic ht can be built super light too. Will not be as efficient as the hakka on the tarmac and smooth dirt road, but you can do more on the trails, especially if you put a dropper. Hakka might be a better choice if you want it to double duty as winter bike, commuter (fenders) and light bikepacking.

ms6073

by ms6073

grnrcr wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:14 pm
So as someone who only visits SF every couple of years and typically hikes instead of rides, I have typically only seen commuters with mtb's. My thoughts would lean towards the Hakka as I would have loved to have been able to ride across the Golden Gate and around to Sausolito or Stinson Beach and then back home when were in town when things were still normal back in January.
Michael - The Anaerobic Threshold is neither...

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Why not something in the middle like the new 3T Exploro Max gravel bike? It takes 650B tires up to 61mm and looks super cool.
2018 Bianchi Oltre XR4, (Celeste Matt)
2018 De Rosa SK Pininfarina (Blu)
2019 Trek Madone SLR (Rage Red)
2019 Giant TCR Advanced SL (Chameleon Blue)
2019 Cervelo R5 Disk (Team Sunweb)
2019 Giant Revolt Advanced 0

saldegracia

by saldegracia

I think the main question here is the kind of terrain you ride in the dirt. If it's all single-trail and fairly technical I'd go with the Epic as you have front suspension and better control through the wide handlebars. I don't think a 650B Gravel bike will roll any faster on tarmac but (depending on the handlarbars you use) you can be more aero. It's probably a little lighter too but I would ignore that if the main goal of the ride (and source of fun) is riding in technical terrain.

If you dirt riding is more dirt tracks and less technical terrain then definitely go with the gravel bike. That's exactly what I use mine for. I live in the center of a big city and, depending on where I am going, have to ride on tarmac for longer or shorter portions of the ride. That's more manageable on the gravel bike and when I ride on dirt I ride on dirt roads and paths that don't really require suspension or a 80cm handlebar. And if there is a more tricky section I just slow down a little, like in the old days with a rigid MTB...but I don't actively look for the gnarly downhills.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Saldegracia speaks the truth. I'd focus on what the terrain is like off the road rather than worry about the road section, If it's all steep rock gardens and technical singletrack you will likely lose teeth on a gravel bike, if it's fire roads and double track then the gravel bike is better suited.

I've seen plenty of guys on gravel bikes running out of skill on single tracks that you'd basically float down on a HT, and plenty of guys on HT or FS getting left for dead on the flat wide sections, it really is horses for courses.
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

Pegoretti, Parlee, Donhou, Various others

stoney

by stoney

Go with the Epic Hardtail and if most of your riding is gravel/tarmac put some 40mm Continental Terra Speeds on the wheels or you can put the fastest test MTB tire the Continental Protection Race Kings on. The Race Kings roll as fast as the majority of gravel tires. Check out bicyclerollingresistance.com.

by Weenie