Chinese Open Mold Gravel / CX Bikes

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jever98

by jever98

I paid a little under $900 shipped to the US. The expensive part were the decals - I had quite a few custom decals made. The raw frame is a lot cheaper.
----
No longer in the industry

by Weenie

ItaliaNewbie

by ItaliaNewbie

jever98 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:29 pm
I paid a little under $900 shipped to the US. The expensive part were the decals - I had quite a few custom decals made. The raw frame is a lot cheaper.
Thank you!

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

Hahaha I think Honsebikes may just have taken my money and made a quick run for it :D :D
After I did my payment, the last thing I heard was that the handlebar was out of stock and would be finished in 3 days and then shipped, this was on the 19th of May.

Since then, I sent 5 emails and no replies. Or are there any Chinese holidays going on that I am not aware of?

Good thing I paid with Paypal... in case this would end badly :(

For 5 months have I tried to get a GR039 frame, how frikkin difficult can it be

Lindenbaum

by Lindenbaum

eucalyptus wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:04 pm
Hahaha I think Honsebikes may just have taken my money and made a quick run for it :D :D
After I did my payment, the last thing I heard was that the handlebar was out of stock and would be finished in 3 days and then shipped, this was on the 19th of May.

Since then, I sent 5 emails and no replies. Or are there any Chinese holidays going on that I am not aware of?

The same thing is happening to me as well. When I asked about the frame, Leo told me that he has it in stock. He was very quick to send the invoice and request the payment. I paid through Paypal and after two weeks, he still didn't ship it. I asked to refund but he has not replied to me since then. I opened the dispute on Paypal, but I am not sure how it will turn out. I thought that Honsebike is one of reliable Chinese carbon sellers. I don't understand why he is doing this, tarnishing hardly earned reputation. :(

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

Lindenbaum wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:16 pm
eucalyptus wrote:

The same thing is happening to me as well. When I asked about the frame, Leo told me that he has it in stock. He was very quick to send the invoice and request the payment. I paid through Paypal and after two weeks, he still didn't ship it. I asked to refund but he has not replied to me since then. I opened the dispute on Paypal, but I am not sure how it will turn out. I thought that Honsebike is one of reliable Chinese carbon sellers. I don't understand why he is doing this, tarnishing hardly earned reputation. :(
Oh wow... good thing I am not alone then. What a fokkin shit way to act tbh. Sending me an invoice took him 5 minutes, then he disappeared.

I have opened a case on Paypal too after seeing your reply. Although, it is an open case until 24th of June..................... At least Leo will have Paypal trying to reach him now

Lindenbaum

by Lindenbaum

eucalyptus wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:30 pm
Lindenbaum wrote:
eucalyptus wrote:

Oh wow... good thing I am not alone then. What a fokkin shit way to act tbh. Sending me an invoice took him 5 minutes, then he disappeared.

I have opened a case on Paypal too after seeing your reply. Although, it is an open case until 24th of June..................... At least Leo will have Paypal trying to reach him now
Hmm, from my previous experience, Paypal is just sending messages to sellers until we escalate the case to a claim. You should not wait until June 24th, because if you don't escalate the case, it will be automatically closed which means that you can't open the case again. I will escalate the case to a claim if Leo doesn't respond to me by tomorrow.

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

Lindenbaum wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:14 am
eucalyptus wrote:
Lindenbaum wrote:
eucalyptus wrote:

Hmm, from my previous experience, Paypal is just sending messages to sellers until we escalate the case to a claim. You should not wait until June 24th, because if you don't escalate the case, it will be automatically closed which means that you can't open the case again. I will escalate the case to a claim if Leo doesn't respond to me by tomorrow.
Thanks for the heads up! I will certainly do so :)
So sad it has to be like this. And now then, where do we find a frame? :(

ms6073

by ms6073

Lindenbaum wrote:
I thought that Honsebike is one of reliable Chinese carbon sellers.
Literally never hear of Honsebike until it was mentioned in this thread. Keep in mind that most of the companies mentioned in threads like this are simply sales outlets (wholesalers/exporters) and while they represent a variety of manufacturers, they rarely manufacture anything! The following is a partial list of vendors mentioned in this thread that most have typically repported good customer service and reliable products.

• Carbonda
• Dengu Fu Bikes
• Farsports
• Fly Cycles
• HongFu Bikes
• Light Bicycles
• TanTan
• Workswell

*Edited to add Carbonda
Last edited by ms6073 on Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Michael - The Anaerobic Threshold is neither...

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

Lindenbaum wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:14 am
eucalyptus wrote:
Lindenbaum wrote:
eucalyptus wrote:

I have escalated my case now. Please post in this thread if you hear anything from either Paypal or "Leo"... :beerchug:
Sent him several emails including one yesterday, I certainly get the feeling of a scammer unless something major happened. Would be fun to test and use a second email and see if he answers if you act "interested" to buy

Velojonathan

by Velojonathan

When I was talking to Tantan about the gr039 they said the moulds and layup had not been completed for the new BSA model. So I found it odd there was some place that had it in stock.

I meant to ask about this earlier on the forum and raise the alarm about this but got distracted with other things. On a slightly humerous note, the honsen website legit says "we are a responsible company". 🤦‍♂️

I hope everyone is able to get their money back, and also to reconsider the gr039. When you look at the geometry it's bottom bracket is as high or higher than a European style cyclocross bike.
It's ideal for pedaling on offcamber grass turns and bunnyhopping barriers, but not so much for fast loose gravel descents or pounding out the miles on unstable terrain.

Gr039 is a cool looking bike but it's really just some old euro cyclocross bike.

halcyongolf

by halcyongolf

When I decided to buy a gravel bike, I went through the list of reputable Chinese vendors listed above, however in the end it was Carbonda who delivered and I learned a bit through this experience . Most of the reputable vendors listed above are good middlemen. They don't make the frames themselves, but rather rely on outside producers to actually make the frames. They don't seem to hold much physical inventory at any time, and instead rely on their producers to send units as they fulfill existing orders. However, that can lead to some issues and production delays, especially on new products. In my case, I orig. placed an order for a WCB-R-209 and was quoted a two week shipping date as the unit was in "stock", but I wanted a simple single color paint job. However, the unit wasn't physically in stock at Workswell, but I (presume) Workswell was told by their supplier the frame was in stock at the producer-level when I placed my order. Workswell depends on its suppliers to deliver the frame itself, and in my case, there was delay after delay until eventually I cancelled the order about 2 months into the process (with Workswell still lacking physical inventory on the frame). To be fair to Workswell, communication was good throughout the process and they did try to accomodate me with different models, sizes, or BB standards for frames they were getting into stock sooner than the model I had ordered, but the limitations of their business model were apparent.

I then went to Carbonda and selected their 696. Carbonda was very upfront and honest about their product, confirmed they physically had the frame I wanted in stock - really in stock at Carbonda- and ready to ship. Furthermore, I had the bike custom painted with a 2-tone chameleon paint scheme (amazing FYI), and Carbonda got the frame out the door in 10 days. The experience was about as good as you can hope for. Also, their pricing on paint options, and the overall quality of their paint is rather shockingly good. In my case, the order did hit a bit of a snag as they forgot to include the seatpost and then Chinese New Year and Covid caused shipping delays of the replacement part, but overall I couldn't be happier with the experience.

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

Velojonathan wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:28 pm
When I was talking to Tantan about the gr039 they said the moulds and layup had not been completed for the new BSA model. So I found it odd there was some place that had it in stock.

I meant to ask about this earlier on the forum and raise the alarm about this but got distracted with other things. On a slightly humerous note, the honsen website legit says "we are a responsible company". 🤦‍♂️

I hope everyone is able to get their money back, and also to reconsider the gr039. When you look at the geometry it's bottom bracket is as high or higher than a European style cyclocross bike.
It's ideal for pedaling on offcamber grass turns and bunnyhopping barriers, but not so much for fast loose gravel descents or pounding out the miles on unstable terrain.

Gr039 is a cool looking bike but it's really just some old euro cyclocross bike.
What frame would you suggest then that we should look at? :)
I really like the aesthetics of it and integrated cable management. Although I am using etap AXS, I would love to hide the brake hose :P

Hit me with suggestions :D only requirement so far is 12x142 and 12x100 thru-axles.

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

according to TanTan

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

nvm

Velojonathan

by Velojonathan

Well, not sure who the Lisa-cycle person is. I communicate with Tantan through email and I don't know what their affiliation with honsen is. Ultimately it seems this person is saying they have the gr039 in stock and don't so that should be a dealbreaker when you consider the excellent service people are getting from
Carbonda and Tantan.

In terms of alternatives, I think just about any of the Chinese gravel frames with a dropped stay are going to be better. The Carbonda 696, Tantan gr040, gr041, gr030 all have about a 70 mm bb drop and geometry that is within a half a degree or few mm of an open up. Where as the gr039 has a 56mm bb drop on all sizes which is comparable to a Ridley x night sl in size 48cm but even that pure euro cross bike goes to a 64mm drop by the time you get to a 54cm frame.

The internal routing looks cool, and I'm going to use this bike for fast road rides as well as steep gravel fire roads so having the internal routing would have been nice from an aero perspective but I don't think it's worth sacrificing the stability. In retrospect I could have perhaps asked for the internal fork and the headset spacers to set it up this way, but I think my bike is already painted so im just gonna suck it up with external routing.

by Weenie