New Cervelo Áspero Gravel bike

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Peter_E

by Peter_E

I got the EA70 stem on my Apex build instead of the ea50 that it should have so happy with that. No major difference but a little nicer

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

by Weenie

Ooookaaay

by Ooookaaay

IrrelevantD wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:39 am
Ooookaaay wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:07 am
IrrelevantD wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:29 am

WOW, I stand corrected. Did those come with your Áspero?
Yeah, it's for cheap Apex version. Soon I will receive the second Aspero and will see what's tires it have in box.
Was it the 2021 or the 2020? Looking at the specs, it looks like Cervelo did a lot of cost cutting for the 2021 models. The GRX models no now come with the Alex wheels instead of Easton and come with the lower end GRX 600 cranks instead of Easton. Tires similarly are speced with GK "sport" tires that I can't find info on anywhere. I'm assuming they are a non-tubeless OEM version similar to your Donnellys.
It's 2020 SRAM Apex version with Alexrims wheelset and this specs wasn't cutted for "Apex" aspero version. Both of our bikes are equipped with Alexrims which is not on the official website, version 7-D. This is apparently the very bottom segment for the homeless.

Ooookaaay

by Ooookaaay

Peter_E wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:42 am
I got the EA70 stem on my Apex build instead of the ea50 that it should have so happy with that. No major difference but a little nicer

Same here, but I'm gonna change it to uno anyway.

Peter_E

by Peter_E

Finished upgrading I think. Got my Hunt aero carbon disc 30 wheels yesterday. 7.88 kg now. Previous upgrades are s-works carbon seatpost, Specialized Romin saddle, Force cranks with Absolute Black oval 40t and Easton EC70 AX bars.

1sanglier

by 1sanglier

What is your tyre ? Schwable g-one speed ? Which size ? Tubeless ?
Sorry if you always tell us but I don't find where.
Thanks

Peter_E

by Peter_E

1sanglier wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:51 pm
What is your tyre ? Schwable g-one speed ? Which size ? Tubeless ?
Sorry if you always tell us but I don't find where.
Thanks
They are Schwalbe G-One allround 35mm. This is the non-tubeless version that came with some complete bikes (these are from a Scott I believe) and I run them with Tubolito tubes. They are light at around 380 grams I think. Used them fore quite a while and no punctures and I mostly ride quite smooth gravel so they are work well for that. The roll really well but grip is not too bad. I have some G-One 35 TLE, and Panaracer Gravelking SK in 38mm too but running these for now.

1sanglier

by 1sanglier

Thanks. And you prefer G-One or Gravel King. Which one is better for a majority on the road ?
I read that people not happy with Gravel king because of puncture.

Peter_E

by Peter_E

1sanglier wrote:Thanks. And you prefer G-One or Gravel King. Which one is better for a majority on the road ?
The Gravel Kings are SK, forgot to mention that. Have used them in 35mm before and likes them. Light and also roll well. No punctures on those either. No experience with the slick version though.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Peter_E wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:58 pm
1sanglier wrote:Thanks. And you prefer G-One or Gravel King. Which one is better for a majority on the road ?
The Gravel Kings are SK, forgot to mention that. Have used them in 35mm before and likes them. Light and also roll well. No punctures on those either. No experience with the slick version though.

I'm running 32c GK slicks on one of my sets of wheels. They're a decent all condition tire, good grip in the wet, roll well, don't seem to be puncture prone. I've taken them on really fine gravel and crushed granite and they work good. Would be perfectly suitable for anything where you don't need a skinny race tire or knobbies. I'm using them primarilly for rainy days and comuting.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Still going back and forth on building up a set of superlight 650b wheels with hookless, shallow rims, with ~48-50mm tires or a set of 700c wheels with tubeless clincher rims that could be used with both ~30mm tires for pavement and 40mm+ tires for gravel.

Using the DT Swiss Spoke Calculator, the wheels could be built up at 1267g (650b) or 1449g (700c).

They will be ridden by my 100lb wife. She likes a light bike and hates the way my MTBs feel; she's described them as "ponderous" before. Because of that, I'm thinking she might not like the way a ~50mm tire would feel, even with a super light wheelset.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

I'd be careful running a 50. You get any mud on the tires and you're going to be scraping the chainstays. I've got some nice scratches on mine running 47s after getting a little bit of caked on mud.

As for wheel weight, I honestly thing the 650/47s feel lighter than my 700/40s. Both are built off of shallow MTB wheels. 650s definitely spin up faster, but the 700s maintain momentum better, though they are very different tires tread wise and that could play into it.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

LeDuke wrote: They will be ridden by my 100lb wife. She likes a light bike and hates the way my MTBs feel; she's described them as "ponderous" before. Because of that, I'm thinking she might not like the way a ~50mm tire would feel, even with a super light wheelset.
When I had a lightweight 650b wheelset, I used the Terrene Elwood light casing 47mm and found them to spin up quick and easy. The set always felt light and lovely.

Currently using 700s with a GravelKing Slick in 38mm which is a larger tire overall and although it’s light, it’s not as lively as my previous 650s. Hoping to move to a lighter (sub 1300gr) 700c wheelset to get that liveliness back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sib

by sib

VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:09 pm
Hoping to move to a lighter (sub 1300gr) 700c wheelset to get that liveliness back.
Sounds interesting - what specs do you have in mind for the wheelset?

jemima

by jemima

LeDuke wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:47 pm
Still going back and forth on building up a set of superlight 650b wheels with hookless, shallow rims, with ~48-50mm tires or a set of 700c wheels with tubeless clincher rims that could be used with both ~30mm tires for pavement and 40mm+ tires for gravel.

Using the DT Swiss Spoke Calculator, the wheels could be built up at 1267g (650b) or 1449g (700c).

They will be ridden by my 100lb wife. She likes a light bike and hates the way my MTBs feel; she's described them as "ponderous" before. Because of that, I'm thinking she might not like the way a ~50mm tire would feel, even with a super light wheelset.

Had a 1200/1250gm hookless shallow 650b and 700c built. Once I get over 35mm on the 700c I start to get that ponderous feel.

650b I've switched between 42mm, 48mm, 2.1". Much prefer the feel of those wheel/tyre diameter. Even with one of the lighter knobby 2.1" the rolling weight isn't too bad.

Perhaps a 650b x 42 slick would be an option for her weight/height, as that combo is pretty fast with the right tyre.
Curve Grovel ti.

thefuzzycow

by thefuzzycow

Still bummed out... waiting to get my Aspero. Everything is closed here in Michigan. I was supposed to get a killer deal on one but with all this corona crap, the deal fell through with the shop as they closed... I just want to hit some dirt with it!!!
"moo"
3T Exploro
Specialized CruX
Pivot Trail 429

by Weenie