Custom Chainrings XTR 985

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Anyone have a suggestion for getting a 46T outer ring made for my FCM985 chainset? Currently have a 44/30 and would like to avoid going to a 10 up cassette as they are too wide for my liking.

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joejack951

by joejack951

Anything is possible if you are willing to pay for it. It would really help if you had a couple others to go in on it with you. A one-off won't cost much less than producing 10. If you can find 9 more interested buyers (or even 2-4), I'm happy to take a look at it.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Hahahahaha, just been going through this very issue of trying to find something bigger fro MTB cranks. OTS, the biggest is 44, but did find a Shimano 46T from a Metrea crankset that has the same PCD, but no idea if it will fit (apparently needs some filing, but dunno)

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/chainrings/ ... t/?geoc=AU

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Unfortunately that won’t fit the 985 cranks. They use a unique 88mm bcd. I think I’ll stick with the 44t and convert to XDR.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Looks Shimano are joining the SRAM propriety bandwagon

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

To be fair these are an old 10 speed set that haven’t been in production for a long time, not to mention I’m trying to press them into service in an application they were never designed for.