Gravel Titanium Frame Options

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

DJT21

by DJT21

gb123bike wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:10 pm
NickJHP wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:56 pm
I have a Kinesis Tripster ATR V2...
:thumbup: I like that. It's classy.
2kg frame weight though, I think the V1 had issues with cracking so they had to beef up the V2 version. That's the risk you run with cheap Ti frames though. Better off buying carbon/steel/alu for the same money. I'd only buy a Ti frame if it was from a respected builder with a good warranty, such as Moots, Seven etc.

by Weenie

mikekelly

by mikekelly

I can't compare weights with other brands but I am very satisfied with Davis Carver for custom Titanium. His prices are very competitive and his frames are top notch quality. I need a custom frame and I have had Carver do a fat bike, mtb and now I am waiting for my Gravel bike frame from him. He is easy to work with and communicates well. He gives me custom geometry for a $200 upcharge with a $1399 base price. I can't beat that anywhere else. Most important for me is that he delivers when he promises and that has been less than 90 days for me each time. I have no association, just a satisfied customer.

http://carverbikes.com/frames/ti-all-road/

biwa

by biwa

Speaking of Ti gravel frames, any idea/feedback on how Baum Orbis-X rides? Why it's so much more expensive (50-60% more) than other top-end Ti frames (Firefly, Mosaic, Moots, Seven, etc.)? Is it because of their proprietary butting that produces lighter frames than others?

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

I can't really say why Baum are priced so crazy high, other than that the brand seems to be able sustain itself with such crazy high prices. Same with Moots, Mosaic, and Firefly. Though at least with Moots and Firefly I can see some cool advancements like Moots 3D printed dropouts or Firefly's 3D printed chainstay yokes. Mosaic, I've never quite understood how they sustain a $5600 USD frame with a builder who in the big picture is not really even that experienced. I mean, the guy who taught Aaron Barcheck how to weld, Mike DeSalvo, will sell a custom butted Ti frame for nearly $2000 less than Mosaic.

At some point the entire custom bike process comes down to buyer ego and builder ego and where they overlap is usually the matching pricepoint.

cyclehaul

by cyclehaul

I just got a Planet X Tempest Ti Frame (yesterday) for my gravel build project. It's got room for 46mm tires and the prices for Ti bikes are the lowest I've seen. They claim 1550 g for a medium frame, but I weighed mine, an XL size, at 2004g

MichaelB

by MichaelB

cyclehaul wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:20 am
I just got a Planet X Tempest Ti Frame (yesterday) for my gravel build project. It's got room for 46mm tires and the prices for Ti bikes are the lowest I've seen. They claim 1550 g for a medium frame, but I weighed mine, an XL size, at 2004g
Cool. What kit/spec are you building it up with ?

I'm looking at some of their frames for a replacement for my Cannondale Slate, but still going to fit a Lefty fork as I ride some single track around home.

cyclehaul

by cyclehaul

MichaelB wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:47 pm
cyclehaul wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:20 am
Cool. What kit/spec are you building it up with ?
I'm looking at some of their frames for a replacement for my Cannondale Slate, but still going to fit a Lefty fork as I ride some single track around home.
I bought a Curve GXR Seek carbon fork, and I have Light Bicycle WR35 Falcon 700c rims on order. I'll lace those up with an SP Dynnamo hub up front, and probably a DT Swiss rear hub. I plan to put a Shimano GRX 810 1x groupset on it. The idea is that I get under 9kg for the whole bike. I hope to use this bike for the Transcontinental if I qualify for it.

Will the lefty (30mm travel?) fit on any gravel frame? Would you be better going with a 29er frame? The Slate frame seems pretty light already.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

cyclehaul wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:58 am
Will the lefty (30mm travel?) fit on any gravel frame? Would you be better going with a 29er frame? The Slate frame seems pretty light already.
Depends on the headtube length of the frame it's going on. You can get an adaptor kit top make it fit (Cannondale do a 'Lefty for all' and Project321 also have something similar).

The frame lightness isn't the issue, it's the restrictioon to max 42mm tyre width.

I'd be resing the wheelsets I already have, but don't mind either way, it's just getting the geometry right (mainly TT length) to make it a MonsterCross dropbar.

duende

by duende

What's the criteria or type of riding your after?

Touring? All-rounder? Pavement? What kind of Terrain? Gravel racing or Sporting rides?

So many good frames out there. I personally went for a Mosaic GT-1 because I wanted something with more road geometry than endurance or touring. It's my all-rounder bike and it's equally comfortable on the road rides as it is off road.

I never had any intention of using it to replace a Mountain bike, although I have done some single track on it with no problems. I'm completely fine running 38's for off road.

So think about what your use cases will be and let that direct you.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

So, I'm still waiting to hear back from a seller (actually ywo !) that has a Rewel MTB frame for sale. The original one I was chasing has a 20" NIB frame up fro grabs (waiting on shipping costs) and another popped up last week for a 19" version (which is probably a better size). Damn, I hate waiting when I have money to spend !!!!

I've also started the process of getting some costs for a Custom Ti Frame from Waltly based on the Cannondale Slate geo, but with increased tyre clearance and an 80-100mm travel Lefty. Price has come back at US$920 shipped.

Decisions, decisions.... :noidea:

Option A : New Rewel Ti MTB 20" built for Lefty - reality is it's a tad big. Other negative is 135mm QR rear
Option B : Used Rewel Ti MTB 19" with std sus forks - better size and still 135 QR
Option C : Custom Waltly, 12x142 TA, Lefty headtube and custom Geo - onkly negative is a bit heavier than the Rewel's

All options will similar price (give or take US$150).

Have looked at some other options that people have listed in this thread, but they are out of my budget, and the best option would be a Curve GMX, but that's close to A$4k for frame alone :o

Hmmmmmm :|

petert123

by petert123

Anyone tried or has the Ribble CGR Ti ? Looks like a nice budget frameset.

tsafur

by tsafur

I prefer carbon bikes, but i had to see what the fuss was about, with Titanium frame gravel bikes, so i built one. I still prefer my Open UPPER and 3T Exploro lTD for gravel races.

I got my Lynsky GR-Pro down to 16.5 lbs(7.4 kg) in weight weenie mode. Built up a lightweight carbon wheelset with Carbon Ti sp hubs. I have as much Titanium as I could find.
Cane Creek Tirtanium eewings Crankset with Stages power meter
Carbon-Ti Titranium 40T chainring
Carbon-Ti carbon fiber brake rotor
Carbon-Ti titanium top cap
Titanium Eggbeater pedals
YBN Titanium chain
Lynsky Titanium stem
Lynsky Titanium seat post
Titanium headset spacers
Silca titanium bottle cages
Titanium seat clamp
All bolts for components and accesseries in Titanium

I also used my 100w Fiber Laser to engave the Titanium frame and seatpost.

In rough gravel/ single track mode it weighs 18.75 lbs. Additional weight is Lauf Grit SL fork and Kinekt suspension seatpost and Enve wheels and tires.

After a gravel/offroad ride

Since I don't ride this bike much, I'm in the process of installing Honjo fenders for the winter/spring weather and making it my rainy day bike.

sebejo

by sebejo

So what the fuss is about? Genuinly curios what you say about Ti frames ownig an UPPER as well.
tsafur wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:08 pm
I prefer carbon bikes, but i had to see what the fuss was about, with Titanium frame gravel bikes, so i built one. I still prefer my Open UPPER and 3T Exploro lTD for gravel races.

petert123

by petert123

Got to say the No.22 Drifter X is on my (dream) list.

petert123

by petert123

tsafur wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:08 pm
Wonder if any Open UP(PER) users running them unpainted?

by Weenie