Lightest 700c ~40mm Tubeless Gravel Tire?

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Aeo

by Aeo

mpulsiv wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:42 pm
I tested 38mm GravelKing slicks (320 grams) with Vittoria latex tubes. At 30-35 psi they are OK, but not as supple as I expected.
To answer your question - yes, Compass is worth paying for.
Tubeless is the name of the game! I had the 38 before, then switched to 32. I might try 35 next.
Have you tried the Soma Supple Vitesse? Would be interesting to hear how it compares to Compass & Panaracer.

Here is a table of a lot of gravel tyres incl weight and so on:
http://ridinggravel.com/graveltires/

by Weenie

Stendhal

by Stendhal

Aeo wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:24 am
mpulsiv wrote:
I tested 38mm GravelKing slicks (320 grams) with Vittoria latex tubes. At 30-35 psi they are OK, but not as supple as I expected.
Tubeless is the name of the game! I had the 38 before, then switched to 32. I might try 35 next.
Have you tried the Soma Supple Vitesse? Would be interesting to hear how it compares to Compass & Panaracer.

Thank you, this is a nice table. :welcome:
Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL6 (6.39 kg)
Retired: LOW// mki road, Pinarello Dogma F10 \ F8, Lapierre Pulsium FDJ, TIME Fluidity S, Wilier Cento1 SR, Ridley Noah, Cyfac Cadence, Cervelo S2, R3, R5, Felt Z25, Klein Quantum, Cannondale 2.0

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Aeo wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:24 am
mpulsiv wrote:

I had trouble setting up my 38mm Panaracer tubeless with air compressor. Took it to LBS (Compass authorized dealer) and after numerious attempt, tire finally seated. I wanted to wait 24 hours before injecting Orange Seal and making a mess. At least, that's what folks have been doing when it comes to safety check. Well, it held air for about 10 minutes. Mechanics were actually against setting up Compass tire as tubeless. Due to direct experience, they all ride with tubes. I was quite shocked to hear that! What scared me the most is how air was leaking just but squeezing the tire. Mechanic took the wheel and simply put weight on it to demostarate what could happen when I take a corner. Granted, theres was no sealant. Could the air have escaped if I had sealant? Maybe? Maybe not? Frankly, I decided not to experiment. Installed Vittoria latex tube and stop thinking about the consequences. Now, if someone tells me that sealant will stop the slow air leak, then I'm willing to convert.

No experience with Soma Vitesse. They are not as popular. They are not much cheaper than Compass (now called Rene Herse). I contacted Panaracer and was told that Compass and Soma share tubular casing but custom made based on requirements. I'd imagine that Compass is more supple.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

emotive

by emotive

mpulsiv wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:20 am

I had trouble setting up my 38mm Panaracer tubeless with air compressor.
What brand and model of rims are you using?
Took it to LBS (Compass authorized dealer) and after numerious attempt, tire finally seated. I wanted to wait 24 hours before injecting Orange Seal and making a mess. At least, that's what folks have been doing when it comes to safety check. Well, it held air for about 10 minutes. Mechanics were actually against setting up Compass tire as tubeless. Due to direct experience, they all ride with tubes. I was quite shocked to hear that! What scared me the most is how air was leaking just but squeezing the tire.
I found with both 35mm Extralight Compass and 44mm Extralight Compass that the sidewalls seeped Orange Seal for 2 days before they sealed. I roatated every hour or two to get cgood coverage. Bead sealed very well on Light Bicycle rims, no leakage at the bead, and 8000km total ridden.

Mechanic took the wheel and simply put weight on it to demostarate what could happen when I take a corner. Granted, theres was no sealant. Could the air have escaped if I had sealant? Maybe? Maybe not? Frankly, I decided not to experiment. Installed Vittoria latex tube and stop thinking about the consequences. Now, if someone tells me that sealant will stop the slow air leak, then I'm willing to convert.
I'd imagine that Compass is more supple.
I am currently trying Gravelking slick in 38mm, 2000km ridden so far. Definitely not as supple riding as Compass 35mm extralight or 44mm extralight. Before mounting on wheels, the tread feels very similar between Gravelking and Compass, but the Gravelking sidewall feels much thicker between fingers. Probably a good choice for areas with sharp rocks, but I don't experience them where I ride, so I will switch back to Compass after this set.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

emotive wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:44 am
What brand and model of rims are you using?
Boyd Altamont tubeless with Stan's NoTubes Tubeless Valve Stem and Stan's 21mm Rim Tape
https://boydcycling.com/collections/all ... ront-wheel

Someone posted that Panaracer sidewall is 0.8mm and Compass is 0.5mm, hence it's more supple.
Based on rider's feedback, extralight is marginally supple and ~1 watt faster. I'm leaning toward standard casing now.

They question is - did your LB rim hold air without sealant?
Like I said, my experiment was without sealant. That's the safety check that riders have been doing before adding sealant. This is the reason I didn't add any sealant.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

emotive

by emotive

mpulsiv wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:53 pm

They question is - did your LB rim hold air without sealant?
Like I said, my experiment was without sealant. That's the safety check that riders have been doing before adding sealant. This is the reason I didn't add any sealant.
Did seat without sealant, but added sealant a within few minutes, so not sure how long they would have held air without sealant.

WinterRider

by WinterRider

Ah... the Panti-Racer gravel dawg tire line.. LMFAO. JUNK tires.. sans tubes. Why this tire recommended TR is a complete joke. Guaranteed to leave one high and dry at some point in time.

Tube only tire.. unless one is expert w TR. Yet then the weight of the CO2's one needs to carry to avoid the 'hi and dries' in 'tim buc too' is prohibitive wt.

I figured one avenue to set this 9.99 tire sold for many times that .. up tube-ass. NO one will try this.. I will if someone would part w a worn set for a trial. This is how...

Sidewall is too limp.. really no way to fudge that. The ceo's mistress for 'party type' son musta got this idea to peddle this TR. One could increase the inside ERD of the tire bead.. w glue. Now you reactive types.. read CLOSELY.

Apply a light-ish layer of mold release/fat (prevents the glue from sticking to rim) .. whatever to the rim inside.. close attention to no debris of any kind.. preventing air seepage.. hence lockup.. no air creaking. Mount the junk tire.. apply a
thin layer of said glue to the area of bead/rim .. where they meet. C02 blast to seat.. I managed this w mine after coating w OEndurance normal routine.. get lower psi stablized and hopefully a seal the keeps bead in place. Tire sets up..
increasing bead reach.

Could use tubbie glue.. worth the bs.. I think not for anything Panti-Racer.. too much nonsense. Yet off shoots of this basic idea have some legs I suspect.
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 2 yrs from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

MikeD

by MikeD

I recommend against running Compass/Rene Herse tires tubeless. My experience was that the beads permanently stretch, making it very hard to air up a used tire. The casing is porous so the sealant bleeds through the sidewalls and formed a bubble in the tread of my tire. Probably great with tubes though. I replaced them with Hutchinson Overides, which probably are a bit heavier with more rolling resistance, but they are more suitable for running tubeless.

Marin

by Marin

My Compass / Herse Bon Jon Pass are flawless without tubes. Running them on Kinlin XR22 with Orange Seal endurance.

No leaking, no burping, very little pressure loss.

Marin

by Marin

I also had 47mm 650b Gravelking SKs and slicks. Super easy to set up tubeless, but very slow rolling in my tests.

G-One speed is much, much faster but probably not as tough.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

38mm (part # 11600995) Schwalbe G-One Speed is 480 grams though, where 38mm Panaracer GK's is only 320 grams. If I remember correctly, 2oz (60 ml) of Orange sealant is ~50 grams per tire.
www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/racing ... -ONE_Speed

NickJHP

by NickJHP

Bhaalgorn wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:38 pm
I can't find any weight comparison tables. Does anyone know or have recommendations for the lightest 700c tubeless 40mm gravel tire?
Compass Barlow Pass extralight. Nominally 700x38, but the ones I have eventually stretch out to 41mm wide on 25mm internal width rims, and weigh ~380g. They also have the lowest rolling resistance in a couple of comparative gravel tyre tests that I've seen. Review of the non-extralight version here: https://road.cc/content/review/237487-c ... ss-tc-tyre.

WinterRider

by WinterRider

Marin wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:19 am
My Compass / Herse Bon Jon Pass are flawless without tubes. Running them on Kinlin XR22 with Orange Seal endurance.

Marin have you flatted that rubber? Did the bead stay set? Could you reset the bead then.. assuming during a ride?
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 2 yrs from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

NickJHP

by NickJHP

WinterRider wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:12 am
Marin wrote:

Marin have you flatted that rubber? Did the bead stay set? Could you reset the bead then.. assuming during a ride?
I have a bike running Bon Jon Pass extralight setup tubeless on wheels built with LightBicycle RRU25C02 rims (18mm internal width). I've had one puncture that the sealant couldn't fix (a cut about 5mm long just off the centre of the tread). The beads stayed put - I stuffed a tyre worm in, pumped up the tyre, and was on my way in a couple of minutes. I did retire the tyre shortly afterwards, as the casing appeared to be herniating where it had been cut.

by Weenie

Marin

by Marin

WinterRider wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:12 am
Marin wrote:

Not flatted yet, but I added sealant last week and deflated both tires. Beads stayed seated & tires pumped right up again with a hand pump.

I'm confident that a normal flat during a ride would not unseat the beads.

I don't think there's a reliable and practical way to re-seat tires out on the road, so I always carry a small spare tube on longer rides.