Rose Pro Sl or BMC Roadmachine X

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Hex

by Hex

As the title says.

Considering I've run out of options to make my current bike comfortable. Thought of changing seat posts to something like a VCLS 2.0 but i dont have much of it showing anyway (size 51 frameset and about 13cm of post out)

Hands get a bit numb after about 1.5hrs ridind when on the hoods mostly. I'm using padded gloves. Can do 2.5hrs if switching regularly between tops and hoods.

So, as the title says. What do you guys think? Neither is super lightweight, but wish for the wider tire clearance for comfort.

zefs

by zefs

Sounds like you have too much weight on the handlebar, also might be caused by a shallow angle of the handlebar/hoods, making your wrists twist.
Have you tried increasing the reach and/or saddle setback? What tire pressures are you using and for what total weight?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hex

by Hex

Wrists feel in good position. Will look a bit into getting a bit more setback.

Tire pressure is 75r-65f and total weight of 85kg.

I also have another bike with with 38c 27.5 tires and that"s really lovely. Was thinking maybe a pair of schwalbe pro ones in 30c would be as lovely.

zefs

by zefs

Tire pressures seem on the low side for your weight which helps with comfort as you might expect, so maybe it's worth looking at your position on the bike again. If you do move your saddle back to bring more weight on that area instead of the handlebars note that for ~3mm of moving the saddle back it goes up ~1mm so might have to adjust the height too depending how much you move it.

Arm to wrist transition is recommended to be straight and not at an angle when on the hoods. A straight transition from handlebars to hoods is also worth trying because I've noticed that if there is a lot of downard tilt on the handlebar and the hoods are up it creates "spacing" between the two adding pressure on the hands.

For the bikes, they are quite different since Rose is road specific and BMC is gravel.

Hex

by Hex

Gonna try the repositioning.

Transition from tops to hoods is straight. Got sram levers and deda handlebars. They compliment each other well.

I have read that the roadmachine x is just a re-painted roadmachine 03 alloy. Clearance up to 36, which is more than the Rose. Thinking of the Rose as having up to 28/30 clearance but i believe the chainstays may offer a smoother ride. I think of both being very similar.

zefs

by zefs

Maybe if it's the disc version but you would need to ask them about tire clearance.
The rim version has clearance for 25mm as far as I know.

Hex

by Hex

Pro sl disc...yes.
I did think the rim versión could do 25mm, same as my Xeon rs. Looked like the same fork.

sqber

by sqber

As this article says, Pro SL has
25mm Mavic tyres appear thin and the frame has clearance for something bigger

Bikeradar says it fits 28mm rubber (article from 2019). Pro SL is the their bike of the year in sub-1000£ category :thumbup:

For me the choice would be simple: BMC as it has SRAM 1x :) (and better tire clearance)

Hex

by Hex

Yes. 28c for the Rose. It appears to be light, which is nice, but i think the 28c tyre would marginally improve my situation.

Still considering the BMC, but now looking at second hand RM03 because it is the same frame to save money on that.

Hex

by Hex

zefs wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:17 pm
Tire pressures seem on the low side for your weight which helps with comfort as you might expect, so maybe it's worth looking at your position on the bike again. If you do move your saddle back to bring more weight on that area instead of the handlebars note that for ~3mm of moving the saddle back it goes up ~1mm so might have to adjust the height too depending how much you move it.

Arm to wrist transition is recommended to be straight and not at an angle when on the hoods. A straight transition from handlebars to hoods is also worth trying because I've noticed that if there is a lot of downard tilt on the handlebar and the hoods are up it creates "spacing" between the two adding pressure on the hands.

For the bikes, they are quite different since Rose is road specific and BMC is gravel.
Moved saddle back. Did an hr ride and comfort isn't much improved. Too much buzz going into my arms. Maybe I need to beef up!

zefs

by zefs

Are there a lot of bumps where you ride? maybe that is what's causing it so going for wider tires and less tire pressure would help.

Hex

by Hex

I'd say the roads have long tarmac sections with patches and rough tarmac. Worn out tarmac in need of replacing. The vibration from the road is uncomfortable after some time. This is why I was looking into wide tire clearance. I can only fit nominal 25mm tires on my frame/fork (27.5mm measured)

I rode a friends steel bike with his nominal 23mm tires. He had nothing fancy on and his bike felt sooooo much smoother. So maybe I am paying a bit of a price for riding aluminium. Was thinking of ways of attacking the discomfort in my current bike. While I could change my saddle and seatpost to something like a VCLS 2.0 post, I can't chane what happens on the hoods.

Now considering maybe a steel frameset or a titanium bike if that feels like steel. I don't know much about the modern steel builds, but my mate's Peugeot felt really nice in feel but a bit laggy when pushing it hard. Not a responsive bike. Maybe it's the age. Maybe it's just the way it was made. Maybe it's just steel?

sqber

by sqber

You are going off topic (Rose vs BMC) with the numb hands :)

Hex

by Hex

Hahah! Well, I think zefs wanted to find out what was wrong to begin with and see if my current set up is working or not so as to maybe then discuss the bikes.

Still undecided. Not really motivated to do the spending if I can't find something reactive, that can be relatively light, and be comfortable.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ettore

by Ettore

You can buy my Roadmachine 03 ONE in size 51, but you'll have to come to Switzerland to pick it up :D