Yishun 44mm tubular, 3000km, pg 3

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MikeMiranda

by MikeMiranda

notsoswift wrote:
jordo99 wrote:Definitely looking forward to hearing back about these. I'll be buying my first carbon wheelset at the end of the summer.

...heard some good things about Yishun but didn't realize their wheelsets were that light (I'd guess the clincher version would be ~1300g).

Actually more like 1500

Cheap Carbon clinchers just don't make sense, there is so much extra material in the rim they weigh the same or more than Alu.

Edit
38mm 1480

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/53814 ... _road.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My 50mm clinchers from farsports/cx ray/hubsmith hubs came out to 1330 grams

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

kulivontot wrote:Am I the only person who thinks you guys are crazy for riding deep dish rando brand carbon rims down crazy steep mountains? I've probably read half a dozen posts of stuff like this. If you're going uphill 12% all day, what's wrong with a lightweight shallow aluminum wheelset? Weight wise you'll come close and who really gives a shit about aero going uphill or hitting 45 mph downhill instead of 40mph? I'd take braking confidence and stability against wind gusts any day over aero on a descent. Just seems like the wrong tool for the job.

The weather forcast was good, and we only rode up the final climb of today's Tour of Austria mountain top finish, so it seemed like a good opportunity, as the car was not all too far away. About braking confidence, that's the biggest surprise, they brake better than my alu AC420s.

There were several hundred other cyclists on the mountain, and I rode past about three dozen who had punctured their alu clinchers on the way down. (Also came along two NetApp pros who also punctured rolling down from the finish to the hotel, by the way. They were lucky to have a neutral service car near, which was also driving down after the mountain-top finish.)

That's not to say one is better than the other, but on a steep technical descent with traffic every wheel/tyre/tube will be stressed.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Tried blue Reynolds pads today, because the squealing with Swiss yellows was quite wild once the rims warmed up. Have to say I'm not impressed, the bite was slightly worse in todays damp conditions, and the squealing only a bit less loud.

Pads are toed in, I'm starting to wonder whether the brake calipers might have anyting to do with it -- KCNC C7s.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

I have about 500km on them now, time for an update. They are my daily drivers now, and I also used them in the rain, including grinding down an 800m vertical technical descent in the pouring rain. Other abuse they have to take regularly is grinding back down during my 3x3min hill repeats. I've been using yellow Swissstops first, and how blue Reynolds -- the brake track is still pristine. The wheels are also true still.

Amazingly the stiffness is also good enough for my ~90kg system weight (including tools and water :noidea: ). No brake rub during intervals, or when taking a short hill out of the saddle. I'll still have the spoke tension checked and crossings tied and soldered, because I sometimes get a clicking noise.

Braking in the dry is great but loud (despite toe-in), in the rain is not so good, but you'll survive even in the mountains. (I didn't race them in the rain yet).

Edit: I had another mountain descent in the heat yesterday, interestingly the squealing is pretty much gone now that the Reynolds pads are broken in.

Verdict so far: worth the price.

gigantor7

by gigantor7

This is exactly the thread I was looking for. Unfortunately it looks a bit old - hoping the original poster will come along and report more findings about their chinese carbon wheels.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

About 3000k on them now, alpine descents, rain, gravel, you name it. They are still going strong, but I'll have them trued as they've been starting to creak a bit when climbing, and the rear being ever so slightly out of true. Brake track still good, that basalt really seems to be something. Will add photos when I get to it.

mallardducks

by mallardducks

Old thread, but new forum member and I have had a version of the Yishun 44mm tubulars for the past couple of years...

Mine are the same rim but built with a 2:1 hub and lacing on the back wheel. Use them for racing.

I'm on the mid-weight side of things (62kb would be my racing weight - but generally I've been riding about at 69kg) so don't stress wheels too much through my weight, but I can generate a lot of torque and have broken spokes on old school traditional 32h, 3x rear wheels many times back in the day from standing start maximum acceleration in 53x17-15 power training.

My pair of Yishuns are good wheels. They came properly built/tensioned and have stayed so. They absorb power/torque very well and this with their low rim weight makes for what I'd call fast accelerating wheels.

Using Reynold Blues, braking in the dry is perfectly acceptable for our terrain (rolling hills, no mountains) though I do have to say it's not as good as Kool-Stop Salmons and aluminum rims. I don't ride them in the wet so can't comment on that other than my reasoning is that I'm wary of crashing in a big pack in the wet when there's a big mix of people riding aluminum and carbon. I'd rather be one of the guys riding aluminum in that sort of situation. In fairness I can't actually point to a bad braking in the wet experience with them. Brake surface wear has not been an issue for me.

Anyway, nice strong durable wheels. The one unfortunate thing in my mind, and I believe it applies to all deep section carbon wheels is that they are so vertically stiff that top quality tubulars (e.g. Vittoria Corsa) that will give a beautiful (mesmerizing almost) magic carpet ride quality on shallow aluminum rims only give you a nice ride on deep section carbon.

Yishun themselves were very good communicators when I was ordering these wheels, but... in subsequent attempts to communicate with them about one of their road frames they never once replied to a combination of five info requests through email and directly through their website! So yes, I do think that basic communication with the Chinese firms can be an issue.