Lightest Frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

As far as we know with regards to how the R&D machine works, as long as Cervelo is still putting the money in, they are already working on improving the R5 CA. It is a stunning bike, can't wait to see what they come up with next

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mattias Hellöre
in the industry

by Mattias Hellöre

If a manufacturer can make a 600-630 gram frame with max weight of 85 kg and the price around 6000-7000 euro, would you order one?

I would immediately do so.
Experimental Prototype

JWolf

by JWolf

Depends on the bike. Before I ordered the CA I read a lot about it. Everything I read and saw indicated it was a very good bike. Stiff, well build, well finished etc. so based in just weight I would not - but if everything else checked out - yes in a second. It's like buying a car base don just top speed. Compare a Bugatti Veyron VS a Saleen. I have driven both and would buy the Veyron but never the Saleen. The Veyron besides being the fastest production car in the world is a very good car. The Saleen is not. It's just fast. Everything else is very weak IMO.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

JWolf = Image
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

JWolf

by JWolf

Lol

SSB

by SSB

Ah... that explains how a S5 VWD can be an impulse purchase.

Yes, I jelly. :cry:
Flickr
2012 Cannondale CAAD10

swaits

by swaits

I know, right? I am not exactly poor, but dang.

Mattias Hellöre
in the industry

by Mattias Hellöre

We are not talking about a unknown manufacturer here, more like if it was available , I would do as JWolf did, extensive research, it will be a problem for a innovative new coming company as there´s no current track record..

Not an easy question.
Experimental Prototype

JWolf

by JWolf

Impulse may have been the wrong word. I wanted an aero bike and they had the one I wanted in my size. I wasnt thinking of buying it that day - but I probably would have ordered one in the near future. Just timing with my shop so I took advantage of it instead of waiting for an ordered bike.

Maybe the right word would have been opportunistic. Also got a pretty good deal on the bike.

chazzawoods

by chazzawoods

flyxi fr-315. mine is a 56cm and weighs in at just over 1000g, it has full internal cable routing, rides great, high quality carbon. you can get it with english bb or pf30. matt or gloss? your choice. mine came to £350 posted including the fork, seatpost and headset, which are also quite light.

chazzawoods

by chazzawoods

prendrefeu wrote:JWolf = Image

loadsamoney!

JWolf

by JWolf

That's not my picture. Put up be of brad pit he looks more like me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Illuminate

by Illuminate

mrfish

by mrfish

Don't be harsh on JWolf. His regular 'investment' in top end cycling products will mean that your $4000 2017 bike has a 700g frame and all of today's top end gizmos.

Just look at your bike history - today's $2000 aluminium Canyon with 105 is better than Indurain's tour-winning bikes and today's $4000 Trek is better than most of Armstrong's bikes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SSB

by SSB

I don't think anyone is being harsh on JWolf- I for one, enjoy seeing these super high-end bikes out there and talking about them with their owners. I am disappointed when the owner doesn't seem to know anything about the bike, but JWolf does seem to know what he's doing.

I do recall Cervelo saying that the R5ca was an engineering project, a test to see what can be done with carbon fibre that trickles down to their entire line, to build lighter and stiffer bikes overall. It just so happened that it developed a following from wealthy clientele, which definitely helps with recouping R&D costs.

Personally, I don't have the funds to contribute to Cervelo's R&D fund, so I'm going for a handbuilt on my next project at a fraction of the R5ca's cost. I was having a discussion with Dave Ryther from Alchemy the other night, and it seems that they're building aero frames to the same weight as their round tube frames. For a smaller guy like me, they said a weight of 800 grams on the Aero frame is doable in a raw UD finish (i.e. no paint.) so that is going to be my next bike.
Flickr
2012 Cannondale CAAD10