What saddles is everyone using?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

GASer

by GASer

Fizik Antares 00 (Orca),
Fizik Antares Versus (Aqua),
Fizik Gobi (Superfly 100),
Selle San Marco Zoncolan (Tomassini)
Trek SpeedConcept 9.9 Project One, Basso Diamante SV, DeRosa SK (sold), Orbea Orca Gold 6430gr, Orbea Aqua, Tommasini Tecno, FM-066SL 6480gr, Kinesis RaceLight T2, Trek Superfly 100, Orbea Alma 29, Specialized Enduro S-Works 29, KTM EXC-250

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Thats a pretty interesting range there, have you noticed any big changes in feeling or pelvic stability going from the ~140mm Antares to the ~129mm zoncolan?
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GASer

by GASer

SolidSnake03 wrote:Thats a pretty interesting range there, have you noticed any big changes in feeling or pelvic stability going from the ~140mm Antares to the ~129mm zoncolan?

Seems I can only fit on the Antares (and the various Toupe). I picked the Zoncolan only to match the looks on the specific bike which I dont ride much anyway.
Trek SpeedConcept 9.9 Project One, Basso Diamante SV, DeRosa SK (sold), Orbea Orca Gold 6430gr, Orbea Aqua, Tommasini Tecno, FM-066SL 6480gr, Kinesis RaceLight T2, Trek Superfly 100, Orbea Alma 29, Specialized Enduro S-Works 29, KTM EXC-250

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

Janman wrote:San Marco Zoncolan FX carbon :twisted:

How do you like this saddle. Anything similar to compare it too. What made you pick it. I have considered the open version of this.

dmoneysworks

by dmoneysworks

-Team Romin Evo Pro on road bike
-Prologo Nago Evo TTR on TT bike

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

1415chris wrote:I've been riding the first version of the Smud's saddle for the last two years. Saddle 67g, without any reinforcement, I'm 200lb.

I think it would be fine. I ride on very smooth and flat roads. I am dropping weight as I change my build from more of a football to "large cyclist" build. At 180-185 I would be shredded.

How long did it take to get yours once ordering?

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

GASer wrote:
SolidSnake03 wrote:Thats a pretty interesting range there, have you noticed any big changes in feeling or pelvic stability going from the ~140mm Antares to the ~129mm zoncolan?

Seems I can only fit on the Antares (and the various Toupe). I picked the Zoncolan only to match the looks on the specific bike which I dont ride much anyway.

Ah gotcha, I just found it interesting since that was a pretty big range of saddles and sizes and would have found it a bit surprising if they were all super comfortable/great. Been riding an Antares myself for a bit with decent results.
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

mann2

by mann2

Arione Zero-Zero; 137g as measured.

very very very comfortable

NiFTY

by NiFTY

S works toupe - 114g

Specialized toupe expert - the expert is mildly more comfortable than the s works but not much. The S works is easy to do 4 hours in the saddle on. No numbness on either saddle - ever.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HillRPete

by HillRPete

NWSAlpine wrote:

How do you like this saddle. Anything similar to compare it too. What made you pick it. I have considered the open version of this.

Not the person you asked, but for me the Zoncolan works very well without or with thin chamois, and a more upright position. For lower riding I like the Aspide.

sigismond0

by sigismond0

Specialized Romin Pro (143) on my Langster--Romins have always been my favorite saddles, and I agonize every time I have to get something else because the Romin clashes with the rest of the bike. The 2013 Pro, however, will make life way easier since it's pure black/white.

Selle Italia SLR Superflow (145) on my Synapse--I would have gone with the Teknoflow if it weren't for A) the pricetag and B) my disdain for narrow saddles. I've been very happy with it so far, and the giant chasm isn't as bad as it looks.

Fizik Antares Versus on my '02 Black Lightning--As much as I hate Fizik saddles (yeah, way in the minority on that one apparently), I wanted something that had a more traditional style than mose current saddles, and Fizik matches that bill perfectly. Versus line was a must, and the Antares felt like less of a wedgie machine than the Arione.

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

wassertreter wrote:
NWSAlpine wrote:

Not the person you asked, but for me the Zoncolan works very well without or with thin chamois, and a more upright position. For lower riding I like the Aspide.

I was thinking it woud not be the best on the front. I tend to ride as aero as possible as I typically ride flat roads with lots of wind. I'm thinking a flatter saddle with some kick up in the back would be nice.

I emailed SMUD-Carbon but have a feeling I won't hear back. I might just go with a Tune Komm-Vor Plus. I like the fact the SMUD has no leather to wear out and look bad.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

NWSAlpine wrote:I was thinking it [Zoncolan, ed] woud not be the best on the front. I tend to ride as aero as possible as I typically ride flat roads with lots of wind. I'm thinking a flatter saddle with some kick up in the back would be nice.

By "front" do you mean sitting on the front of the saddle?
That's one thing I've been wondering about, many times I read that people are moving to the front of the saddle when riding low. When I'm in the drops, I move back a bit, up the tail of the Aspide, which results in less pressure on the perineum. Am I doing it wrong?

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

Yes by the front I mean the narrow tip of the saddle.

Moving back depends on how your bike is setup. One thing to note is that by moving back on the saddle and getting low closes your hip angle. Some people lose power when closing/changing the hip angle too much.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

wassertreter wrote:
NWSAlpine wrote:I was thinking it [Zoncolan, ed] woud not be the best on the front. I tend to ride as aero as possible as I typically ride flat roads with lots of wind. I'm thinking a flatter saddle with some kick up in the back would be nice.

By "front" do you mean sitting on the front of the saddle?
That's one thing I've been wondering about, many times I read that people are moving to the front of the saddle when riding low. When I'm in the drops, I move back a bit, up the tail of the Aspide, which results in less pressure on the perineum. Am I doing it wrong?

As I'm riding the same saddle I notice I tend to the same as the mildly rising rear of the Aspide gives me more support.
In order to maintain an open enough hip angle I move the seatpost up a little and the cleats a little more to the front of the feet.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.