Dura Ace 9000 - ETA late 2012/early 2013

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

keith

by keith

Oooh dear, tricky question. Initial thoughts on the mechanical was they were very thick, but I quickly got used to that and now like it. The change is very very good too. In some ways easier to ride with than Di2 in that there is plenty of mechanical feedback. The rear shift is almost Di2 like with very little effort required to move the levers, front shift just works too, more lever movement, but very light.

Di2 in comparison, the hoods are very thin, they remind me of my DA 7800, almost too thin perhaps for my taste, but for me it doesn't have much bearing on the ride really. I've only had 3 rides on the new bike so far, so still getting used to the Di2 and push button shifting, and the weight, 13lb :-)
Riding my road bikes around Eryri

http://www.strava.com/athletes/keith_robertson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

vwo05

by vwo05

Thanks Keith. I did wonder whether the smaller di2 hoods would cause more pressure on the hands. Then again, my hands aren't very large so it may work better with di2.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rmerka

by rmerka

I know it hasn't been discussed in this thread for a while but, any of you folks there that have a noisy cassette would you classify the noise as a ticking sound when your applying power in just those intermediate gears that are on the carbon carrier? If so I think I might have the same issue with the 9000 series cassette.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Is there any functional difference between the FD adapter clamps for the DA DI2 FDs? Shimano list the SM-AD79 for the 7970 FD and the SM-AD90 for the 9070 FD. Is there any reason the SM-AD79 clamp won't work with the 9070 FD?

Svetty

by Svetty

Have been through this whole thread trying to find out if the 9000 brakes work well with 7900/6700 shifters - is the modulation OK etc. The question has been asked twice before but hasn't been answered. Can anyone confirm that braking performance is OK with this combo?

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

The Fairwheel blog about 9000 is the only place I have seen any reference to brake compatibility:

"The (9000) brake is backwards-compatible and is confirmed to work with a 7900 lever."

http://fairwheelbikes.com/c/updates-and ... #more-2627

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

5 seconds with google revealed that per the below, 9000 brakes are compatible with 7900 levers.

In http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/02/bikes-and-tech/technical-faq/technical-faq-mixing-and-matching-derailleurs-and-shifters_275170, Lennard Zinn wrote:The Dura-Ace 9000 brake calipers work fine with Dura-Ace 7900 or Ultegra 6700 levers; Shimano in fact declares them to be cross-compatible. Earlier Shimano levers have too much leverage; with the inception of Dura-Ace 7900, Shimano decreased the leverage of the brake levers and increased their cable pull while increasing the leverage of the calipers. The BR-9000 brake calipers are designed for similar leverage and cable pull.

Edit: posted before seeing BdaGhisallo's post, but in agreement therewith.

bwdftp

by bwdftp

Svetty wrote:Have been through this whole thread trying to find out if the 9000 brakes work well with 7900/6700 shifters - is the modulation OK etc. The question has been asked twice before but hasn't been answered. Can anyone confirm that braking performance is OK with this combo?

i'm using 9000 with 7970 and all good. definitely a good upgrade from 7900 brakes.

Doolop

by Doolop

rmerka wrote:I know it hasn't been discussed in this thread for a while but, any of you folks there that have a noisy cassette would you classify the noise as a ticking sound when your applying power in just those intermediate gears that are on the carbon carrier? If so I think I might have the same issue with the 9000 series cassette.

For what its worth-

My cassette makes noise, but not on the carbon spider its just in the biggest 2 cogs. And its like a continuous creaking while climbing. More force on it makes more noise.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Apologies if it has been asked before. I searched, but haven't seemingly found an answer.

With the release of SRAM 22, they have included as part of the package S700 shifters that allow the hyd brakes, but with a 10sp system.

Given that when Shimano release their version of the hydraulic disc road system, and that it's likely to be Ultegra and 11sp, does anyone know either if they release a 10sp compatible version or that the 11sp will be able to operate the 10sp Ultegra Di2 RD ?

I'm asking as I run discs with a TRP Parabox, and looking to keep it 10sp to reduce the costs ?

Any knowledge or inside gossip that can be shared ? :beerchug:

PS : I found this from a Zinn article back in Jul 2012, and whilst it comes close to answering what I am asking, it doesn't quite
I have yet to receive or test or wrench on an 11-speed Shimano group, mechanical or Di2 (the latter is months away), so it’s unknown at this time if the RD-9070 Di2 rear derailleur can be reprogrammed to shift 10-speed spacing. But using the limit screws and what Stetina’s bike at ATOC demonstrates about 9000 mechanical, I am confident that I can adjust 11-speed Di2 to shift a 10-speed cassette made from an 11-speed one (thus usable on any wheel with a Shimano-compatible freehub) as Stetina has done, including 12-32 for ultra low range climbing gears, just as well as his 9000 mechanical shifted with such a cassette.

Seaholm

by Seaholm

Do the new Dura Ace 9000 brakes work well with wider rims, like the Zipp Firecrest- rims?

Experiences, anyone?

bwdftp

by bwdftp

Seaholm wrote:Do the new Dura Ace 9000 brakes work well with wider rims, like the Zipp Firecrest- rims?

Experiences, anyone?

yes. i'm using them and they work great with 202 clinchers, 404 clinchers and 303 tubulars (all firecrest).

dynaserve

by dynaserve

bwdftp wrote:i'm using 9000 with 7970 and all good. definitely a good upgrade from 7900 brakes.

Are they noticeably better than the 7900 calipers?

bwdftp

by bwdftp

dynaserve wrote:
bwdftp wrote:i'm using 9000 with 7970 and all good. definitely a good upgrade from 7900 brakes.

yes, there is certainly a noticeable improvement. my experience is pretty consistent with what the reviews are saying.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mann2

by mann2

bwdftp wrote:
dynaserve wrote:

yes, there is certainly a noticeable improvement. my experience is pretty consistent with what the reviews are saying.

I second this. Was actually happy with the 7900, but the 9000 is just plain better.