Venge McLaren

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
ajxd
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:17 pm
Location: Savannah, GA

by ajxd

Lots of whiney bitches in this thread.

by Weenie


User avatar
MaLóL
Posts: 596
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:17 am

by MaLóL

ajxd wrote:Lots of whiney bitches in this thread.


true. also those bitches are highly appreciated. clients who spend a ton and don't care bout the weight of what they buy are really unnecessary...
Happy trails !!!!!

Coolvdp
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:55 pm
Location: France (Brest)

by Coolvdp

Dame! So beautiful!!

mrfish
Posts: 1718
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:49 pm
Location: Near Horgen, Switzerland

by mrfish

Not time to weigh it? How long does it take you to press the On button on the scales?

The whole thing sounds like a disappointment. I do hope McLaren get the chance to build a whole bike as the Venge frankly looks like a dog's breakfast.

Also the whole idea that more stiffness and less weight is better doesn't really hold water. Once beyond a certain stiffness level, the bike just beats you up and difference between a recreational cyclist riding a Dogma and a Z5SL up a steep hill is only a few seconds, so I don't understand why anyone would buy the McLaren over the Specialized version. I haven't ridden an S5 or similar, so I couldn't comment whether aero really works or not, but I suspect again the real-world difference is smaller than the numbers suggest, and a "quite aero but not really bike" like the Venge seems like a nasty compromise.

Better to get a bike with nice paint that looks good and thus makes you ride it more. The McLaren doesn't win on either of those counts.

User avatar
slyboots
Posts: 445
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 3:31 pm
Location: Russia, Moscow

by slyboots

mrfish wrote:so I don't understand why anyone would buy the McLaren over the Specialized version

It's simple - because it costs more. :wink:

Robitaille20
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:04 pm
Location: Austria

by Robitaille20

And what is now with the Venge McLaren Framesets ? I want to upbuild a bike by myself not this overpriced one :D
Anyone know where to get a McLaren Venge Frame in size 52 ?
Here in Europe at the moment no one has. They will continue delivery of the McLaren to dealers in the next month, or is that only a limited production ? Does anybody know about ?

Franklin
Posts: 400
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:09 am

by Franklin

bricky21 wrote:I think it's fair to wonder where exactly is the cost benefit ratio with an $18000 of the rack bike.


A quick google gives it 8k for a frame, which seems a believable price to me (and completely insane to justify considering you can get custom for less). That gives 10K of parts..!?!? I checked the Specialized site and looked at these parts and tbh... that's paying through more than your nose....

And sure, if you have the cash, who am I to judge someone's priorities? But I do feel I may say that the cash can be spend to build better/prettier and more exclusive custom bikes and the customer would have cash to spare. The only exclusive thing about this bike is the cost and that doesn't do it for me.

tcw
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:11 pm

by tcw

Funny we just got a call from our Pina rep letting us know they have the new Dogma2 with Campy EPS ready to ship; $17,500...

...thoughts?

cheers

User avatar
luckypuncheur
Posts: 249
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:26 pm
Location: Germany

by luckypuncheur

If money, aesthetics and weight don't matter - why not?
Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.

Robitaille20
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:04 pm
Location: Austria

by Robitaille20

Franklin wrote:
bricky21 wrote:I think it's fair to wonder where exactly is the cost benefit ratio with an $18000 of the rack bike.


A quick google gives it 8k for a frame, which seems a believable price to me (and completely insane to justify considering you can get custom for less). That gives 10K of parts..!?!? I checked the Specialized site and looked at these parts and tbh... that's paying through more than your nose....

And sure, if you have the cash, who am I to judge someone's priorities? But I do feel I may say that the cash can be spend to build better/prettier and more exclusive custom bikes and the customer would have cash to spare. The only exclusive thing about this bike is the cost and that doesn't do it for me.


Sure the dealers have the Frameset all at there websites, but available to buy they are not ( I speak now from my size 52 ). Last information from them is that for this year production is finished. So if you pre order one in my size the production will start at August and you will get at the beginning of 2013

Franklin
Posts: 400
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:09 am

by Franklin

tcw wrote:Funny we just got a call from our Pina rep letting us know they have the new Dogma2 with Campy EPS ready to ship; $17,500...

...thoughts?

cheers


If it sells it's good business... first and foremost a cycling manufacturer and a cycling shop try to make money. I'm not slamming it from their perspective. But from a customer viewpoint it's a bit silly.

Sure, if you look at the price of the components and a good custom frame it's a crazy decision. but that is not the issue: Anyone can get a Pina... nobody has my custom "Ger". And sure that piss-alu, but you can get wonderful custom Carbon, steel and tita in the highest brackets.

Consider this: Custom is made to fit, of the shelve will have to be fitted by changing parts.

It's not just value for money, I understand showing your wealth. What I don't get is showing it with an of the shelve bike when you can get fantastic custom bikes that are truly unique.

User avatar
SigmaSport
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:52 pm

by SigmaSport

I just weighed a 56cm McLaren frame. The weight includes seat clamp, Di2 cabling and battery mount.

Image

396g weight for an un-cut fork.

Image

mile2424
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:22 am

by mile2424

Very nice, so how much is this in comparison to an actual weighed S-Works Venge frame set.

diegogarcia
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:31 pm

by diegogarcia

SigmaSport wrote:I just weighed a 56cm McLaren frame. The weight includes seat clamp, Di2 cabling and battery mount.

Image

396g weight for an un-cut fork.

Image


Interesting as I heard thought that the Mclaren had a English thread BB but evidently not....or are the pro teams just running it ?

Robitaille20
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:04 pm
Location: Austria

by Robitaille20

I know...you guys from Sigmasport have 3 complete bikes of the McLaren in size 56. Contacted you about Frameset in size 52, but without any answer. The DI2 cable with battery mount which I have at home weights 102 Gramm, so the Frameset alone in size 56 has more than 1100 Gramm. Its wondering me cause Specialized promised to have a weight around 950 Gramm only.

by Weenie


Post Reply