New Build, Need Advice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jrobart

by jrobart

Just got a great deal on a Lapierre HM X-Lite Cross frame and fork (Ritchey WCS carbon). Want to build it up as a winter/cross/back up road bike and would welcome thoughts on how to spec it out. First a little background, my main steed is a Seven Axiom SL with a mix of Campy SR and Record and Zipp 303 tubulars. Absolutely love it but don't really want to ride it through the ugly road salt filled winters here in Massachusetts (or at least that's the excuse I'm using to build up another bike).

Extra components that I have and plan to use:

Dura Ace 7800 crankset (53/39)
FSA new ergo bars
Romin Pro saddle
Ksyrium SL wheels (might even use the 303s)
Avid Shorty Ultimate brakes (new)

Been thinking about going with a SRAM X0 front and rear derailleur. I'd welcome any advice folks may have to make this a respectable WW ride without breaking the bank.
Current: Seven 622 SLX | Seven OVRLND XX | Fondriest Carbon Magister | Yeti SB100 |
Retired: Litespeed T5G | Seven Axiom SL| Seven Mudhoney SL|S Works Crux |Fat CAAD 1 |

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ldamelio

by ldamelio

Any reason to not finish it off with Rival or Force ? Good value, weight, and performance for your intended purposes. I built my latest cross bike with Force (Red brifters) even though I'm a Campy guy otherwise and have been pleased with performance and value - not Campy smooth, but very acceptable and durable. I went with this build because 11 speed not great for cross and 10 speed NOS Campy stuff crazily overpriced. Also SRAM supports cross and their neutral support guys are nice enough at races to 'warranty' (ie, replace even if you ruined it in a crash) parts on the spot.

veganeric

by veganeric

How often are you going to wash this thing?...And I mean a thorough bath, not a simple wipe down. This is a major factor in choosing/suggesting parts for a winter ride when road salt is involved.

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

Don't know if this would interest you, but Campy 11 shifters and a Shimano rear derailleur (Campy front), will shift a Shimano or Sram 9spd cassette perfectly. 9spd cassettes and chains are cheaper and more durable.

jrobart

by jrobart

Yeah, I'm leaning toward a combination of Force (shifters) and Rival derailleurs. Did the math today of weight savings to cost and there is no comparison that Rival is the "best" deal. I'm thinking of the Force shifters/brake levers as I'm thinking they will provide a bit more stopping power than the Rival.

As for washing, I'm pretty good at giving it a decent rinse, but as for soaking, I could be a bit more diligent on that front.

Any thoughts on seat posts and stems?
Current: Seven 622 SLX | Seven OVRLND XX | Fondriest Carbon Magister | Yeti SB100 |
Retired: Litespeed T5G | Seven Axiom SL| Seven Mudhoney SL|S Works Crux |Fat CAAD 1 |