AERO brakes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Stuartclark1977

by Stuartclark1977

Tri rig Omega ordered this morning, dispatched this afternoon 8)

Looking forward to adding it to the front of my Felt!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

koebes

by koebes

has anybody already experience with the omegas? i would like to know how well they perform against the dura ace brakes (not aero wise, but brake performance).

BmanX

by BmanX

They are not going to be as good as a Dura-Ace brake or as good as my EE brakes but they are not that far off either. They are better than my KCNC CB1 brakes I had.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

daryl1

by daryl1

Not as strong as DA for sure, I am using an omega on the front DA 7800 on the rear. One thing is that there seems to be a lot of toe in on one side, so I can't get it really close.

Good enough though, definitely not weak, but at the same time not really strong. I like to set my pads really close though and don't care much for modulation.

BmanX

by BmanX

create some shims and it should take care of things.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

koebes wrote:has anybody already experience with the omegas? i would like to know how well they perform against the dura ace brakes (not aero wise, but brake performance).

I've got a front one on my TT bike, but don't think I'd ever consider putting one on a road bike (where braking tends to be a bit more vital). They're fine for TT/Tri applications, but I wouldn't worry about the 2W savings for road.

audiojan

by audiojan

The Omegas are by far good enough, a substantial improvement to my Zero Gravity's that I was using before. We're also talking TT's and tri's, so there shouldn't be too many really hard brakes anyway... I'm VERY happy with my Omegas.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

koebes

by koebes

I had considered to use them on my Cervelo S2. I usually ride in hilly terrain and we also do a TTT on every group-ride on a downhill section (-2% over 18km and mostly wind from behind). So aero is important but to come to a stop when a truck underestimates our speed is more important.

Why are there so many of you only using the front brake? I thought they come as a pair? (Now I guess they don't)

BmanX

by BmanX

I am using them on my Cervelo SLC front and rear and they work more than fine but as mentioned they are not as strong as my EE brakes were. They stop me more than good enough.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

koebes

by koebes

EEs would be my favorite but they are way to expensive.

Did you have any problems with tax? Since I'm in Germany I wonder if I have to pay the VAT in America and in Germany. Of course I would prefer to have only the american VAT :wink:

BmanX

by BmanX

I am thinking that a great set up might be the EE on the back and the Omega on the front and I might go that way on two of my builds. I think the aero on the front (even just for a cleaner looking set up) is a great look and cleans up the front end so much. Oh and aero too.

As for tax and such I had my 4 Omega's sent to a friend in the US then sent up as a gift to Canada so I did not have to work about much.

I like having both of them on my Cervelo SLC but I think once my back is in better shape and I get a bit more time on them, I might go EE back and Omega front. Might do this set up on my English build as well
BIG DADDY B FLOW

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Using Omegas both front & rear. Coming from DA brakes, to be honest, I kinda expected more of a "wow" factor... but nothing especially impressive in them (except aerodynamics, where I've not felt any significant gains anyway :D). Braking is adequate (but not impressive), adjustment if using both wide and narrow rims actually not as easy, given that you have to mess with the cable... and they somehow also look slightly weird on my Look 596 8)

Also, I had to sand down the thickest washer of the brake mounting bolt quite a bit to get the front brake installed in a correct angle relative to the fork, otherwise the brake arms were scratching the fork blades. However, this rather might partially be also Looks manufacturing problem if the thread of the front brake bolt was actually drilled slightly too skewed...
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

koebes wrote:Since I'm in Germany I wonder if I have to pay the VAT in America and in Germany. Of course I would prefer to have only the american VAT :wink:
There is no VAT in the U.S. Some U.S. states have sales tax, but this is not charged if you don't live in that state. So your only taxes should be import duties and whatever other taxes (VAT?) Germany would charge.

koebes

by koebes

okay, thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

daryl1

by daryl1

BmanX wrote:create some shims and it should take care of things.

Do you have any pics or a better description? If I put washers between the pad holder and the arm it would increase the toe in, not decrease (which I am looking for).