Shimano Dura-Ace 9000 Series - 11sp

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Now to prove my point that it can be done.

NO BIG DEAL ... :waving:

Oh ya... this is how comparatively a Avid BB7 Road compares with a 160mm disc. Notice the amount of unused space ??

Last edited by maxxevv on Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

slyboots

by slyboots

Nice job, maxxevv! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

i kind of like the over/under thing going on.
personally, i'd just use Hayes' (very) old 22mm mounting pattern. it was robust, compact, and chainstay mounted.

euan

by euan

Again people are forgetting about Canyon's Project 6.8

Twin 120mm upfront and a 120mm rear

http://www.canyon.com/_en/technology/project68.html

jimboweenie

by jimboweenie

Regarding disc brakes on road bikes, I've been commuting on a disc brake front (BB7, 180mm rotor), rim brake rear in all weathers for about two years now. On my racing/training/go-fast bikes I have Record and Dura Ace brakes, plus lots of Veloce and Tectro dual pivots and some CNC machined oddities from Planet X.

In good conditions I agree the advantage of discs is small (it is nice to have but not essential and probably not worth the weight penalty) but in heavy rain the difference is massive. With rim brakes and wet rims it always takes a couple of revolutions of the wheel before braking really kicks in but with discs it is instant.

Now, is this worth the fuss on a racing bike, rather than a city commuter? I'm not so sure. In a pack do you really want the guy in front of you to be able to stop instantly?

But on your own, in a city, with crazy road users, in the rain? For those conditions I'd take discs anyday for the front brake. The rear locks up so easily in the rain under heavy braking anyway that I don't think it offers any advantage.

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

Maxxevv you just proved my point. You can't do it without hanging the bracket off behind the axle. I think if you manufactured this it would not prove very reliable because the offset of the caliper and the stresses would eventually cause the bottom of the bracket to crack at the welds. However, whoever built the bike in the picture actually solved the problem we both failed to visualize.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

horse

by horse

Rim caliper brake will stay in the peloton.

Could see it in the lower echelons gruppes though as it mitigates the wear on the rim. You should want to avoid drastic stops all of a sudden in any situation. MTB trails have better use due to drastic accelerations compensated with drastic decelerations from the hydraulic brake. Different situation in the road.

CBJ

by CBJ

horse wrote:Rim caliper brake will stay in the peloton.

Could see it in the lower echelons gruppes though as it mitigates the wear on the rim. You should want to avoid drastic stops all of a sudden in any situation. MTB trails have better use due to drastic accelerations compensated with drastic decelerations from the hydraulic brake. Different situation in the road.

With all the crashing going on it seems like the ability to stop quickly can be nice. However isn't the tires the real limitation. I have had several close encounters breaking full speed and it always seems like its the tire that is the problem?

Epic-o

by Epic-o

euan wrote:Again people are forgetting about Canyon's Project 6.8

Twin 120mm upfront and a 120mm rear

http://www.canyon.com/_en/technology/project68.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A better pic

terminus

by terminus

any info on the PD-9000SL? really fast for Shimano to update the pedal since the PD-7900 just came out.

kevinkalis

by kevinkalis

I, for one, would be happy to see hydraulic discs on road bikes. We're talking about evolution here.

Discs on the road are about as advantageous as electronic shifting.....
K2

Do you suffer more when you train, or cannot train?

Ozrider

by Ozrider

Hope they do BB30 crank which is a lot lighter,and hopefully accepts aftermarket chainrings
Also hope group set weight drops tp match new SRAM Red which is rumored to be 250g lighter than current Red
Also a return to the butter smooth shifting of DA 7800
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

JensW

by JensW

Ozrider wrote:Hope they do BB30 crank which is a lot lighter,and hopefully accepts aftermarket chainrings
Also hope group set weight drops tp match new SRAM Red which is rumored to be 250g lighter than current Red
Also a return to the butter smooth shifting of DA 7800

the problem is, if they try to match the new red weight (just a rumor weight ), they have to take away like 500g from 7900, that isn´t so easy to do.

boots2000

by boots2000

I have done a lot of climbing and descending rides in the rain.
It seems to me that the main limiter in the rain is traction more so than braking power?

airwise

by airwise

Don't think Shimano will worry about Red's alleged weight. Durability is an important quality for the Japanese. As for those still questioning discs, any chance of looking up the word "modulation" in Websters or the Oxford English?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com