Schwalbe Ultremo ZX blow-up today.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

It was on the rim.
Because its a "Tubeless ready" rim shape, I could hear the tire "popping" to adjust to rim while inflated. Like a car tire.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

martinar2

by martinar2

I had the same problem with two Ultremo r1's, i installed perfectly(including schwalbe inner tubes), I took great care in doing so! pumped to 120psi gradually over 2 days, front and rear! Went to meet a friend 2 miles away, perfect, locked up my bike and when I returned they had both blown up, to the extent that the side walls of the tyres had threads loose everywhere! Contacted Schwalbe by email and no reply :|
Lucky for me however that I was parked across the road from a bike shop and was able to get 2 new tubes

jordo99

by jordo99

FWIW, I think that it's an issue with the rim but installation error also seems pretty likely judging by the psi you were running and that you didn't install it correctly the first time (blew out a tire on initial install...happens to the best of us...but it still happened)

Maybe the version of clincher you have is drastically different from the R1's I used to ride...but I'm 160lbs and ran them close to 115psi...which was spec for my weight...in fact, I've never gone over 120psi in any clincher and I always go off the manufacture spec for my weight.

...not trying to rag on you man. I'm just trying to stress what I think is likely the cause and trying to back up my claims. Shit happens and it sucks when it does.

Here's how I install clinchers:
put the first bead onto the rim
install tube and inflate just enough so that it fills the clincher
put the second bead onto the rim
go all the way around both sides pushing the bead to the middle of the rim to verify that the tube isn't caught underneath
inflate to around 50psi and then go around the whole tire pushing/pulling at the beads to make sure they are seated as evenly as possible
inflate to the proper manufacture spec
go riding

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

If you are talking about the wheels in your first post, you over inflated.
I believe the max tire pressure Shimano recommends for those wheels is 116psi. It's in the tech docs on their site somewhere.

Why on earth do you need 130psi at your weight anyway ? you'll get better performance with much less than that.

edit: those are great wheels by the way, i rode them a couple years ago.

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

Also, with wheels for tubeless, during and after you get the tire on the rim (not sure how you did it), you have to seat it all the way around in the center (deeper) part, making sure the slightly inflated tube is inside the tire by squeezing the tire with both hands between thumb and finger and moving your hands around the rim.

Liggero

by Liggero

i had a similar issue. Ultremo ZX + kinlin xr200 rim + conti supersonic 50g tubes. 7 bar of pressure. 2 tubes exploded by inflating, one exploded duing a strong srpint in a slight climb. Asking in the forum, it is possible that such a thin tube find its way between rim and tire easily. No issues with thicker tubes.

Gonna stop using these 45-50g tubes, gonna switch to 65-70g tubes. All butyl tubes, not gonna try any latex tubes.
Happy Trails !!!

skywalker268

by skywalker268

strobbekoen wrote:If you are talking about the wheels in your first post, you over inflated.
I believe the max tire pressure Shimano recommends for those wheels is 116psi. It's in the tech docs on their site somewhere.

Why on earth do you need 130psi at your weight anyway ? you'll get better performance with much less than that.

edit: those are great wheels by the way, i rode them a couple years ago.

+1. They're fantastic wheels, but you really need to listen to the inflation instructions on any tubeless compatible rim. For instance I think the stans alpha 340's have a max inflation pressure of 115psi, and I've seen the rim on those bend open at 130psi, causing a catastrophic failure. Check the rim on your wheels for any deformations or cracks.

project3

by project3

130psi? whats your weight?