Extralite Roadstem OC reliable?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

I searched this forum for feedback regarding the stem and most comments are rather neutra at worst (a little soft perhaps esp with long ones), and I thought I'll go ahead and bite the bullet.

Called up the LBS asking for it and they said they only have short ones to clear as they are no longer carrying them - guy said there's too many 'problems'/breakages with them and hence they are dropping them!

Is the stem that fragile? Quite a few users said it worked perfectly fine though...hm...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I have used two for quit some time now. Both 90 and 100 mm length. I find there is some flex when pounding hard on the hoods going up hills but never any issues. I would buy again without any concerns.

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

Come to think of it I have lots of Extralite equipment without any problems. I also find there products weight as stated in their advertising.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

While I have nothing to add to the topic posed, when it comes to stems and their softness, I'm perpetually puzzled how people are riding their bikes so that stem rigidity makes a difference.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

We've sold a lot of them over the last few years and have never seen a broken one. A few people stripped the bolts, mostly in earlier versions which were allen instead of torx but none broken. It's certainly not the stiffest stem, but that's to be expected at that weight.

Overall I think they are a very nice stem. My only complaint is lack of grip on the bar on the road version. On the mtb version since your hands are parallel with the front of the stem you don't have much leverage, but on a road bar since your hands and therefore a lot of your weight are several inches in front of the stem there is a lot more leverage which can cause the bar to slip in some circumstances.

ellipsesx

by ellipsesx

I use the 110 mm and never had any problems about flex maybe not the stiffest but for sure the lightest

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

I'm running a 100mm. No problems whatsoever. Nice looking, very light.

Cheers

GJ

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

It's great that a retailer like FWB comes out to give their opinion about products - I do notice that the mtb guys generally seems happier with it while there are reports here and there of the roadstem slipping in its grip. I'll be using a compact 3T ergonova ltd with it and the reach is not nearly far enough to rotate the bars I hope.

Perhaps I didn't get the message and what the LBS actually meant was 'we're not carrying Extralite anymore, can we show you something else better...'

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Kayrehn wrote:It's great that a retailer like FWB comes out to give their opinion about products - I do notice that the mtb guys generally seems happier with it while there are reports here and there of the roadstem slipping in its grip. I'll be using a compact 3T ergonova ltd with it and the reach is not nearly far enough to rotate the bars I hope.

Perhaps I didn't get the message and what the LBS actually meant was 'we're not carrying Extralite anymore, can we show you something else better...'

I have the ergo nova ltds and a 90mm extralite stem... As long as you use plenty of Carbon paste they it's a sweet setup. I'm only using 2.5nm on the front bolts too and it's not bugded an mm.
2 of my riding buddy's use the 100 and the 110 versions and have never complained about the stems in any way..
I have a lot of extralite parts on my road bike including 2 wheel sets and have yet to break a thing

kac

by kac

I have a 100mm Extralite OD road stem on my Parlee (with Zipp Contour SL bars) and I've had absolutely no problems whatsoever with it over the last year of use. Flex is minimal. My only (minor) complaint relates to the torque specifications for the titanium bolts: different values were listed on the web site and on the enclosed (printed) instructions. I wrote to Extralite and received a prompt reply: use the higher torque value. While my bars slipped at the lower torque, I've had no problems since that time. A very nice, light and well-finished stem (purchased from FWB, by the way!).

KAC

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Jeebus these stems are light :O

veloruche

by veloruche

I'm glad you posted this I was just looking at this stem from FWB, I plan to use the Zipp SL handlebars also. What was Nm used?

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Mine is also paired with a Zipp SL in 44cm (o to o), traditional bend not that it makes any difference.

From memory I installed it with 5Nm torque and with carbon paste.

As stated above, no issues.

Privateer

by Privateer

I have a 120 with an Ergosum, which has a longer reach than the Ergonova.

I've never had a problem, and I've not noticed any flex (I'm 72kgs).

excremanwu

by excremanwu

mnmasotto wrote:....there is some flex when pounding hard on the hoods going up hills but never any issues.....

me too~ :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com