3rd party chainring compatibility for campag 2011-2012??

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
ianeire

by ianeire

Evening all, this thread popped up in a google search.

I've been trying to fit a Stronglight CT2 Type D to an Athena11 five-bolt crankset this evening, matching it with a Campag 39t inner. Unfortunately the Campag chainring bolts don't seem to be able to close enough to pull the 39&53 tight against the crankset arms. If I put back on the worn Campag 53 I can tighten everything down, no problem.

Has anyone encountered similar? Do I need shorter chainring bolts and if so could someone point me to which ones?

by Weenie

colster

by colster

I run 52/36 Rotor Q Rings on a 2013 SR UT crank, using 4 crank bolts supplied by Rotor + the Campag bolt that threads into the crankarm. The Rotor bolts are a little flimsy, but the rings are solid and shift just about as good as SR rings.

Haven't checked if Rotor make rings for pre-2013 UT cranks as well...

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

I've just fitted a 50T Nerius ring and a 39T Nerius ring to my 2012 Campagnolo Chorus compact crank, using the TA Specialites chainring bolts. FYI: TA now includes two types of crankarm-bolts. One for pre 2011 cranks and one for post 2011 cranks. They also provide a 0,5 mm spacer which should be installed when using a TA outer ring (which I did).

Installing the whole thing was a breeze, but upon close inspection I can see that the big ring has a small wobble. It wobbles out exactly where the crank arm is. This leads me to believe that the bolt behind the crank arm is a bit too long. When I torque it up, it pushes the big ring out by some degree. I switched to the original Campagnolo bolt but it gives the same problems. The crank is perfectly functional. No noise and shifts are crisp. But I don't like that wobble.

Is anyone experiencing the same problems and have you found a solution to this? Or is this the price I pay for not using original Campagnolo stuff?

neeb

by neeb

Sjoerd wrote:I've just fitted a 50T Nerius ring and a 39T Nerius ring to my 2012 Campagnolo Chorus compact crank, using the TA Specialites chainring bolts. FYI: TA now includes two types of crankarm-bolts. One for pre 2011 cranks and one for post 2011 cranks. They also provide a 0,5 mm spacer which should be installed when using a TA outer ring (which I did).

Installing the whole thing was a breeze, but upon close inspection I can see that the big ring has a small wobble. It wobbles out exactly where the crank arm is. This leads me to believe that the bolt behind the crank arm is a bit too long. When I torque it up, it pushes the big ring out by some degree. I switched to the original Campagnolo bolt but it gives the same problems. The crank is perfectly functional. No noise and shifts are crisp. But I don't like that wobble.

Is anyone experiencing the same problems and have you found a solution to this? Or is this the price I pay for not using original Campagnolo stuff?

Sounds like a spacing issue - have you tried omitting the spacer?

At the end of the day there are so many different combinations possible with 3rd party parts and the continual campy upgrades/modifications that sometimes you just need to ignore the instructions and go with what works. Fiddle with washer and bolt combinations on the crank arm bolt until there's no wobble.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

If it wobbles out then I'd think you either lost the stock spacer, or need a thicker one. It goes between the ring and the hidden bolt boss. It could still be stuck to your old ring?
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

Thanks for the replies!

I used the original Campagnolo spacer-ring (silver colour, a couple of mm thick) and the 0,5 mm spacer that TA delivers with their outer rings. They say you need to install this between the crank and the outer ring. Eveything is nice 'n tight and the pin against over shifting isn't touching the crank arm.

I decided to loosen all the bolts again and the wobble is gone. Then I torqued the four regular bolts up to spec and very gently started to torque the hidden bolt behind the crank arm. The wobble starts appearing when I go over 3nm. Took the bike out for a 60 mile ride yesterday and lost no parts en route. Also, the chainring seems to have lost its wobble and shifting is still crisp. I will hoewever aquire a nice collection of washers / spacers to see if I can eliminate the wobble when I torque the bolt up to 5nm.

Maybe I am just a bit too fussy over this :oops:

[edited for typo]
Last edited by Sjoerd on Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I'm pretty sure that the standard setup includes both a thick and very thin spacer at the hidden bolt. The parts catalog does not show the thin one. So with the TA ring which is 0.5mm thinner than the stock campy one you'll need 2 - 0.5 mm spacers plus the thick one.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

Thanks Julio, I'll try to source an extra spacer then.

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

Time to bring up this relatively old topic. I eventually found a plastic ring that evened out the difference to an acceptable level. The 50-39 combo is perfect for 99% of my riding days so I was happy and I thought I had things figured out. But this weekend I encountered a problem and I am trying to rule out some things. I hope you can be of some help.

I installed a new cassette (Campagnolo Chorus 12-25) this weekend. The old one (Campagnolo Chorus 12-27) has barely 2000 km's on it. Therefor I didn't fit a new chain. It turns out the chain (and probably the old cassette) are completely worn out. Terrible grinding noises coming from the rear.

Is anyone here experiencing extreme chainwear with the TA Specialites Nerius 11 speed chainrings?

Or could it be that I rode with a chain that is too short? I lenghtened the chain for a 36T inner ring but I was lazy and after 75 km's on this ring, I swapped to a 39T inner ring without changing out the chain for a longer one.

Thanks!

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

Time to kick this topic again in hoping to receive some information :oops:

I just measured my chain with venier calipers while it was on the bike (appr. gear 39 x 17) and to my surprise the chain is still within the specs that Campagnolo state in their manuals. It measures at 132.4 mm between six links. It runs completely fine, smooth and silent in combination with my 12-27 cassette but makes horrible noises with a new 12-25 cassette.

What might I be overlooking here?