An explanation on Ciamillo Brakes performance disparity.

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
ZeroG
in the industry

by ZeroG

Nice Sugarkane.. did you order the wide cam yet? If not send me your address.

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

Ciamillo, please respond to my pm.

williamsf1

by williamsf1

Question to ZeroG and also Sugarkane...

If I run the brake with the low profile holders and no spacer, is this ok?

As obviously that's alloy holder tightened up on to carbon arm...

This is my concern, as I don't want to do anything to damage the arm.

These Brakes have the wide cam fitted...

Just wish that there was clear instructions on your website...

Yes they are amazingly well made, but please make using them an enjoyable experience too....

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

williamsf1 wrote:Question to ZeroG and also Sugarkane...

If I run the brake with the low profile holders and no spacer, is this ok?

As obviously that's alloy holder tightened up on to carbon arm...

This is my concern, as I don't want to do anything to damage the arm.

These Brakes have the wide cam fitted...

Just wish that there was clear instructions on your website...

Yes they are amazingly well made, but please make using them an enjoyable experience too....

Should totally work with out drama. The spacer isn't there to protect the carbon arm it's there to space the pads in to suit the rims your using.
What wheel set are you using?

williamsf1

by williamsf1

Yeah I just didnt want to tighten up the allen bolt on the pad holder (any idea on torque setting??) crushing the carbon as the pad holder (alloy) isn't a flat surface, and didnt want to load it up and damage it....

the rims are the ENVE 6.7 which are 26mm from and 24mm rear (wide) the rear is the important one, as you need to run them wider to keep clearance...

If both you an ZG say its ok to run without the pictured spacer, that is good!!!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7014/6754 ... 5f11_z.jpg
you can see the little black spacer above the superlow profile pad holder....

I wish we had clear instructions online I tell you!!!!

amazing quality! but not user friendly....

please make some youtube vids ;) ZG!!!!!

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

williamsf1 wrote:Yeah I just didnt want to tighten up the allen bolt on the pad holder (any idea on torque setting??) crushing the carbon as the pad holder (alloy) isn't a flat surface, and didnt want to load it up and damage it....

the rims are the ENVE 6.7 which are 26mm from and 24mm rear (wide) the rear is the important one, as you need to run them wider to keep clearance...

If both you an ZG say its ok to run without the pictured spacer, that is good!!!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7014/6754 ... 5f11_z.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
you can see the little black spacer above the superlow profile pad holder....

I wish we had clear instructions online I tell you!!!!

amazing quality! but not user friendly....

please make some youtube vids ;) ZG!!!!!

Is that washer flat on the back??
That's totally not good if it is..
The Ciamillo brakes all have a curved surface inside the brake arms that mates up with the curve on the back of the brake shoes, with the smart rims I'd totally just run the wide cam no spacers
I have 1.45 rims on my bike and use the std cam, Lo pro holders no spacers
I woundn't worry about the lack of spacer/damaging the brakes arm thing. The alloy pad holder is a softer metal than the steel washer anyway.

As far as torque settings go.... I always use enough torque to stop te holder moving and no more...
If your worried about it though for a bolt that diameter 4-5 nm is enough.. Use the lowest amount you can get away with and make sure you use Ti prep on those bolts dissimilar metal galvanization Is a very expensive mistake on a set of brakes worth $900 :)

They sure are pretty
God I'm using 2010 neg gravity Ti's not even a set of GSL brakes
Such heavy brakes in the current WW market!!

williamsf1

by williamsf1

Untitled by aussie_pilot, on Flickr
note the carbon surface isn't curved on the inside, its flat.....

better picture of the washer, note that with it, its flat surface/flat surface as you do up the bolt....

this is my concern, but it sounds like you don't have these brakes? :? :? :?

williamsf1

by williamsf1

ok time for ZG to step up to the plate in your American speak ;)

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

williamsf1 wrote:Image
note the carbon surface isn't curved on the inside, its flat.....

better picture of the washer, note that with it, its flat surface/flat surface as you do up the bolt....

this is my concern, but it sounds like you don't have these brakes? :? :? :?

Ahh I see what you mean. Yea you should run that washer it spreads the load caused by the bolt over a bigger surface area... I replaced the steel ones on my brakes with nice Ti ones.. I like those nice Ti torx head bolts very pretty!

williamsf1

by williamsf1

ZeroG ideas????

williamsf1

by williamsf1

I sure hope he replies soon!!!!

ZeroG
in the industry

by ZeroG

Hi .. sorry for the delay.. it is okay to run the padholders without the single-sided spherical washers. Gravitas went the first first year of production without them with no problems. You will have adequate fastening torque at 60 in-lbs. You may need to put a washer under the head of the torx bolt to keep it from bulging the pad.

Please call for further explanation (706-757-2414).. for some reason, I am not getting notified of activity on my threads anymore and I don't check WW that often. In fact, thanks to two members WW who sent me emails, I am now responding.

Thanks,
Ted Ciamillo

Gold Knight

by Gold Knight

Ted--how many Gravitas SL (the drilled out ones) calipers have you produced. They are not on your website--just curious. I actually have a pair of SL Gravitas, but was wondering if they will be a limited production
:smartass: DO NOT RIDE AN AX-LIGHTNESS FORK :smartass:

williamsf1

by williamsf1

ZeroG wrote:Hi .. sorry for the delay.. it is okay to run the padholders without the single-sided spherical washers. Gravitas went the first first year of production without them with no problems. You will have adequate fastening torque at 60 in-lbs. You may need to put a washer under the head of the torx bolt to keep it from bulging the pad.

Please call for further explanation (706-757-2414).. for some reason, I am not getting notified of activity on my threads anymore and I don't check WW that often. In fact, thanks to two members WW who sent me emails, I am now responding.

Thanks,
Ted Ciamillo

Awesome!

Thanks Ted.... I just didn't want to kill them :shock: :shock: and whenever I tried to call its always too late or early! (from here in OZ)

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

Ciamillo, when are you going to reply to my repeated inquiries? 4 emails, 3 phone messages and 1 PM. I own three pair of your brakes and you can't issue a simple refund after you already apporved it? Where is the customer service? No replies since November!