Falco Bike Design Diary -- jersey and bibs out...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

NGMN

by NGMN

MajorMantra wrote:
BrianAllan wrote:Looks great.

Roughly my size too ...

+1 Hmmmm... maybe just a frame size run for WW, haha.

Seriously though, this has been an awesome project to watch unfold.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

elviento wrote:2. The modest branding model but online sales only -- need to run some ads, try to set up some test rides with a few magazines here and there, give out a few free samples, maybe sponsor a smaller local team, at least get some racing feedback and local exposure. This model, I can probably manage. Pricing will probably be similar to Ritte and NEO, etc., if not slightly higher. I believe Canyon started this way although they are one of the big boys now.

I like this one. I think you could sell it for a decent price. It's a very nice looking frame IMO.

I'd advise getting the 53cm frame under a few riders. Work out the kinks, fix the flaws, etc. Sort of a prototype phase. Charge for it, but warranty against any problems. You aren't looking to make money here, just perfect the design. Then you'll be ready to do the whole deal. Good service and attention to detail will sell a bunch of bikes. You don't need to spend money on advertising.

Chiva

by Chiva

I like your bike. Looks good. I would by one if it were in my size.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

a quick question:
have you thought about having both the rear brake cable and rear derailleur cable enter the same side of the head tube? it kind of bothers me that one type of cable is expected to stay on one side but the other type is supposed to go around. if you put both rear cables to the left of the head tube, it would be nice to have the front derailleur cable enter the right side, to keep things consistent. having them all swing around will make routing on future smaller sizes much smoother as well.
this question turned out to be not-so-quick.

elviento

by elviento

Well, cool thought, unfortunately that won't work, because they both enter high on the head tube, so one on each side, unless I put two holes together.

On a related note: on my Proto 1 (the 12K one) put brake cable on the left and rear shift cable on the right. On Proto 2 I reversed it to see if it would work better. Here is a comparison. You can tell by the thickness of the cables.

I think Proto 1 makes more sense after the try...
Attachments
Falco Front Old.JPG
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

i see what you mean. id recommend making the housing stops deeper if possible. especially ones at the head tube, with shallow stops and tight routing the housings can pry their way out partway, creating an angle at the stops, causing friction, etc. id make the stops at least as deep as the housing end cap.

adriano

by adriano

i really like the ud compared to the 12k.

micky

by micky

Nice bikes at Shanghai bike expo. :beerchug:

bones

by bones

How much did it cost to get a mold made up?

bones

by bones

So, how much did it cost for the mold?

elviento

by elviento

Where did you pull those up?

So what the heck, here are some additional pics for your review. Still thinking about new graphics but just didn't have time for that.

Wanted to try a light-ish bike but ended up with 4.95kg, so...

The ti bike has an ISP and also the signature routing for the rear shifting cable.

BONES -- the moulds cost anywhere from 10K to 20K USD for 1 size depending on who you ask.

[quote="micky"]Nice bikes at Shanghai bike expo. :beerchug:
Attachments
Falco Show1.JPG
Falco Sho2.JPG
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com

barlo

by barlo

Fantastic work here!

Now you just need one with 135mm rear spacing and disc brake mounting ... :shock:

bones

by bones

barlo wrote:Fantastic work here!

Now you just need one with 135mm rear spacing and disc brake mounting ... :shock:

I agree completely. There are tons of carbon frames everywhere you look, but a carbon disc road frame? Now, that would be hot! And no, I'm not talking about a carbon cyclocross disc bike. I'm talking about a true bonafide carbon disc road bike like the Colnago that was on display at this year's Taipei bike show. That is the future and I want it now.

elviento

by elviento

Well, if we can get enough people to sign up, I'd be most happy to do a run on a road disk model.
www.falcobike.com

elviento

by elviento

Here are some pictures of the titanium bike I built.

Interesting enough to make Michael Pryde come by my booth 3 times during the Shanghai Bike Show...
Attachments
20120501_7a900033817459c01a91jDbOdCdhIbjl.jpg
20120501_33d9619156a9a60406b36v7pEERmSTuS.jpg
20120501_34821a358d36671c9b60QtmUh3gduIog.jpg
20120501_c5005c6f69f45373bce4fsuBx7hABZKS.jpg
20120501_2e5abd7acd0ca1a77a11DBtzK0TwRSfs.jpg
www.falcobike.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com