Campagnolo PF30 Adapter Issues

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

LionelB wrote:I have this shitty adaptor and it just does not work with campy cranks.

I was just discussing that exact problem over on RBR. SRAM crank spindles are 24mm. Campy are 25mm.

If someone was to run a regular 1" (25.4mm) drill bit through the thing it might just work for campy too.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LionelB

by LionelB

bikerjulio wrote:
LionelB wrote:I have this shitty adaptor and it just does not work with campy cranks.

I was just discussing that exact problem over on RBR. SRAM crank spindles are 24mm. Campy are 25mm.

If someone was to run a regular 1" (25.4mm) drill bit through the thing it might just work for campy too.

I actually did that so that the spindle goes thru. Still the bearings were binding.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

LionelB wrote:
bikerjulio wrote:

I actually did that so that the spindle goes thru. Still the bearings were binding.

Sorry to hear that. My only other thought was the the shape of the adapter wasn't totally compatible with the Campy cups, preventing them from seating properly. You would have to measure the whole thing with the cups installed should be 95mm =/- 0.8mm. Also of course everything has to be nice and straight.

One.

LionelB

by LionelB

bikerjulio wrote:
LionelB wrote:
bikerjulio wrote:

Sorry to hear that. My only other thought was the the shape of the adapter wasn't totally compatible with the Campy cups, preventing them from seating properly. You would have to measure the whole thing with the cups installed should be 95mm =/- 0.8mm. Also of course everything has to be nice and straight.

I moved on, my frame was modified permanently to take a threaded BB.

Permon

by Permon

LionelB wrote:
bikerjulio wrote:
LionelB wrote:
bikerjulio wrote:

I moved on, my frame was modified permanently to take a threaded BB.

What frame?
How?

LionelB

by LionelB

My Crumpton SL. Two carbon spacers with a Ti threaded BB. Nick did the work. Done.

Permon

by Permon

Hi,

so the adaptor is ready. See the picture.
The contact area is approx. 3times larger than the Campa cup has.....so, I decided to intall it without Loctite :idea:

Well, despite of the large contact area the cup is traveling out again! Not that much, but still :roll:
I really do not understand all of this situation. The original Campa cup and also the mine are really nice tight fits with the frame.

I have already took mine adaptor out of the frame and I could feel that the fit was really tight. Nice.
Which make it even harder to understand the issue.

I am not sure if I am going to try Loctite procedure again..... I am thinking about stripping the frame and sending it away. But when I consider the nice tight fit, I am not sure if a new frame will help. I just do not think so :x

To me, it seems like the problem is the stupid Campagnolo UT system with the wave washer - it just does not work with press fit systems :roll:
I think that other crankset system would be OK on my frame, BUT I like the Campa cranks. I ve been using them from 2006 and they always worked nice.

P.S. what about facing the BB? I cannot imagine how to face press fit BB? Does anybody know any tool for this?
Attachments
WP_000283.jpg
WP_000274.jpg
WP_000280.jpg
WP_000292.jpg
WP_000298.jpg

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

I really like what you came up with.
Loctite should be mandatory, for a couple reasons. First, it'll hold the cup. Second, you want something between bare aluminum and bare carbon, or it will galvanically corrode.
Good luck.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Permon wrote:P.S. what about facing the BB? I cannot imagine how to face press fit BB? Does anybody know any tool for this?

I think this is the isssue. The faces of the BB shell are not exactly perpendicular to one another or are not exactly flat enough. With PF plastic adapters these imperfections are overcome because the material is maleable, but not so with the Campag ones made of aluminium - there is no 'give' in the material. I think the axle is forcing the cups to orient themselves to one another (not the BB faces), and this is what is causing the adapters to work loose.

The point is, is that a PF bb shell should not need facing and attempting to do so would be a bad idea. A surefire way, in fact, of voiding the warranty. Having followed this thread others have stated that there are available (or will be soon) Campagnolo-pattern PF adapters made of plastic/similar material from other sources. Someone mentioned from Parlee?

micropox

by micropox

Permon wrote:
dayne wrote:Today i installed the new Specialized campy kit,
You remove the campy bearings,
Push specialized bearings into the frame cup,
Then install the new spec kit cup's then put in the cranks and do them up.
So far so good, lets see how 100k tomorrow goes.

Any pictures?
Thank You.

Just installed mine. Looks nice and clean. Test rode it for only a couple of hours. Did a lot of standing to check if there's creaking. So far so good. Will keep you posted on long term feedback.

One thing I discovered. Axle diameter size of Campy ultra-torque cranks are inconsistent. The adapter is a fraction of millimeter too tight and wont fit my record 10 speed standard cranks. On my chorus 10 spd standard standard cranks, left adapter won't fit. But fits perfectly on another chorus and record 10 speed compacts cranks. It also fits nicely on a couple of 11 spd super record cranks we tried. In the end, brought the adapter to a machine shop to do slight milling. Now, the adapter fits perfectly on my cranks. Just a fraction of a millimeter milled.

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/8861/img6183ib.jpg
http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/7600/img6181ew.jpg

Valbrona

by Valbrona

I am guessing the 'Campy Specialized kit' you have used is for Specialized OSBB and not PF30.

http://wheelsmfg.com/products/bottom-br ... ers.html#2

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

The specialized kit should work with any bb30 frame, and if the adapter OD is not larger than 42mm, it would work with any pf30 frame too.

Permon

by Permon

thisisatest wrote:The specialized kit should work with any bb30 frame, and if the adapter OD is not larger than 42mm, it would work with any pf30 frame too.

PF30 has OD 46mm.....(?)
Not sure about it, but BBright has OD46mm.

Valbrona

by Valbrona

This geezer is installing Ultra-Torue into traditional-pattern BB shells without the wavy washer: http://roguemechanic.typepad.com/roguem ... pdate.html

It is said that shim kits for BB30 and PF30 are in the pipeline.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Specialized adds to the confusion by having two flavors of OSBB http://service.specialized.com/asc/Content/Tech%20Pubs/Technical%20Bulletins/TBCG0318_rd_crank_combined_revB.pdf

Carbon OSBB has a shell width of 61mm (ie non standard) along with a 46mm ID.

So, I take from this that their inserts are not standard PF30. They are unique to Spec.

One.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com