A warning on Chinarellos

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

User avatar
elviento
Posts: 1199
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:09 pm
Location: In the industry
Contact:

by elviento

I know the previous topic was locked and apologies if this is seen as redundant.

Approx. 5-7 manufacturing facilities are cranking out fake Pinarellos in southern China. Based on a very reliable source, several of them are systematically adding layers of fiber glass in the carbon layup, purely to save cost.

Many of you have seen the horror photos of broken steerers and smashed faces. It's not a matter of poor QC, but more a matter of systematically making unsafe products just to save a few bucks.

While many manfacturers in China are making good quality products (who are hurt by these incidents as well), it's probably best to stay away from these Chinarellos altogether.
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

LionelB
Posts: 1595
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:09 pm
Location: Aix en Provence

by LionelB

Yeah, it's not like it's a fake Chanel purse. You do not take a purse to descent Mont Ventoux at 80km/h.

Why would anyone buy those beats me but I guess they do if 5 factories are pumping them out as you say. :noidea:

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



User avatar
rc32
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:40 pm
Location: Here during the week, home on the weekends

by rc32

elviento wrote:I know the previous topic was locked and apologies if this is seen as redundant.

Approx. 5-7 manufacturing facilities are cranking out fake Pinarellos in southern China. Based on a very reliable source, several of them are systematically adding layers of fiber glass in the carbon layup, purely to save cost.

Many of you have seen the horror photos of broken steerers and smashed faces.
It's not a matter of poor QC, but more a matter of systematically making unsafe products just to save a few bucks.

While many manfacturers in China are making good quality products (who are hurt by these incidents as well), it's probably best to stay away from these Chinarellos altogether.


Elviento...thanks for bringing this to people's attention, for whatever reason. However, I would like to see the above mentioned bold statement quantified beyond the 2-3 pictures that have been recycled on the other thread and by the manufacturer in its communications to its dealers. Yes, we have seen the broken steerers (all 3 of them), but that's out of how many hundreds , if not thousands of Chinarellos made? I've seen my share of broken steerers on Treks (High end Madones, mind you), Scott (high end Addicts here too), QC issues with Cervelo (a lot to even mention), and even (gasp!) original Pinarellos! So, do you think that the failure rate for these is equal, lower or higher than for the brand name frames?

I, for one, think that if there was such an excess of broken steerers, frames, etc. there would be a LOT more evidence out there. People LOVE to complain, so whenever people feel that they've been wronged they will put it out there for people to see. Heck, I've seen threads started by people who complain that $3 is too much to pay for a tube and then go on bad mouthing their LBS...and that's for a frickin tube!!! Again, I would expect there to be mountains of evidence out there of damaged product. MOst of the Chinese complaints I've seen have been about paint that the people didn't like,or a misaligned cable guide or something like that. Oh wait, there IS the guy that sanded down the fork crown to make the crown race fit since he couldn't figure out that the crown race is press-fit. Of course his fork failed, with all the carbon he removed...

User avatar
strobbekoen
Posts: 4426
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 6:24 pm
Location: BELGIUM

by strobbekoen

It doesn't matter to quantify the number of broken frames.
Point is, it's a fake, it's illegal and if you are dumb enough to buy one, you take a huge risk. In fact, you risk your life.
Period.

billspreston
Posts: 351
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:40 pm
Location: CA

by billspreston

C'mon the Chinarellos are crap and you know it. Crap construction with junk materials putting riders at risk for no reason other than profits. Counterfeiters don't care about how their products perform, only how they look on the superficial layer.

- How many people that own a Chinarello post in online forums to share such evidence, let alone weightweenies?
- How many frames do you think Cervelo/Trek/Specialized et al has sold in comparison to said Chinarellos?
- Would you personally ride one of these frames down a mountain @ 40+ mph?

VTBike
Posts: 383
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 8:14 pm

by VTBike

I think Elviento and RC32 both have very valid points. I think its great to have a thread where both sides are argued, then people can make their own decisions. If people read this, and still choose to buy a Chinarello - well, there is no one to blame if it fails, and at least the info was out there to say "hey, that may not be a great idea."

Personally, no amount of dollar savings is worth it to me to put myself at such risk... but to each, their own.

sfo423
Posts: 737
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:12 pm
Location: San Francisco

by sfo423

elviento wrote:People LOVE to complain, so whenever people feel that they've been wronged they will put it out there for people to see. Heck, I've seen threads started by people who complain that $3 is too much to pay for a tube and then go on bad mouthing their LBS...and that's for a frickin tube!!!


Ummm...on this forum that is standard operating procedure for people (allegedly) wronged by the viscous, evil wheel builders of the world. :lol:

User avatar
ergott
Posts: 2870
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:03 am
Location: Islip, NY
Contact:

by ergott

strobbekoen wrote:It doesn't matter to quantify the number of broken frames.
Point is, it's a fake, it's illegal and if you are dumb enough to buy one, you take a huge risk. In fact, you risk your life.
Period.


Worse, they can take out other riders along with them.

I'll stay away (far away) thanks.

-Eric

NJBiker72
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:43 am

by NJBiker72

Having been a golfer before a biker, I saw plenty of knock offs and clones.

The knock off fake clubs I would not touch.

The clones - i.e., looks and performs like name brand - were often very good. As good as the brand. In fact one clone company had far better service with a failure than a certain big brand I dealt with.

If you buy for performance and cost fine. But chances if you are buying for a look without regards to quality then you are likely to get fake junk.

With a golf club that can mean a flubbed shot. With a bike it can mean your life.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru
Posts: 5905
Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 2:20 am
Location: Belgium

by fdegrove

Hi,

VTBike wrote:I think Elviento and RC32 both have very valid points. I think its great to have a thread where both sides are argued, then people can make their own decisions. If people read this, and still choose to buy a Chinarello - well, there is no one to blame if it fails, and at least the info was out there to say "hey, that may not be a great idea."

Personally, no amount of dollar savings is worth it to me to put myself at such risk... but to each, their own.


Old generation speaking here.
You guys seems to be accepting life-endangering criminal acts as part and parcel of your life. Why you accept this is beyond me but philosophical thoughts put aside, the whole idea/notion is such a scam that no one should be raising the question of hearing what "the other side" has to say.

This simply should not exist. Basta.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

User avatar
USofChay
Posts: 411
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 11:24 pm

by USofChay

Thanks for the topic, I appreciate the expertise you lend in this area and will take your advice into account. I think that one thing that would benefit others is your knowledge of chinese carbon manufacturers putting out relatively high quality and safe products.

Vee
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 1:02 am

by Vee

Almost all carbon road bikes are made in China now, right? I wouldn't doubt that some factories are worse than others, but what about factories manufacturing open mold frames like the ones Pedal Force, Ritte, and many other small brands use? Are you suggesting that we should only buy top brand bikes because we somehow are assured that the resistence to breakage is higher?

Like I said, I don't doubt shady practices do go on, but the evidence doesn't seem to back up the claims that these bikes are any less sturdy than branded carbon.

thechad
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:13 pm

by thechad

Sorry if this is redundant as well...but is there a link to some information on how to identify these...beyond prices that seem to good to be true?

Thanks!

VTBike
Posts: 383
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 8:14 pm

by VTBike

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

VTBike wrote:I think Elviento and RC32 both have very valid points. I think its great to have a thread where both sides are argued, then people can make their own decisions. If people read this, and still choose to buy a Chinarello - well, there is no one to blame if it fails, and at least the info was out there to say "hey, that may not be a great idea."

Personally, no amount of dollar savings is worth it to me to put myself at such risk... but to each, their own.


Old generation speaking here.
You guys seems to be accepting life-endangering criminal acts as part and parcel of your life. Why you accept this is beyond me but philosophical thoughts put aside, the whole idea/notion is such a scam that no one should be raising the question of hearing what "the other side" has to say.

This simply should not exist. Basta.

Ciao, ;)


Well, I think you are muddying the topics here.. If we are talking about "should these people buy illegal re-branded bikes, which cost Pinarello money, and are a copyright infringement".. Then my answer is no, its illegal.. I would never recommend it. I think that is what you are getting at.

If the question is "should I save a few bucks by purchasing a re-branded chinese made carbon frame, in which they could slap any sticker on they wanted -- Pinarello, Bianchi, Cannondale.." Then my answer is still to each their own. I wouldn't do it, I think its foolish.

Now, I suppose the real question is -- take those Chinarello frames and take all the branding off.. So now its a no-name carbon frame, that has the same geometry as a Pinarello (I assume).. Would anyone buy it now?

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



2002SaecoReplica
Posts: 1925
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:02 pm
Location: Getting dropped

by 2002SaecoReplica

Vee wrote:Almost all carbon road bikes are made in China now, right? I wouldn't doubt that some factories are worse than others, but what about factories manufacturing open mold frames like the ones Pedal Force, Ritte, and many other small brands use? Are you suggesting that we should only buy top brand bikes because we somehow are assured that the resistence to breakage is higher?

Like I said, I don't doubt shady practices do go on, but the evidence doesn't seem to back up the claims that these bikes are any less sturdy than branded carbon.


The country in which they are made isn't so much the issue as it is the evident fraud of it all.

Ritte, as an example, is extremely up front with what they are doing. They just come right out and tell you on their website what name of the guy in Asia who designs their bikes, where they are made, and how they are made. There isn't anything shady about what they're doing at all. The consumer knows, up front and in plain text, what exactly it is they are buying. The fake Pinarello's are literally a question mark as to who makes them, where they're made, what carbon is actually used in them, and what kind of quality control goes on, if any. That's the point attempting to be made here.
- Zipp rims will break if you look at them too hard
- R-Sys wheels will spontaneously explode
- The ZG crankset will never, ever exist
- Everyone needs Lightweights, even if they're fat and old
- Parts actually made of metal are SO 10 years ago

Post Reply