Chinese carbon time trial frames

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Hexsense

by Hexsense

none wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:08 pm
Hexsense wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:47 pm
From review
"XSHIFTER tells us battery life is thousands of shifts between charges"
uhm, not a long lasting battery then.
Again, without trying the Xshifter for yourself, do you honestly know that the battery doesn't last long for certain?
If I had to shift 570 times on a single ride, I'd move elsewhere to find better riding. :mrgreen:

How big is the Di2 battery physically? & how much does it weigh?

No need to be super defensive to your purchasing choice.
No need to act like you are the brand ambassador for the product.

My info mentioned is quoting XSHIFTER themself from your provided link. If what they said is not accurate then what can i trust? If only they just say it's ten thousands of shift, rather than just thousands...
Opposite of your preference, where i live is too flat. It actually take 1.5 hours drive to get to place where i can start the enjoyable ride with lots of rolling hill. When i use mech shifters i easily shift 3 time less than i do now. It's just so much easier to keep cadence and power near constant and change gear to suite the terrain on electronic gears. Also, it count 1 cog change as one shift.
Roll to top of the hill, from very easy gear to gear for fast descending, that's easily 7 shifts or more. 570 shifts doesn't sound excessive. Di2 battery shape like a long highlight pen that easily fit in seatpost. It weight 59g. Battery last longer when most of the communication is on wire. Wireless unit on di2 can have low polling rate just enough to tell bike computer after the shift already happen. It can delay for a second or so without effecting performance. Unlike high polling rate instant react wireless communication for shifting.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

none

by none

Hexsense wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:45 pm
No need to be super defensive to your purchasing choice.
No need to act like you are the brand ambassador for the product.
No need to make baseless speculation without even using the product yourself either.
To claim that its battery has short life without any usage seems unfair to say the least.
Hexsense wrote:
My info mentioned is quoting XSHIFTER themself from your provided link. If what they said is not accurate then what can i trust?
Where did you read that the system has "not a long lasting batter" specifically as you claimed??
Hexsense wrote:
Opposite of your preference, where i live is too flat. It actually take 1.5 hours drive to get to place where i can start the enjoyable ride with lots of rolling hill.
Seems to me you chose a poor place to live if you have to drive 1.5 hr to get to a decent bicycle ride. :mrgreen:
I just ride from my driveway and can find flats, rolling hills, curves, dirt/gravel trails, all types of different kind of cycling, all within 10 mile radius.
Don't even need to load up my bike or get into my car for a good bike ride.
Hexsense wrote:
When i use mech shifters i easily shift 3 time less than i do now. It's just so much easier to keep cadence and power near constant and change gear to suite the terrain on electronic gears. Also, it count 1 cog change as one shift.
Roll to top of the hill, from very easy gear to gear for fast descending, that's easily 7 shifts or more. 570 shifts doesn't sound excessive. Di2 battery shape like a long highlight pen that easily fit in seatpost. It weight 59g. Battery last longer when most of the communication is on wire. Wireless unit on di2 can have low polling rate just enough to tell bike computer after the shift already happen. It can delay for a second or so without effecting performance. Unlike high polling rate instant react wireless communication for shifting.
Battery pack for the Xshifter is less than 39gm, total package weigh less than 350 gm.
Once I install the system and get a feel how it performs... then I will be able to tell you how well teh battery lasts, without speculation.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

To make it simple without going further more off rail from topic.
I apologize then.

"XSHIFTER tells us battery life is thousands of shifts between charges"
That's the quote. To me, just thousands (which imply few thousands, and not ten thousands) of shift between charges instead of ten thousands of shift between charges isn't great. Definitely isn't in league of Di2 that last months (or a year for some people that don't shift much). What if thousands they mean 2 thousands, that's just less than 4 rides for me per charge.

My place has multiple group rides from easy to cat 3 race simulation, within 5 miles. But it's just that the terrain is flat. To get to hill i have to drive. This is just the response to you that saying if i need to shift 570 times in a ride i should move to better place for riding. It's opposite. My place is too flat. I have to drive to get to ride with hills.

Again, let this settle down. Let us know how it perform.
Last edited by Hexsense on Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

none

by none

Hexsense wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:29 pm
"XSHIFTER battery life is thousands of shifts between charges"
That's the quote. To me, just thousands (which imply few thousands, and not ten thousands) of shift between charges instead of ten thousands of shift between charges isn't great. Definitely isn't in league of Di2 that last months (or a year for some people that don't shift much). What if thousands they mean 2 thousands, that's just less than 4 rides for me per charge.

My place has multiple group rides from easy to cat 3 race simulation, within 5 miles. But it's just that the terrain is flat. To get to hill i have to drive. This is just the response to you that saying if i need to shift 570 times in a ride i should move to better place for riding. It's opposite. My place is too flat. I have to drive to get to ride with hills.

Again, let this settle down. Let us know how it perform.
Yes, let's allow some usage of the actual product before making baseless claims about it.

BmanX

by BmanX

Would like to hear more about the build.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

So there is a motor that is zip-tied to the chainstay or seatstay. You clamp a shortened derailleur cable into this motor. There is an enormous square shift button that you clamp somewhere near the shifter (on a road bike) or in the cockpit area of a TT bike. Do I have this right so far? The wireless shift button actuates the zip-tied motor on your chainstay which pushes or pulls a derailleur cable to move your rear derailleur? From what I gather, they haven't figured out the front shifting yet, so it's either bad-ass wireless 1x, or bad-ass wireless rear derailleur, and mechanical front derailleur? I can't even begin to describe how ridiculous this sounds to me. What is the point? What is the benefit? Just to say you have wireless? I'm guessing it can be helpful for complicated or all hidden cable routing, but if you are putting this on a madone or TT bike or something, it is going to look really foolish.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

BmanX

by BmanX

For MTBs this is a good system and I like how it is done. For Road and TT/TRI I do not believe they are there yet.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

none

by none

wheelbuilder wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:52 am
So there is a motor that is zip-tied to the chainstay or seatstay. You clamp a shortened derailleur cable into this motor. There is an enormous square shift button that you clamp somewhere near the shifter (on a road bike) or in the cockpit area of a TT bike. Do I have this right so far? The wireless shift button actuates the zip-tied motor on your chainstay which pushes or pulls a derailleur cable to move your rear derailleur? From what I gather, they haven't figured out the front shifting yet, so it's either bad-ass wireless 1x, or bad-ass wireless rear derailleur, and mechanical front derailleur? I can't even begin to describe how ridiculous this sounds to me. What is the point? What is the benefit? Just to say you have wireless? I'm guessing it can be helpful for complicated or all hidden cable routing, but if you are putting this on a madone or TT bike or something, it is going to look really foolish.
Nobody asked you to describe what you can't imagine of its usefulness.
If you've never seen the system in person or know how it works, stop pretending that you would understand why others may want to use it.

Yes, the system does eliminate complicated handlebar/stem/frame internal cable routing, that's why I'm trying it out, however ridiculous or foolish you may think it would look.
The system I have does not have huge square button, but micro buttons, allow multiple locations to control the cable actuator, one at the end of aerobar extension, another next to rear brake lever.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

none wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:09 am
wheelbuilder wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:52 am
Nobody asked you to describe what you can't imagine of its usefulness.
If you've never seen the system in person or know how it works, stop pretending that you would understand why others may want to use it.

Yes, the system does eliminate complicated handlebar/stem/frame internal cable routing, that's why I'm trying it out, however ridiculous or foolish you may think it would look.
The system I have does not have huge square button, but micro buttons, allow multiple locations to control the cable actuator, one at the end of aerobar extension, another next to rear brake lever.
This is an internet forum. If you didn't want people posting thoughts about that system, you shouldn't have posted a photo of it and said you were going to try it.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

BmanX

by BmanX

I would be interested in your set up as I know they have the MTB version pretty nailed down and were working on a version for Road/Gravel/TT/Tri which would be interesting to see.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

moonoi

by moonoi

none wrote:
moonoi wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:18 am
I have "done my research" and stand by what I said, it's completely pointless and serves no real purpose. There are others on this forum who have tried it, and were less than impressed, have you even read the comments on the link you posted....I don't really need to say anymore

How many miles have you ridden with them?

How many other riders do you know that have used them with at least a handful of rides?

Research produce evidence to allow suport for your claims, without providing any evidence, pretty clear that you're just lying.

You don't "need" to say anything more because you've zero evidence to support your claim.
You're being overly defensive over your choice to try it out.

The onus is on you to prove it's what you say it is. It's not up to me to do any research for you, that's just lazy on your part. I'm fact you haven't responded to my question on whether you'd read the comments (of people who have bought the system). I don't need to try it myself when I can read others experiences and understand it's a solution for a problem no one was asking for.

As for calling me a liar, that just proves you have no argument to back up your claims, it's just your opinion, whereas my opinion is it's a pile of junk with no real useful purpose. Not a lie, but a statement of my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

none

by none

wheelbuilder wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:45 am
This is an internet forum. If you didn't want people posting thoughts about that system, you shouldn't have posted a photo of it and said you were going to try it.
I realize that this is an internet forum, just because you have a thought or opinion on something doesn't make it worth posting.
I get it all the time, people who do not ride bicycles that tell me: cycling is dangerous, you're going to kill yourself on that bike, you should stop trying to ride your bike to work.
Do you think that's a worthy thought?
moonoi wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:13 am
You're being overly defensive over your choice to try it out.
Call it "defensive" if you want, I call out BS as they are.
I made zero claim about the system's performance or battery life, because I have not tried it myself.
moonoi wrote:
The onus is on you to prove it's what you say it is. It's not up to me to do any research for you, that's just lazy on your part. I'm fact you haven't responded to my question on whether you'd read the comments (of people who have bought the system). I don't need to try it myself when I can read others experiences and understand it's a solution for a problem no one was asking for.
I never said what this system is nor how it performs, I only posted a photo and said I would try it.
Plenty of people think and write about how dangerous cycling is, do you think all of them are legit opinions?
Do you think most of what other people wrote are true without trying to find out for yourself?
moonoi wrote:
As for calling me a liar, that just proves you have no argument to back up your claims, it's just your opinion, whereas my opinion is it's a pile of junk with no real useful purpose. Not a lie, but a statement of my opinion.
Again, I made zero claim about the system's performance or battery life, because I have not tried it myself; therefore, I have no need to back up any claims.

No, you don't need to try it for yourself since you've already decided that this system has "no real useful purpose", just because you fail to see the possibility of purpose, doesn't mean that this sytem cannot be useful for others.
No, your post may not be a lie, but your opinion is certainly baseless and without any knowledge of practical use of this product.
Why even bother posting in this thread? What does your posts actually contrubute to this thread? Are you just a troll?
Last edited by none on Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zinedrei

by zinedrei

i think they are giving feedback based on reviews that they have heard/read.

not every response to a post will be to your liking.
if someone says a comp or part is rubbish, then let them be.
there's no need to spend time and effort arguing since it does make you look like you're being defensive and justifying the purchase.

instead of banging heads directly, wouldn't it be better to take it with a grain of salt and see for yourself if what they're saying is indeed true since you already have the product.

sample is someone calling out the batt life. no need to make any unrelated remarks like the place he lives at is not good for biking since he shifts 500 times.

since you have not made any claims about anything about the product, try it out and then give a proper review.

if it's a good one and contradicts what other people said, you will silence the haters and may win them over.
on the other hand, if it's really crap like what others have said, you just then have to agree and accept the truth

none

by none

zinedrei wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:32 am
i think they are giving feedback based on reviews that they have heard/read.
Hence the problem, base your feedback on internet reviews without practical usage.
zinedrei wrote:
not every response to a post will be to your liking.
if someone says a comp or part is rubbish, then let them be.
there's no need to spend time and effort arguing since it does make you look like you're being defensive and justifying the purchase.
No doubt about the responses, but the apathy of non-reponse is what leads to most of the problems in the world: climate change, wealth gap, education failure, etc..
zinedrei wrote:
instead of banging heads directly, wouldn't it be better to take it with a grain of salt and see for yourself if what they're saying is indeed true since you already have the product.

sample is someone calling out the batt life. no need to make any unrelated remarks like the place he lives at is not good for biking since he shifts 500 times.

since you have not made any claims about anything about the product, try it out and then give a proper review.

if it's a good one and contradicts what other people said, you will silence the haters and may win them over.
on the other hand, if it's really crap like what others have said, you just then have to agree and accept the truth
We all ride for different purposes; similarily we might have differences in expectation of perfomance & functions of any equipment we choose to use.
Sure you may not want to try a new piece of equipment because of poor reviews or comments on the internet, but that doesn't mean that others will have the same expectation as you do; but at least you have to have used it to give it a fair comparison.

Here's a size comparison of the system (with battery instealled) vs a quater coin:

none

by none

Did the first test ride on the cheap Chinese TT bike.

Wireless Xshifter worked nicely.

Still dialing in the positions, seat height, etc.. will take a few more test rides.

Last edited by none on Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com